Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas 2018 Purchases.(Gift, decorations, food,etc)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

Bought a plain wreath in Ikea for €8 yesterday. I had to talk myself out of going into Dealz at lunchtime to get decorations for it. I figure that the longer I wait, the more choice I'll have. It's my first ever wreath so I'm very excited!

Penneys have tiny baubles that would be gorgeous on that :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

That's a lovely wreath. Very natural and real looking. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

It’s surprisingly nice for €8 isn’t it? I spent the whole walk back to the car talking about how much of a bargain it is. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

I love a bargain Toto, dealz had a lot of Christmas stuff yesterday when I popped in, your wreath will be fab

I'm online all day trying to get these Nike Golf shoes for himself that are meant to be released to Nike Plus members today they haven't appeared, they are meant to be on general sale tomorrow to the public I hope its not just the USA and I can get them online tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Bought my first ever Christmas duvet today. Penguins!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

I bought this last night:
    https://riverlanememories.com/collections/personalised-christmas-gifts/products/personalised-christmas-eve-box-with-festive

It's a bit dear but I figure that we'll have it for years :D And hopefully it'll be the start of a new tradition for us. I have a copy of the Night Before Christmas to put in it and I'll put some sweets in too for the kids.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

CheerLouth wrote: »
    I bought this last night:
    https://riverlanememories.com/collections/personalised-christmas-gifts/products/personalised-christmas-eve-box-with-festive

It's a bit dear but I figure that we'll have it for years :D And hopefully it'll be the start of a new tradition for us. I have a copy of the Night Before Christmas to put in it and I'll put some sweets in too for the kids.

I love them, they're gorgeous!

I also treated myself to a Yankee Christmas Magic candle - it smells divine! Am WFH today and have it lit, it's so nice :D

And it was half price so win win!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

CheerLouth wrote: »
    I also treated myself to a Yankee Christmas Magic candle - it smells divine! Am WFH today and have it lit, it's so nice :D

And it was half price so win win!

God I miss being able to WFH :(

I do it three days a week, Loughc, as otherwise I've a two hour commute (thanks M50 :rolleyes: ) But you've got to be disciplined! Speaking of which......bye! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,106 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Was WFH yesterday so got to dip in & out of the christmas forum a few times :) The thing I find with WFH though I end up putting in more hours than i do when in the office. Handy if desperately tyring to meet a deadline & avoiding the inevitable distractions in the office, but I actually find them more tiring when I finally turn off the pc.
    More often than not I like that 30 minutes on the train to clear my head as well & just 'switch off' after leaving the office.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

I like working from home if I have plenty to do, but if it’s a quiet day it can be a disaster. Also I never check my emails at lunchtime when I’m in the office, but when I’m at home I do. I think I feel like I need to prove that I’m working hard or something! It’s nice not having to get up early though.

DvB wrote: »
    Was WFH yesterday so got to dip in & out of the christmas forum a few times :) The thing I find with WFH though I end up putting in more hours than i do when in the office. Handy if desperately tyring to meet a deadline & avoiding the inevitable distractions in the office, but I actually find them more tiring when I finally turn off the pc.
    More often than not I like that 30 minutes on the train to clear my head as well & just 'switch off' after leaving the office.

Yep I agree on both those points! Especially when you get to play Christmas tunes on the way home to unwind.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,106 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I think I feel like I need to prove that I’m working hard or something!

This 100%!!
    We dont really have a WFH policy & its just senior staff that tend to be allowed do it, but I always have this background feling that I'm being scrutinised & need to work extra hard to show it wasnt a handy day or suchlike.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

DvB wrote: »
    This 100%!!
    We dont really have a WFH policy & its just senior staff that tend to be allowed do it, but I always have this background feling that I'm being scrutinised & need to work extra hard to show it wasnt a handy day or suchlike.

I used to work in a place that had no WFH policy and it drove me mad. I used to do it two days a week & then all of a sudden, they decided it wasn't ok anymore. In spite of other ppl being allowed to do it. So I said stuff this & left despite being there for 10 years.

In my current role, most people are not in the office every day so it's grand. Plus I'm normally flat out which is grand. Although I do miss the company & the bit of craic you get in the office.

I got these two in Dunnes today.

2rcoebr.jpg

Our first wreath! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

12 selections boxes bought tonight :D

BDJW wrote: »
    12 selections boxes bought tonight :D

I don't know how you have the willpower...they'd be gone by the end of the weekend in my house!!:D

Headed the shops this morning, picked up pj's and bootie slippers for my other half sister, thats both his sisters done now
    Slippers and dressing Gowan for my mam
    I got M&S chocolates half price €18.00 down to €9 my mam loves them so got her a box to go with her birthday present, a box for Christmas and some for our house too
    I got two new bins for our newly refurbished bathrooms
    I bought some cute loungewear for myself for over the Christmas and a 5 metre roll of Gold wrapping paper

I am making good progress with my presents, hoping to get them finished early this year
    I am after picking up cute matching pyjamas for my other half little nieces, we will pick them up some toys too

• Advertisement

Popped out to collect the groceries this morning and accidentally bought these.

Penneys

465370.PNG

Baubles for my wreath

465365.jpg

Tiger - bowl and napkin holder

465369.jpg

Glad you picked up the baubles, they'll be perfect for your wreath! Love the fox snow globe. Don't know how I missed it when I was in Penneys the other day :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

What great purchases! :)

I love the bowl. I have to get one now.

I love the napkin holder so unusual my pal would yelp if she seen it

Oooh I want that fox globe!!!

Forgot to mention something I wanted to buy in Tiger but didn't. They have these really cool hair accessories. This one turns your hair into a reindeer (it includes a hair doughnut to create the bun) and the other one turns your hair into a cone shape complete with Christmas lights. My hair is too short at the moment but I'd be all over them if it wasn't. They also have beard accessories, but my beard is also too short right now. :D

465382.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 8,316 ✭✭✭VanZan

I got this today for €7.99 in Home store and more:

465378.jpg

Also got this from a shop called Giftworks in the Parkway Shopping Centre for €20:

465379.jpg

Yeah I know it looks like a freebie with "An Post" written on it but a couple of the family are postmen so it's topical.

Lastly I got this last month from The Range for €8 (I think!):

465380.jpg

There's a wheel at the back where you can change the day number.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

I love the an post decoration, does it light up ye?
    VanZan wrote: »
    I got this today for €7.99 in Home store and more:

465378.jpg

Also got this from a shop called Giftworks in the Parkway Shopping Centre for €20:

465379.jpg

Yeah I know it looks like a freebie with "An Post" written on it but a couple of the family are postmen so it's topical.

Lastly I got this last month from The Range for €8 (I think!):

465380.jpg

There's a wheel at the back where you can change the day number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,316 ✭✭✭VanZan

Yeah that's it lighting up. Takes three AA batteries or there's an input for an AC adapter. I see now a boardsie called "Lord Spence" also picked up something from GiftWorks earlier in this thread.

This is it when turned off:

465383.jpg

Advertisement