Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fodder Crisis

• 08-12-2017 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭

Apologies if there is a thread on this but after a quick looksee can't see one.
    Surprised at that as from reading on here it seems many if not the majority are farming in DA areas.The papers are full of it and it seems to be a topic of conversation even down here in the sunny South East.

Down here no shortage of feed but a serious lack of straw moving.Whether people are waiting for price rises or its not there is hard to know.A lot of straw was lost on the ground and also a good bit was baled after turning etc and would be of dubious quality at best.
    Bales of hay are ranging 23 to 30 euro,4x4 straw 20/25 euro,silage somewhat similar and 8x4x3 good straw hitting 60/65 a bale.All those ex yard.Add in transport of maybe 100/150 miles each way and you have rather expensive inputs.
    So are things as bad as everyone says or is it just a small proportion of farmers in trouble ie is this going to be a repeat of 2012 or will a reasonable Spring avert the crisis?
    Lots of talk/meetings it seems but is anything actually happening?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,055 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Apologies if there is a thread on this but after a quick looksee can't see one.
    Surprised at that as from reading on here it seems many if not the majority are farming in DA areas.The papers are full of it and it seems to be a topic of conversation even down here in the sunny South East.

Down here no shortage of feed but a serious lack of straw moving.Whether people are waiting for price rises or its not there is hard to know.A lot of straw was lost on the ground and also a good bit was baled after turning etc and would be of dubious quality at best.
    Bales of hay are ranging 23 to 30 euro,4x4 straw 20/25 euro,silage somewhat similar and 8x4x3 good straw hitting 60/65 a bale.All those ex yard.Add in transport of maybe 100/150 miles each way and you have rather expensive inputs.
    So are things as bad as everyone says or is it just a small proportion of farmers in trouble ie is this going to be a repeat of 2012 or will a reasonable Spring avert the crisis?
    Lots of talk/meetings it seems but is anything actually happening?

I'd be surprised if, coming so soon after 2013, that farmers haven't taken steps already not to get caught out,
    Going into the winter knowing that you haven't enough feed to get to mid april and doing nothing is going to end bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭20silkcut

I know of a farmer with 200 bales of silage and 2 cows and 2 weanlings. I know of another with 90 bales of hay and one horse.

While there may be lads short individually in certain parts I think collectively there is enough fodder in the country which is probably what Michael creed was alluding to. I don’t see us importing stuff from France or England just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

wrangler wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if, coming so soon after 2013, that farmers haven't taken steps already not to get caught out,
    Going into the winter knowing that you haven't enough feed to get to mid april and doing nothing is going to end bad.

True but for a lot of farmers up the country winter started in August- September. If I were farming land like that I'd shut the gate and walk away not worth the misery in a bad year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

Fodder beet plentyfull around me if anyone is stuck

fergus1001 wrote: »
    Fodder beet plentyfull around me if anyone is stuck

Sure would beet lucky bags any day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭anthony500_1

See a man on donedeal advertising straw imported from England, in his add he sates he is not out to make a killing just a small make up on his costs........ No price of coarse I'd say he is banking on a shortage across the country

See a man on donedeal advertising straw imported from England, in his add he sates he is not out to make a killing just a small make up on his costs........ No price of coarse I'd say he is banking on a shortage across the country

Yeah, I'd say he's bringing straw over from the uk just for the fun of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Yeah, I'd say he's bringing straw over from the uk just for the fun of it.

Sort of public service thing ??

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I think that lads that think there is a killing to be made on fodder this year may be on for a shock. Shortages are localised and transportation will make straights and ration more economical. It is also early I the winter so lads if they are tuned in can take remedial action.

Lots of last year's silage around still some of which is still good quality. However silage is expensive to transport. Lots of hay sitting in sheds for 2 years and over as well.

If we get an early spring prices for hay and silage will collapse in February and March. Minimum roughage/fibre and ration may be the way to go if there is a poor spring

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭visatorro

Dunno there seems to be alot of bales being moved around here. 30 dropped into the yard here for middling stuff. Dry but stemmy. Bought a few bales because I started feeding heifers in September. I know I could buy meal but didn't want stock getting over fat. No point looking for stuff around paddies day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

All fine around here but up in gurteen and menlough there is a serious lack of fodder

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭greenfield21

Buying meal here to get a bit more out of the silage, paying 220€ t for it collected. Its 13% p, seems like I'm getting ripped of?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭White Clover

Buying meal here to get a bit more out of the silage, paying 220€ t for it collected. Its 13% p, seems like I'm getting ripped of?

What is the make up of the meal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭Who2

I reckon there's still a lot of people that haven't realized they will be short. I'm half way through my pit and half way through the bales, tanks will be full well before open date for spreading and I'm using more meal than ever. I'm going to put out a batch of light heifers in January and the same goes for the spring calves as they calve and I'll just get out I reckon. Twenty minutes down the road from me and they are down to the last batches of feeding already.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I've enough till March 20 by my reckoning. Wilted silage well last year so bales are lasting longer than I expected. I'm also feeding meal to anything still growing or milking. Have loads of grass too that didn't get grazed due to the wet weather. A fine spring and I'll be grand. A wet one and I might be in trouble.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

A wilted Mchale bale has a lot of grass in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Willfarman wrote: »

From 750kg for dry wilted stemmy poor quality ones we bought, to 850kg for our own third cut that got a bit of a wilt, to 950-1000kg for paddock bales that were baled fairly quickly after mowing. Fusion 3 baler.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

From 750kg for dry wilted stemmy poor quality ones we bought, to 850kg for our own third cut that got a bit of a wilt, to 950-1000kg for paddock bales that were baled fairly quickly after mowing. Fusion 3 baler.

Definitely would need a loader for litfting them. Tractor loader wouldn't last long at them

Definitely would need a loader for litfting them. Tractor loader wouldn't last long at them

Bil uses 1400-1500 bales per year baled by the same contractor. He has one if those big 4cyl masseys around 115hp with a loader for the job. Keeps them changed regularly enough though. Every 5 yrs or so. Most of his would be in the fairly well wilted category though. Somewhere between 200 and 250kg dm in the fusions regardless of the quality or dm of the material.

Would there really be that much difference between a fusion and any other type of baler.

• Advertisement

Would there really be that much difference between a fusion and any other type of baler.

Our krone pops out 700/750 kg bales. But she's 16 years old. 1t is as much as our Massey can handle. Wouldn't be mad about having that on the front of her every day

Willfarman wrote: »

Wilting silage in general is a great job. I know that Teagasc and most advice is contrary tp too much of a wilt but I find that cattle do well on wilted silage even though it may not test well. My second cut is 40%DM and my first cut is about 33%DM. As well I have some haylage type Hybrid that is 50%+. P was good on it all 14% on first cut but DMD was 69 it was cut first week in June.

2nd cut was down at 66DMD but cattle stores are doing ok on it. Two bales of 2nd cut is feeding 16 450ish kg store for two days. I cost silage at 23/bale to make so with minerals and a bit of lime they are costing. It is costing 78.5 cent/day in feed costs I knpow it is expensive but what can you do. When they go onto 1st cut it will cost about 90c/day, I will be broke. :)

Slava Ukrainii

Wilting silage in general is a great job. I know that Teagasc and most advice is contrary tp too much of a wilt but I find that cattle do well on wilted silage even though it may not test well. My second cut is 40%DM and my first cut is about 33%DM. As well I have some haylage type Hybrid that is 50%+. P was good on it all 14% on first cut but DMD was 69 it was cut first week in June.

2nd cut was down at 66DMD but cattle stores are doing ok on it. Two bales of 2nd cut is feeding 16 450ish kg store for two days. I cost silage at 23/bale to make so with minerals and a bit of lime they are costing. It is costing 78.5 cent/day in feed costs I knpow it is expensive but what can you do. When they go onto 1st cut it will cost about 90c/day, I will be broke. :)

Bass, that's a bale/day? 23/day +minerals and lime or 1.5ish/hd/day?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

If lads had their costings done up as good as Bass, they would see that having to buy bales at 25 euro isnt he end of the world.

Knowing your cost of production is lesson 1 in any business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Dunedin

I cost silage at 23/bale to make so with minerals and a bit of lime they are costing. :)

Would you mind putting up the breakdown of the €23 per bale

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭newholland mad

Even in the surplus areas of the East of England which is a long way to the port straw is making upwards of £120 per tonne. Add in haulage and it's no wonder he hasn't a price on his add

Bass, that's a bale/day? 23/day +minerals and lime or 1.5ish/hd/day?

Sorr WC that should have been one bale. for 16/2 day. I actually feed them two at the time and they last four days. They might be a bit tight the last day but they clean up the feed face completely
    Dunedin wrote: »
    Would you mind putting up the breakdown of the €23 per bale

Cutting is 1.5/bale I have my own mower. 8 euro/bale to the contractor to bale, wrap and rake. Early first cut has extra wrap as it is at the back of the stack of bales and will be last used 2nd cut is usually standard wrapped as it is the first used and will not be there the following year. So plastic is about 3.4/bale. Drawing and stacking is 1 euro/bale some by contractor some by myself. A crop of silage will take about 100N, 100K and 30P. It is a mixture of slurry and Nitrogen usually urea and 0-7-30/MOP. Usually I average about 8 bales/acre with the newer balers.

100 units of N/acre costs 4.5/bale. 3K gallons slurry costs about 3/bale. MOP and 0-7-30 cost about 350/ton. When you mix and match I cost fertlizer at 9/bale. I was lucky this year as I hit good weather windows to cut silage. If wilt was not as good cost would drop slightly as fertlizer cost/bale would drop and I might revert to standard number of wraps/bale but all other cost remain much the same.

Slava Ukrainii

Are you sure 2 bales is feeding 16 stores for 2 days bass? I've 30 incalf heifers eating 2 bales every 2 days. 2nd cut aswell, not tested but reasonably good quality

Are you sure 2 bales is feeding 16 stores for 2 days bass? I've 30 incalf heifers eating 2 bales every 2 days. 2nd cut aswell, not tested but reasonably good quality

Should that be 2 bales/day G2M?
    I have a bunch of 20 stores 450ish kg eating a bale of wilted paddock grass every 2 days along with 4kg/hd meal. They'd be licking the concrete after 44 hours.

• Advertisement

I correct that it is two bales/pen of 16 ever four days. I feed no ration with it as I consider that I am only giving Larry beef that has no margin for me when I feed store ration for the winter. these store are about 450kgs, I have heavier one eating a tad more and lighter ones eating a tad less. I

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement