Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Horse Show

• 09-08-2018 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭

AS someone with a passing interest - any advice as to which is the more entertaining day of the horse show - Saturday or Sunday?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

It really depends on your interest. I think it you want to look at some showjumping, the Puissance is on the Saturday afternoon/evening. If there are children involved, it's interesting for them to watch as each 'round' of jumping is short and it's always exciting to see how high the horses can jump.

The Saturday is also a little more relaxed than during the week and there are loads of stands and shops to look at and a chance to pick up some nice and unusual things at decent value.

The Sunday is a little more chilled and does have the Grand Prix showjumping competition, but if it's not really your focus you'll find it pretty long and drawn out. Some of the shops do have good reductions, tho.

Personally, I'd go for the Saturday, and then you can head out on the town afterwards, or head home and still have a day to relax before you get up on Monday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Thanks for that, in the end I picked Sunday because the tickets for the seats available were better. Understandably, few decent seats left for the Saturday.

I used to watch the DHS as a kid all the time, but I don't think it is on TV anymore? It was definitely my memory of summer afternoons as a child! But I can't remember what the Grand Prix is like at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

I think the hunt chase still happens on the Sunday as well, that's always worth a watch, it's a bit of fun and something a bit different!

Raging I'm not getting there at all this year, enjoy!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Miserable weather forecast for Saturday so heading along this afternoon

Heard an interview on rte drivetime yesterday talking about the market for horses and ponies being back nearly to Celtic Tiger levels and lots of business being done privately at the show.

€30/€40k minimum for anything you see in the young event horse class apparently, and the tip top jumping ponies making up to €300,000! I know the plan for the really serious pony riders is to buy one of these, ride him for probably 2 years at until they are out of the age group for the height, and then sell on at hopefully at no loss, but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

Does anyone know are they going to put the coverage on the rte player? Was working today and would love to watch the nation's cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

TG1 wrote: »
    Does anyone know are they going to put the coverage on the rte player? Was working today and would love to watch the nation's cup.
    Its available on Fei youtube channel

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Does anyone know who the horse in the hackamore was offhand?
    Long shot, I know!

SLl0iJql.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Does anyone know who the horse in the hackamore was offhand? Long shot, I know!

Camara Bella, ridden by Barbara Schnieper?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Camara Bella, ridden by Barbara Schnieper?

That's quite likely! Thank you :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I got some excellent snaps at the horse show on Sunday. Will post them when I get to a computer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement