Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Should wolves be reintroduced to Ireland?

• 01-09-2018 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭

Wolves lived in the wild in Ireland until about 250 years ago. Their numbers are growing in mainland Europe today and there is talk of a cull. Should reintroducing wolves to Ireland be considered instead? It would save a few wolves on the continent and help to restore Ireland`s natural fauna. I would be in favour of it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Gingko

Wolves lived in the wild in Ireland until about 250 years ago. Their numbers are growing in mainland Europe today and there is talk of a cull. Should reintroducing wolves to Ireland be considered instead? It would save a few wolves on the continent and help to restore Ireland`s natural fauna. I would be in favour of it.

Good article on the reintroduction of wolves in Ireland here.. doesn't look like its possible unfortunately.. http://bioweb.ie/reintroduction-wolves-ireland/

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Edgarfrndly

Yes. Ireland used to be known as Wolf Land. Deer populations are a huge problem. They are a pest and carry extremely dangerous diseases. The problem however is where to reintroduce them in a manner which is safe for both them and people.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,990 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Wolves good to reduce rabbits. Or rely on foxes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Deedsie wrote: »
    In an ideal world it would be brilliant if wolves could be reintroduced in Ireland. Seems highly unlikely it will ever happen. Farmers would lose the plot entirely

I heard before that domesticated dogs are more of a problem for livestock than wolves in some countries.

Better living everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Think there's another thread on this somewhere.

While relatively sparsely populated humans are widespread around Ireland and there's nowhere where a self sustaining (or any level) number of wolves could be released. Sad to say.

Ireland hasn't had a potential human predator outside a zoo for a long time, and that's hot going to change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,627 ✭✭✭corks finest

They'd only hunt them into oblivion

• Registered Users Posts: 8,627 ✭✭✭corks finest

They'd only hunt them into oblivion dunno,think of the grants they'd apply for, fencing,drainage,loss of stock etc etc

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Fathom wrote: »
    Wolves good to reduce rabbits. Or rely on foxes?
    Great for reducing the deer population. However, it looks highly unlikely that it will happen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,990 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

mzungu wrote: »
    Great for reducing the deer population. However, it looks highly unlikely that it will happen.
    There is a species threshold. Below they fail. That minimum number would probably be shot away if reintroduced in Ireland.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

There is a species threshold. Below they fail. That minimum number would probably be shot away if reintroduced in Ireland.

Most likely, not to mention its been well over 200 years since they were here. The amount of pitfalls puts the kibosh on any plan.

• Advertisement

Most likely, not to mention its been well over 200 years since they were here. The amount of pitfalls puts the kibosh on any plan.
    Another species (locally) bites the dust.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Species local extinction. Sad.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Given that many attempts to reintroduce breeding populations of birds if prey are thwarted by poisoning, I can't see a reintroduction of wolves being welcomed by all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Given that many attempts to reintroduce breeding populations of birds if prey are thwarted by poisoning, I can't see a reintroduction of wolves being welcomed by all.

Agree - unfortunately. I don't think wolves would be a good idea because we don't have enough open space for them to roam without falling foul of the farmers gun. However, I'd have no problem letting beavers onto our rivers - clean it up and help with flooding - also might encourage more native tree growing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Beavers? Are you joking?
    We've enough invasive species making **** of our rivers without introducing beavers. FFS.

The Last Wolves of Ireland. Mount Leinster in County Carlow, 1786.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Beavers? Are you joking?
    We've enough invasive species making **** of our rivers without introducing beavers. FFS.

Not joking no. They aren't an invasive species btw and were native to the British Isles at one stage and have been reintroduced in the UK with some success. But don't hold back your feelings there - :)

"Ireland has a long relationship with wolves, with these creatures having been there since at least 34,000 BC, according to the latest carbon dating on remains."

"Ireland has a long relationship with wolves, with these creatures having been there since at least 34,000 BC, according to the latest carbon dating on remains."

We also had bears, which apparently polar bears are descended from.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭mattser

I have enough problems with dangerous dogs and their irresponsible owners while I'm out for a jog.

On the other hand you might get less grief from an unattended wolf, and they're far prettier than some of the other brutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Our treatment and disregard for the wildlife we already have is appalling...bringing Wolves here would be only bringing them to short lives of pain and misery.

Amazing to think that it's really only in the last 100-150 years that the habitat they would have thrived in has mostly disappeared.

Amazing to think that it's really only in the last 100-150 years that the habitat they would have thrived in has mostly disappeared.
    Question? Can you import a wolf as a pet in Ireland? Restrictions? I would imagine so. To have a wolf as a pet would require loads of space and they would be really difficult to train.

Question? Can you import a wolf as a pet in Ireland? Restrictions?

Same if you wished to import a Great White Shark or Tiger as a pet I would think.

Same if you wished to import a Great White Shark or Tiger as a pet I would think.
    In some US states you can. Wild animal restrictions apply. Friend had one. Had to be "introduced" to wolf by owner. After that, no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

There was someone on boards.ie that ran a shelter, she had a cross and it was very very unsuitable as a regular pet.

Regarding reintroduction, unfortunately the natural habitat for the Irish wolf is gone and livestock predation couldn't be avoided.

Interesting that our ancesters had a mutual respectful relationship with the wolves. The English wiped them out.

This is incredible.

https://www.yellowstonepark.com/things-to-do/wolf-reintroduction-changes-ecosystem

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Interesting that our ancesters had a mutual respectful relationship with the wolves. The English wiped them out.
    Sad.

Fathom wrote:

I would imagine so. To have a wolf as a pet would require loads of space and they would be really difficult to train. I would imagine quarantine would come into it and that would be a good few months. All in all, I don't think it would be a runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I would imagine so. To have a wolf as a pet would require loads of space and they would be really difficult to train. I would imagine quarantine would come into it and that would be a good few months. All in all, I don't think it would be a runner.

Not sure on the laws on unsuitable wild animals as pets. But unfortunately there's no law against idiocy. No amount of space and training will be enough to contain, control, stimulate and satiate a wolf without a pack unless you're looking at a social pack in a massive contained area with indigenous forestation, an abundance of natural prey and room for offspring break up packs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭catrat12

I know this sounds stupid and to be honest it was probably a Fox
    But I thought I saw a wolf in glencullen chasing sheep one evening few weeks back from my window

Advertisement