Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amateur Drama Festivals (3 Act) 2018

• 05-03-2018 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭

554.jpg?q=1

This thread is late given that some festivals have already completed but it is that time of year again where amateur drama groups are competing in festivals nationwide in an effort to make it to the finals. Groups will be competing in either the Open or Confined sections.

Once again, the Open finals will be held in Athlone and this year, the Confined finals are being held in the South Wicklow Drama Festival.

I thought it would be nice to have a place where festival goers could discuss productions they have seen or plan to see over the coming weeks although I know this isn't the busiest forum:pac:.
    Who's brave enough to predict this years winners?
    Have you seen any production in training which you would class as a must see for others?

Where are the festivals on? festivalList.php?year=2018Map

Whats on nightly. Playlist

Recent All Ireland Placings - Open Section

1st: Dalkey Players - Dead Man's Cell Phone
    2nd: Moat Club, Naas - God of Carnage
    3rd: Prosperous Dramatic Society - The play about the baby

1st: Bridge Drama - Lost in Yonkers
    2nd: Dalkey Players - Jane Eyre
    3rd: Prosperous Dramatic Society - One Man two, Guvnors

1st: Palace Players - Conversations on a Homecoming
    2nd: Dublin Estuary Players - The Drawer Boy
    3rd: Ballyduff Drama Group - Takin Over the Asylum

Recent All Ireland Placings - Confined Section

1st: Doonbeg - The Night Alive
    2nd: Sillan Players - The Trappe Family
    3rd: D.A.D.S - The Odd Couple

1st: Compantas Lir - Proof
    2nd: D.A.D.S - The Gigli Concert
    3rd: Holycross/Ballycahill DG - The Thrill of Love

1st: Kilrush Drama Group - Poor Beast in the Rain
    2nd: D.A.D.S. - Someone Who'll Watch Over Me
    3rd: Doonbeg Drama Group - The Price

Results from 2003 to 2015

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

West Clare Festival.

Sliabh Aughty Drama Group presenting Kim Carney's "Moonglow"
    Maxine, a feisty, bitter Alzheimer's victim, doesn't want to move into a nursing facility. But when she meets Joe, a widower who shares her love for dance, her outlook begins to change. Although the two clash when lucid, their hazy memories overlap, and they begin an affair that rejuvenates and fulfills them. But can these lovers -- played simultaneously by an elderly twosome and a young, vivacious couple -- stay together despite their families' wishes and their fading vitality?

Very enjoyable. Story both funny and moving, often at the same time.

All parts well cast and thought in particular the quality of the accents was strong.

West Clare Drama Festival

Corofin Drama Group presents John B Keanes "Big Maggie"
    Set in 1960’s rural Ireland, Big Maggie is a compelling portrait of a woman who is determined to create a better life for herself and her children following the death of her husband. However, problems arise when her vision of the future begins to sit with increasing discomfort on the shoulders of her offspring

Corofin have made it to Athlone a number of times in recent years and have strong group members who have been with the group over an extended period.
    This was particularly evident in the production of this play with a very impressive set design and lighting throughout was also noticeable.

I really enjoyed this showing. John B Keane is obviously a noted playwright and I think there was little about this production he would have been unhappy about.

North Cork Drama Festival

Ennis Players present "Stolen Child" by Yvonne Quinn & Bairbre Ní Chaoimhe
    Humorous yet moving, Stolen Child tells the story of a woman adopted at birth who enlists the help of a colourful private detective to search for her mother and uncover the secrets of her family history. What begins as a personal odyssey for Angela Tierney to discover the secrets of her family history soon becomes a fascinating exploration of one of the darkest chapters in the history of modern Ireland.

This was another play, as with Moonglow which is described as humorous yet moving which I am always wary of as I find it hard to deliver on both elements.
    But again, I feel that this was achieved. The humorous element is largely delivered though the character Mick Tracey which was very well performed here. a particularly challenging part for the actress playing the role of Peggy who is on stage for the entire play.

As described, the story considers elements of industrial schools, Magdalene laundries, the role of the church and the state and the individuals who made up these institutions in a way which I felt worked well within the framework of the play.

An enjoyable performance.

Clare Drama Festival

Coolgreany Amateur Dramatic Society present Ariel Dorfman's "Death and the Maiden"
    Paulina Escobar is convinced that the guest her lawyer husband brings home is the same man who who kidnapped, tortured and raped her years ago. Holding him captive at gunpoint, she repeatedly attacks him and demands that he confess his crime. Her husband tries to stand by his wife and her claims, but he begins to doubt her story and the claims. She forces her husband to represent the guest in a mock trial that she devises.

This is a thriller set in an unknown country although several clues indicate it referring to Chile during the time of the rule of Pinochet. The play itself is set after the rule of the dictator had come to an end.

The adjudicator of the festival gave high praise to the set design which was indeed impressive from a design perspective but personally, I didn't find it represented the settings of the play as well as it might have done.

All actors were on point and were committed to their roles. Personally, I felt there was something amiss about the performance but I think that might be simply down to me as it is doing very well on the circuit and the adjudicator spoke highly of it.

West Clare Drama Festival

Skibereen Theatre Society present Mike Leigh's "Abigails Party"
    Beverley and Laurence are entertaining their new neighbours. A drink-fuelled party ensues with some unexpected and rather shocking consequences.

Set in 1970’s England, Abigail’s Party is a suburban comedy of manners, and a satire on the aspirations and tastes of the new middle class that emerged at the time.

I found this a decent production of a play but my sense at the end was that the play itself is lacking somewhat in substance or depth. The premise is quite straight forward but the attitudes some of the characters had for each other seemed to be a foreshadowing to something which would be revealed later but never emerged. Some of the events also seemed excessively dramatic or out of place in the general behaviour or personalities of the characters. I haven't seen the play before so I'm not sure how much of this opinion is due to seeing this production or whether it is down to the play itself.

I enjoyed the performance particularly of Beverly and the single scene setting was very well put together.

• Advertisement

Clare Drama Festival

Clann Machua present Martin McDonagh's "The Cripple of Inishmaan"
    The Cripple of Inishmaan is set on the remote island of Inishmaan off the west coast of Ireland. Word arrives that a Hollywood film is being made on the neighbouring island of Inishmore. The one person who wants to be in the film more than anybody is young Cripple Billy, if only to break away from the bitter tedium of his daily life.

Certainly one of the better known plays on the circuit. Clann Machua are competing in the confined competition at this years festivals.
    Once again, the set received high praise from the adjudicator and it was very good in a lot of ways. I would have like to see a door in to the shop rather than performers entering through an opening but maybe that's just me being picky.

Some strong performances by the actors, I particularly liked the performance of Aunt Eileen who is possibly one of the lesser characters in the play.

The adjudicator suggested that they keep in mind that it is a comedy and to have fun with the performance but again, personally, I'm not so sure. It is billed as a dark comedy and while there are some very funny elements to the play, I think the darker elements need to be considered and given due attention.

Claregalway Drama Festival

Glenamaddy Players present Christian O'Reilly's "The Cripple of Inishmaan"
    A love story of how two people starting at the end try to reach a new beginning. Tim and Jane are from different sides of the class divide, but after a random meeting at a New Year's Eve party leads to an unexpected pregnancy, they attempt to form a relationship against all the odds

This is an enjoyable play with moments of humour present in the middle of a love story. I feel it's a play in which everyone in the audience can be drawn to different elements of it depending on their own personal story.

It is a challenging play for the performers given that it is only a 2 person cast with both performers being on stage effectively throughout the entire play and leaving only for short periods. The challenges associated with this and going from one scene playing a particular emotion quite deeply to the next where the atmosphere is very different was picked up on by the adjudicator and both performers received praise for managing to complete this task throughout.

I enjoyed the production. The set was very simple and I was curious why they took the approach of completing minor costume changes on set in some instances. I think they did so to largely maintain the time frame being represented in the play at that moment.

At this point in the festivals circuit. The following is the top ten positions in the Open Category

1 - Ballyduff Drama Group - Albertine in Five Times
    2 - Prosperous Dramatic Society - Sylvia
    3 - Wexford Drama Group - Proof
    4 - Letterkenny Music and Drama Group - Beneath an Irish Sky
    5 - Kilmuckridge Drama Group - The Seafarer
    6 - Bridge Drama - Cash on Delivery
    7 - Brideview Drama Group - Stolen child
    8 - Cornmill Theatre - Waiting for Godot
    9 - Corofin Dramatic Society - Big Maggie
    10 - Nenagh Players - Duet for One

Full Open Table

And the confined standings.

1 - Sillan Players -
    2 - Glenamaddy Players - The Good Father
    3 - Ballycogley Players - The Night Alive
    4 - Curtain Call Productions - Some Girls
    5 - Coolgreany Drama Group - Death and the Maiden
    6 - Schull Drama Group - No Mans Land
    7 - Holycross/Ballycahill DG - Bold Girls
    8 - Sliabh Aughty Drama Group - Moonglow
    9 - Enniscorthy Drama Group - The beauty Queen of Leenane
    10 - Phoenix Players Tubbercurry - Buried Child

Full confined Table

Tipperary Drama Festival

Brideview Drama Group present "Stolen Child" by Yvonne Quinn & Bairbre Ní Chaoimhe
    Humorous yet moving, Stolen Child tells the story of a woman adopted at birth who enlists the help of a colourful private detective to search for her mother and uncover the secrets of her family history. What begins as a personal odyssey for Angela Tierney to discover the secrets of her family history soon becomes a fascinating exploration of one of the darkest chapters in the history of modern Ireland.

This is the second time I have seen this play on this years circuit. Ennis also are putting it on. This was part of the reason why i wanted to see it, to see how 2 groups handled it in the same year. The humorous but moving element as described in the synopsis came through very well. Similarly when I saw it last week, I felt the play touches on a lot of significant and evocative elements in Irish life for the previous generations and does so quite well.

A very enjoyable production. The set really was very impressive. It made the stage seem much bigger than it normally is with the amount that was fitted in very cleverly. I thought the actor playing Angela delivered a very strong performance while talking to others there, a lot were taken by the performance of Peggy.

Brideview are in a good position to make it to Athlone and based on last nights performance, I can see why.

Claregalway Drama Festival.

Enniscorthy Drama Group presenting Martin McDonagh's "The beauty Queen of Leenane"
    The Beauty Queen of Leenane is set in the mountains of Connemara and tells the story of Maureen Folan, a plain and lonely woman in her early 40s, and Mag, her manipulative, aging mother. Mag’s interference in Maureen's first and potentially last romantic relationship sets in motion a chain of events that are as tragically funny as they are horrific.

As with The cripple of Inishmaan, also by Martin McDonagh, this is a very well known play on Irish stages.
    The set was (once again) quite impressive and the adjudicator alluded to it's accuracy by saying that "It looks like it smells" which was exactly the sense McDonagh was trying to portray in his writing. It was very well put together and the plumbed water in the tap led to a feature which was probably not intended but I found added to the realism. The tap dripped when turned off meaning that the noise of water hitting the metal sink could be heard (by those nearer the front) which was very realistic.

This production is competing in the confined section. I found there was a lot to enjoy in it. The set, as mentioned, lighting also was well done. The actors performances also were very enjoyable and managed to show some of the depth which exists, particularly within the two female roles. Very enjoyable.

• Advertisement

Compantas Lir presenting Tennessee Williams's "The Glass Menagerie"
    Abandoned by her husband, Amanda Wingfield comforts herself with recollections of her earlier, more gracious life in Blue Mountain when she was pursued by gentleman callers. Her son Tom, a poet with a job in a warehouse, longs for adventure and escape from his mother’s suffocating embrace, while Laura, her shy, crippled daughter, has her glass menagerie and her memories.

Amanda is desperate to find a suitable husband for her daughter, but when a long awaited gentleman caller does arrive, Laura’s romantic illusions are crushed. The Glass Menagerie by Tennessee Williams is an evocation of loneliness and lost love and one of his most powerful and moving plays

This is a memory play from Tennessee Williams which catapulted him in to the limelight. There are autobiographical elements to it with respect to his family and himself. It has a curious style with the narrator sometimes engaging with the audience in the present time (or time of the play) and more times, in the same scene engaging with characters in the historic time who were active on stage.

The set was very simple but had several nice touches and the cloth screen worked very well to provide a backdrop to the main set but when lighting behind it was used allowed people to observe what was going on behind it very well also.

All parts were suitably cast, the part of the narrator, Tom was an older man which suited him very much as the narrator which, I felt, was his primary role. The adjudicator highlighted that she felt Laura was perfectly cast which was something I also felt throughout the performance. The actor playing the part of Amanda was also very well suited and committed completely to the role.

I hadn't seen this play before but enjoyed it very much.

Lifford Players presenting Brian Friel's "Dancing at Lughnasa"
    A rich and deeply moving account of the lives of the five Mundy sisters and their ailing older brother are brought to life through the eyes of Michael, son of the youngest sister, Christina. Set in rural Ireland in 1936, the play takes an affectionate look at this family and the difficult circumstances in which the women, in particular, attempt to hold things together.

There is a lot going on in this play! Apart from the relatively large cast of characters who play significant roles throughout, the layers to each of their stories give plenty food for thought. Elements of the set received high praise from the adjudicator but there were also some points which were quite strongly identified as not working.

All of the participants were well cast with each of the 5 sisters being impressive in their commitment to the subtleties of the character which was being played. the male characters, similarly were well cast and delivered strongly in their performances. I did feel however that given that it is a memory play, the role of the narrator plays a significant part in the tone of the production and in this sense, I felt he could have been more fluid in his delivery to indicate it as a personal memory rather than a retelling of a historic event. Overall a very enjoyable production with one particular dance scene being especially memorable.

Final positions are close to being decided. The following is the top ten positions in the Open Category

1 - Ballyduff Drama Group - Albertine in Five Times
    2 - Prosperous Dramatic Society - Sylvia
    3 - Wexford Drama Group - Proof
    4 - Brideview Drama Group - Stolen child
    5 - Bridge Drama - Cash on Delivery
    6 - Kilmuckridge Drama Group - The Seafarer
    7 - Letterkenny Music and Drama Group - Beneath an Irish Sky
    8 - Compántas Lir - The Glass Menagerie
    9 - Nenagh Players - Duet for One
    10 - Cornmill Theatre Group - Waiting for Godot

Full Open Table

And the confined standings.

1 - Glenamaddy Players - The Good Father
    2 - Sillan Players - Una Pooka
    3 - Schull Drama Group - No Mans Land
    4 - Ballycogley Players - The Night Alive
    5 - Curtain Call Productions - Some Girls
    6 - Coolgreany Drama Group - Death and the Maiden
    7 - Holycross/Ballycahill DG - Bold Girls
    8 - Sliabh Aughty Drama Group - Moonglow
    9 - Enniscorthy Drama Group - The beauty Queen of Leenane
    10 - Phoenix Players Tubbercurry - Buried Child

Full confined Table

And that is the end of my involvement in seeing participants compete during this years circuits. Its looks like I'll have seen 2 of the finalists in the Open section and 4 of the finalists in the confined if the current table positions remain the same.

I will update after the finals are completed in May.

I've seen 11 plays over the last two weeks and enjoyed the experience of fitting in so many shows in a short period immensely. I had hoped that there would be some conversation around the events from others, this was never intended to be a blog as such but seeing as I started I decided to continue.

And finally, Tell me How's awards from the shows I've seen :D
    I'm not qualified to suggest these as "Best of" but are simply the performances I enjoyed the most.

Open Play - Brideview Drama Group - Stolen Child
    Confined Play - Sliabh Aughty - Moonglow
    Actor - Part of Joe - Sliabh Aughty Moonglow
    Actress - Part of Maggie - Lifford Players - Dancing at Lughnasa
    Theatre Moment - Ennis Players - Stolen Child - The Fire scene

Advertisement