Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GSM Relay RTU5024 - anyone use this

Options
  • 03-05-2017 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Just looking for advice- I just installed the RTU5024 as a GSM gate Relay. I'm wondering has anyone used this before. It's working ok but not sure how to get this system to automatically close the gates after a certain period say 2 minutes?? It was difficult to get installation instructions to have it open the gate so maybe it doesn't have that function. I can just call the gate again to close but would like it to automatically do this.

It's connecting to a FAAC 452 control board. Any help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,640 ✭✭✭✭altor

Alangers wrote: »
    Just looking for advice- I just installed the RTU5024 as a GSM gate Relay. I'm wondering has anyone used this before. It's working ok but not sure how to get this system to automatically close the gates after a certain period say 2 minutes?? It was difficult to get installation instructions to have it open the gate so maybe it doesn't have that function. I can just call the gate again to close but would like it to automatically do this.

It's connecting to a FAAC 452 control board. Any help appreciated

You more than likely need to connect the relay off the gate opener into a pulse on the gate controller.
    This will have a set time for the gate to close after opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

It is the programming of the gate control board that governs the actions of the gate, not the GSM unit, all that does is it probably sends a pulse only.

Check the manual for the gate controller and set it up for automatic closing.

Also double check that the safety of the gates comply with the recent H&S regulations otherwise you might be open to trouble in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Anj1813

I know its an old post but... This device is very simple. Send txt message: passwordGOT002# to rtus ph no. Thats it. 002 means 2 sec.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭coxy123

Added an RTU5024 last night. Was working fine yesterday. When I checked this morning I couldn't open the automated gate from intercom or GSM - not a clue what's after happening - power still going to Gate control panel. Any ideas why the gsm relay addition has caused this.:(

Hi Coxy123, What did you hear when you made a call? Maybe bip, bip, bip like no one picked up the call?

• Advertisement

Anj1813 wrote: »
    Hi Coxy123, What did you hear when you made a call? Maybe bip, bip, bip like no one picked up the call?

Yes, I think that's what I heard Anj1813 - no dial tone, just dialled and then pretty much dropped but gate did open. My Gate CP is a Gibidi F4 plus if that's any use. Thing is there is a switch in CP that has a light but not seeing any light on CP itself. Any further checks you recommend are welcome. Thx.

Hi. Turn of power TRU5024 for 10sec. Type of gates controler doesnt mater.

Hi. Turn of power TRU5024 for 10sec. Type of gates controler doesnt mater.

Problem is .16 amp fuse blows if I attach it!

coxy123 wrote: »
    Problem is .16 amp fuse blows if I attach it!

Attach RTU? Not possible. You use 5V power supply. Did You connect 240V to relay? Check it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭howsshenow

I am currently playing around with one of these Gsm relays for electric gates. I find it desperately temperamental. It can take 10 hours to reply to a text message. Yes it occasionally works but alot of times when you call it you get "please leave a message..". Maybe it is the Tesco Sim card I am using?? but it works fine in phone.. One thought that is going through my mind is that FAAC control board supplies 28 volts dc to the GSM, but the Gsm is rated at less than 24Volts??
    I am looking at getting a more expensive model and perhaps with an app.

• Advertisement

Attach RTU? Not possible. You use 5V power supply. Did You connect 240V to relay? Check it out!

Using terminal board connection for power supply. Says it can have a max. Rating of 8 W but it has photcells also on it.I can supply a pic. if any good. Should I be lookinv at a different connection to connect rtu... Thx.

The connection of RTU is very easy. I use always separate ps and its always warm. It cant cose problems. Gates are connected to NC or NO relay, depend. No possibility to trip fuse. You can show pics. Will resolve the problem. And gates type pls.
    Pics: one of my RTUs

Thanks Anj1813. Gate is wrought iron standard swing type. On attachment power goes to terminal 20 (+) and 21 (-). NO relay into 19. Ignore, LED's being Off - fuse had gone at that stage. the unit you posted is exactly the same as mine.

VOLTAGE ON THIS PCB IS TOO BIG.
    RTUs need 12V !
    It looks like your RTU is burned.
    I had ones the same story :-(
    RIP RTU.

VOLTAGE ON THIS PCB IS TOO BIG.
    RTUs need 12V !
    It looks like your RTU is burned.
    I had ones the same story :-(
    RIP RTU.

I never received a power supply unit like your's from pic. Is there much to setting this up - you seem to know what you're talking about. Thx. again.

"It can take 10 hours to reply to a text message."
    Txt to RTU: (passwordEE) what will be back? Full signal 31.99.
    "... please leave a message.."
    Ask in ur mobile provider to switch of voicemail
    "... the Tesco Sim card"
    I use Lycamobile only. Important to not forget to topup every 4months.
    "FAAC control board supplies 28 volts"
    Too big voltage. Max 12V
    "... an app"
    RTUs have own apps. If u need for commercial use RTU 5025W. (Only W for Europe) Domestic, 5024, app usless. Better to create an icon: "fast call" on a screen.

Power off/on will reset mobile connection. Helpful.

http://gsm-gate-opener.com this is original page.

Power supply on our side to organize.
    I deal with RTUs from 2015.

Thanks coxy123 for the photo showing your isolation switch inside the Control box. I have copied this idea, sound :)
    Thanks Anj1813 for all the information. I will follow up on the tips on the Tesco sim card and also look at the Lycamobile one when I get setup. I have taken on board the information on the possible overvoltage. So I have run a new "signal" cable from the Control board back to the garage where I will now locate the GSM unit. I don't have the patience for the RTU Gsm at the minute and am about to order a "GSM Activate" self contained unit which is 3G enabled. https://gsm-activate.co.uk/product/gsm-electric-gate-opener-240v/? I think this is the best all in one unit in an ip rated enclosure. It also has a second relay for single gate operation.
    I will report back when I have it setup.
    Thanks again & much apprecited.

Maybe in THE SAME price you want much more advanced device RGSM001S from CAME? CAME its a brand company. You can controll and setup online, more outlets... Much more professional. An app with hundreds functions. https://www.cameconnect.net/came/pages/addon/RGSM001_wiring_diagrams.html I would love to help you and coxy123, thats why very good price. Of corse brand new, an invoice...

Thanks Anj1813 - I'll take a look at your "Came" recommendation over the weekend and see if I can figure it out the "online" and "multiple outlets" etc and see if it is worth it.

• Advertisement

Anj1813 I have had a look at the CAME connect system and the GSM modules..
    It is impressive stuff if you had the use for it (I don't at the moment) and if a person could figure out how to "do it yourself". There are other forums on Boards and elsewhere about automation and none of them seem to refer to this system. I certainly don't want to be a "launch diy customer".
    I would also be concerned with the running cost of this. An ordinary simple GSM unit just receives a call or text and doesn't cost the user anything only a few euro every 4 or 6 months to keep the Sim card "alive". I think this Came system would be using data on the SIM card and would end up costing the user up to €20 per month. Fine if you are using the full package of slave modules but not for a simple gate opener. Plus, I could be wrong but it looks like you need a Wireless network to connect (Broadband package€€) the different slaves if you go for the full package.

For now I am happy to buy a simple GSM unit. Yes, the one I am looking at is way expensive for what it does... but if it works on all networks and doesn't give any trouble then it will be worth it.
    Thanks

howsshenow Thanks for recognising the theme. CAME is very popular in Cork area, and as I know in all Ireland. Yes this module is very advanced technologically, You right, and has much more functionality than You need. Can be used as controller through data transferring unit to some small or very big systems, or as a simple GSM opener. Will never use data ownself. As a simple GSM opener works like all of them. Doesn`t need additional modules. Needs top-up every 3 - 4 monts depends which network. As a simple GSM opener can controll gates, switch of/off lights on driveway, activate or deactivate alarm, open/close garage... all in the same time. And it doesn`t cost anything. Im writing this comment only to clarify some of your thoughts for other readers. And please come back with some comments about your new device.

howsshenow wrote: »
    Thanks coxy123 for the photo showing your isolation switch inside the Control box. I have copied this idea, sound :)
    Thanks Anj1813 for all the information. I will follow up on the tips on the Tesco sim card and also look at the Lycamobile one when I get setup. I have taken on board the information on the possible overvoltage. So I have run a new "signal" cable from the Control board back to the garage where I will now locate the GSM unit. I don't have the patience for the RTU Gsm at the minute and am about to order a "GSM Activate" self contained unit which is 3G enabled. https://gsm-activate.co.uk/product/gsm-electric-gate-opener-240v/? I think this is the best all in one unit in an ip rated enclosure. It also has a second relay for single gate operation.
    I will report back when I have it setup.
    Thanks again & much apprecited.
    howsshenow, have you done anymore with gsm unit. Would be interested to hear back from you. Thanks

I never received a power supply unit like your's from pic. Is there much to setting this up - you seem to know what you're talking about. Thx. again.

Still unsure how to supply power to rtu - I need the steps please. Was told before that I needed a 12V 2A AC/DC Power Supply Adapter but how does this attach to gate control panel..

Still unsure how to supply power to rtu - I need the steps please. Was told before that I needed a 12V 2A AC/DC Power Supply Adapter but how does this attach to gate control panel..

Ill answer u on Sunday. With some pics. Will have more time.

Ill answer u on Sunday. With some pics. Will have more time.

How's this looking?

Hello Coxy.

connection diagram Gibidi F4 plus

connection-Gibidi-F4-plus.jpg
    connect RTUS "COM" to "13 COM", RTUS "NO" TO "19 START" - BROWN LINE Picture below.
    connect RTUS "+ and -" to 12V outlet from power supplier - BLUE LINE Power Supplier has cable finished with a plug. Cut out the plug and use naked cable. RED +. Black -.
    connect power supplier, 220V cabel, BROWN core to "9 PHASE" BLUE core to "10 NEUTRAL" - RED LINE Power supplier has to be without 220V plug, has to have cabel or connector. Cut out the plug if needed. Dont buy wall adapter power supply!

Pictures show different pcb. Doesnt metter.

Box-RTU5024.jpg

E.G. Power Supplier like this one. Cut out plugs: 12v-2a-power-supply.jpg

Shop: https://www.freetv.ie/power-adapter/

how it looks in one of "my" gates: Box1-RTU5024.jpg

I hope it helps. Good look.

Many Thanks Anj. It was the 'power' part I was unclear of.

So at 220V end of new power adapter the BROWN and BLUE core can go directly to Connection 9 and 10 respectively on connection board.

It's not obvious where your 220V cable goes to and back in again.:)
    connect power supplier, 220V cabel, BROWN core to "9 PHASE" BLUE core to "10 NEUTRAL" - RED LINE Power supplier has to be without 220V plug, has to have cabel or connector. Cut out the plug if needed. Dont buy wall adapter power supply!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭tech

Just wondering if i bought one of these would I be able to connect it up to my electric garage door

pics below

https://photos.app.goo.gl/WogxyUJHD8aRwwPu9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RFudcYGrkqKhDT8q6

• Advertisement

Sorry, there is lack of one pic. Just dissapeared.
    As you can see, supplying 220V cable has a plug. Cut this plug out and you will have 2 core cable, brown and blue. Connect them to 9 and 10. This cable goes to power suppler (black box).
    power-supplier.jpg

Advertisement