Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

FIT ICTAP Software Development or Springboard route

• 22-02-2018 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hi ,

Just looking for opinions here.

I want to do either a FIT ICTAP apprenticeship in Software Development or a Springboard software development conversion course(have an undergrad already).

There are things that are appealing about both routes.

The FIT ICTAP is 6 months college then 18 months of 3-4 days paid work placement with a sponsor company a week and 1-2 days college. Leaving cert needed then selection is based on an aptitude test and interview with a sponsor company.

The Springboard route is a 9 month academic year in college and then a 3-6 month unpaid internship.

I imagine the Fit route is more of a guarantee of a job as you will be embedded with a company for 18 months but the conversion courses boast a high employment rate too.

The springboard courses get you a level 8 higher diploma in Software development but the Fit Ictap earns you the following;

"1st year - Diploma in ICT Technologies at Level 5, Professional Competence Award AP1 2nd year - Diploma in ICT Technologies at Level 6, Professional Competence Award AP2"

So lets say money and time commitment aside , which course do people think would be more beneficial , the higher level springboard or the lower level FIT ICTAP tech apprenticeship with much more direct experience in industry ?

Your thoughts are much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 kkeith5

marvin2k wrote: »
    Hi ,

Just looking for opinions here.

I want to do either a FIT ICTAP apprenticeship in Software Development or a Springboard software development conversion course(have an undergrad already).

There are things that are appealing about both routes.

The FIT ICTAP is 6 months college then 18 months of 3-4 days paid work placement with a sponsor company a week and 1-2 days college. Leaving cert needed then selection is based on an aptitude test and interview with a sponsor company.

The Springboard route is a 9 month academic year in college and then a 3-6 month unpaid internship.

I imagine the Fit route is more of a guarantee of a job as you will be embedded with a company for 18 months but the conversion courses boast a high employment rate too.

The springboard courses get you a level 8 higher diploma in Software development but the Fit Ictap earns you the following;

"1st year - Diploma in ICT Technologies at Level 5, Professional Competence Award AP1 2nd year - Diploma in ICT Technologies at Level 6, Professional Competence Award AP2"

So lets say money and time commitment aside , which course do people think would be more beneficial , the higher level springboard or the lower level FIT ICTAP tech apprenticeship with much more direct experience in industry ?

Your thoughts are much appreciated

I’m in the same situation right now trying to decide between the two. Firstly I did a springboard in DIT (failed it) and it was a joke terrible teachers and poorly organized. But I know other people who did springboard and got internships right after and led to a full time position.

What is appealing about fit is being set up with a company right away instead of wondering during a springboard course will u even get anything. Problem with fit is knowing when the course is gonna start they seem to keep delaying it. Although you won’t get as high of qualification your getting a job as a software developer which is the goal.

I might be a bit biased because of my experience but I hope to get accepted onto fit with springboard as a second option.

Advertisement