Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vegan Billboards from around the world.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Again, I would ask mods to put this in a separate thread.

Well, the aim of billboards is to promote something and other elements of the lifestyle have been mentioned on the thread so why not his comment?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

If you keep it somewhat related to the billboards it's fine. Otherwise I'll delete these posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Why I worry about the effect of these billboard and the pushing of the vegan agenda

I see what you are saying. It would appear that - billboards as an expression of veganism have evidently developed a certain following - with newly spotted ones been posted up on a regular basis

You mentioned the word cult earlier, interestingly the word 'cult' has two meanings - one relating to a religous type worship and a second - which denotes a person or thing that is popular or fashionable among a particular group or section of society eg
    "the series has become a bit of a cult in the UK"
    So applying the second - it's not unreasonable to see that these promotional billboards do have certain cult like aspects tbh.

And neither does it take a huge leap of logic to see how the beliefs and practices of a religion ie the Seventh-Day Adventists have evolved into today's veg*n movement.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/the-history-of-fake-meat-starts-with-the-seventh-day-adventist-church

Interstingly the American Dietetics Association was co-founded by Lena Cooper who was an active Seventh Day Adventist. This organisation today is frequently used by vegan advocates to justify and promote a vega*n diet with the following promotional advisory:
    It is the position of the American Dietetic Association that appropriately planned vegetarian diets, including total vegetarian or vegan diets, are healthful, nutritionally adequate, and may provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases.

Tbh I can't remember the number of times I've seen this piece of text quoted as a means of promoting veganism etc. However I only found out recently that the same organisation- (the American Dietetic Association) ideologically has a veg*n background.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

gozunda wrote: »
    I see what you are saying. It would appear that - billboards as an expression of veganism have evidently developed a certain following - with newly spotted ones been posted up on a regular basis

You mentioned the word cult earlier, interestingly the word 'cult' has two meanings - one relating to a religous type worship and a second - which denotes a person or thing that is popular or fashionable among a particular group or section of society eg
    So applying the second - it's not unreasonable to see that these promotional billboards do have certain cult like aspects tbh.

And neither does it take a huge leap of logic to see how the beliefs of the Seventh-Day Adventists have evolved into today's veg*n movement.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/the-history-of-fake-meat-starts-with-the-seventh-day-adventist-church

Interstingly the American Dietetics Association was co-founded by Lena Cooper who was an active Seventh Day Adventist. This organisation today is frequently used by vegan advocates to justify and promote a vega*n diet with the following promotional advisory:

Tbh I can't remember the number of times I've seen this piece of text quoted as a means of promoting veganism etc. However I only found out recently that the same organisation- (the American Dietetic Association) ideologically has a veg*n background.

It’s worth noting that the term Dietician holds different values in different countries. Here it’s a state protected term and only properly qualified Dieticians with specific training can use the term, everyone else is a quack.

I’m not sure about the US but my understanding it’s not the same qualification at all. So I can do a short basic course in America and call myself a dietician but that has no comparison to being a dietician here in Ireland.

That is why dieticians here have a much more rounded view and recommend a varied diet including meat, dairy and plenty of fruit and veg.

Much of the health benifets if veggie and vegan diets is fromnthe increased fruit and veg intake rather than the exclusion of meat and dairy, eating meat and dairy along with 7 portions of fruit and veg a day will be just as healthy.

More fruit and veg is tue way forward, but not at the expense of meat and dairy which are important in our diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,664 ✭✭✭Worztron

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

Worztron wrote: »

Shocking these advertisements should be banned disgusting.
    Anyway this animal only live to supply the human food chain, if not they would never have lived at all, veganism is actually more harmful to animals

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

the image on the bus looks photo-shopped in to me

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Good work Worztron. Keep them coming :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Saw the same one today more closer to home.

• Advertisement

Using debunked data?

I believe it was the now debunked World Watch report Written by Goodland & Anhang (Livestock and Climate Change, 2009) that came up with the rubbish figure of 51% which has been laughed at by the experts and at least one honest vegan.
    There’s only one problem with this eye-grabbing stat: it’s a load of manure. Emissions from livestock agriculture – including the methane from animals’ digestive systems, deforestation, land use change and energy use – make up around 15 per cent of global emissions, not 51 per cent.

https://climateandcapitalism.com/2016/02/13/22449/

It remains that Fossil fuel use and Transport are the two single biggest contributors to emissions on the planet, and only then agriculture which actually feeds people .

Plus the calculation for agriculture at present does not include the CO2 which ecosystems and grassland remove from the atmosphere by sequestering carbon in biomass, dead organic matter, and soils, which further offsets of emissions from this sector.

It just shows the propaganda continues*. It really doesn't help peoples impression of veganism when you get rubbish like that being promoted.

Edit: I tm followed the link to the Govegan website linked above and guess what?

Yes they are detailing Goodland & Anhangs, World Watch: Livestock and Climate Change, 2009: bull**** and now debunked figures

https://goveganworld.com/destroying-our-shared-environment/
    analysis shows that livestock and their byproducts actually account for at least 32,564 million tons of CO2e per year, or 51 percent of annual worldwide GHG emissions. 

Surprise surprise. And this is the type of ****e the farming community have to put up with again and again.

I can understand why some vegans dont want to eat meat - I do not understand why theres any need to use now disbunked misinformation.

"Destroying our shared environment" my backside.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

No talking to her it's like she is brain washed hence the cult comparison.
    I'm a very strong believer in eating meat and it's benefits.
    Also I think an animal is better to have a good life and then to killed humanly rather than never have lived, if we follow the vegan model these animals with not be bred

The veganuary thing certainly is a craze and I have seen a lot people going vegan, but whose diet is nutritional light

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

is_that_so wrote: »
    Well, the aim of billboards is to promote something and other elements of the lifestyle have been mentioned on the thread so why not his comment?

is_that_so, it just seemed worthy of a separate thread (to me), otherwise it might get buried and/or things go off-topic. Certainly some of Charles Ingles' words and claims are worth responding to in a focussed way.

I'm not a mod. so not sure of guidelines here. Carry on!

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

Shocking these advertisements should be banned disgusting.

It's subjective. I don't find them disgusting. I might not agree with them or the whole tactic but that's my subjective viewpoint.

The mods. have guidelines as to what's posted here and they're letting the thread stand.

From the car today. Sorry for the poor quality, I was sitting in the car.

Belfast

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    From the car today. Sorry for the poor quality, I was sitting in the car.

That looks like the one put up a while back- same bus / location ?

That looks like the one put up a while back- same bus / location ?

Shoo pest.

Belfast

Bit Ironic that appears on Twitter on a stationary phone box.

Do they even have phone boxes any more? Cant remember the last time I saw a working one up there tbh...

Bit Ironic that appears on Twitter on a stationary phone box.

Do they even have phone boxes any more? Cant remember the last time I saw a working one up there tbh...

Cool story, bro. You forgot your ‘lol’

• Advertisement

Shoo pest.

Now - no need get personal tbh. Boards.ie is a discussion fora - thanks

Cool story, bro. You forgot your ‘lol’

No 'Lol' as it is a genuine question. A reply to that ok and not just peevish for some reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Cults tend to redirect questions back to you or fail to answer questions entirely. Veganism embraces and answers all questions openly.
    What's the opposite of cult?
    Dogma perhaps.

Billboard/poster in local school attached ( it's an all boys)

auspicious wrote: »
    Cults tend to redirect questions back to you or fail to answer questions entirely. Veganism embraces and answers all questions openly.
    What's the opposite of cult?
    Dogma perhaps...

Cults? I had posted this previously ...
    interestingly the word 'cult' has two meanings - one relating to a religous type worship and a second - which denotes a person or thing that is popular or fashionable among a particular group or section of society eg

See:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109896447&postcount=184

[quote="gozunda;109911104"

and a second - which denotes a person or thing that is popular or fashionable among a particular group or section of society eg
    No talking to her it's like she is brain washed hence the cult comparison.

[/quote]

We are getting off topic now on this thread which will draw mod reprimands.
    I'll just say: the second use of the word cult is colloquial and not derogatory unlike the use of the word, unmistakably implied by Charles, to which I was referring.

We are getting off topic now on this thread which will draw mod reprimands.I'll just say: the second use of the word cult is colloquial and not derogatory unlike the use of the word, unmistakably implied by Charles, to which I was referring.

Yeah that from reply to Charles - no the second use of the word is a standard use and that's straight from the dictionary. https://www.google.ie/search?source=hp&ei=GRawXN-eA9Kd1fAP3fmJuAE&q=cult+&oq=cult+&gs_l=mobile-gws-wiz-hp.3..0l2j46j0l5.2322.12215..13071...3.0..0.186.980.1j7......0....1.......8..41j46i131i275j46i131j0i131j0i70i249.cinXzkDlj-E
    Dont think the first is derogatory tbh - it's just a descriptor no?
    Positive (vegan and normal) billboard here I saw - least we forget :)
    http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7343/9537851273_57440b5bda.jpg

Dublin

Dublin

That's a graphic one. Unfortunately we need more like it.

(Gozunda, I'd throw out whatever dictionary you are using.)

• Advertisement

That's a graphic one. Unfortunately we need more like it.

(Gozunda, I'd throw out whatever dictionary you are using.)

I'd say less of that kind of daft statements on billboards would be better tbh, but much like the official definition as detailed you'd probably disagree ...

Auspicious - Sorry if the official dictionary linked doesn't suit

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Advertisement