Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Netflix Recommendations 2.0 *READ FIRST POST*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭crustybla

Synode wrote: »
    It's great. Have you watched Breaking Bad? Wonder would Better Call Saul be as good if you'd never seen BB

I've seen BB. Great stuff, I'll give it a whirl so.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Synode wrote: »
    Wonder would Better Call Saul be as good if you'd never seen BB

I wouldn't think it is. There's so many characters that you're familiar with in Breaking Bad and a big part of Better Call Saul is seeing how they became who they are. You wouldn't have that interest if you were unfamiliar with them.

I think it would still work as a standalone, but you're missing the topping without having seen Breaking Bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

2003's hottest Irish film, The Boys From County Clare, now streaming: http://www.netflix.com/title/70030962

In seriousness I'm not familiar with this film, nice that Netflix licenses Irish films.

Totally addicted to Line of Duty at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

Line of Duty is excellent. It takes a few episodes to get going but the second and third series pay off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,711 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

oneilla wrote: »
    Line of Duty is excellent. It takes a few episodes to get going but the second and third series pay off.

Best British drama I've watched, I think the format of a different story in each season is an excellent idea.

Reminds me of the Wire in a way.

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Best British drama I've watched, I think the format of a different story in each season is an excellent idea.

Reminds me of the Wire in a way.

Wire is the first thing that came to mind but I didn't wanna be the first to say it :PAC:

The sub-plot of laddering in the first series is straight from The Wire's "duking the stats".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

darced wrote: »

2 & 3 are interconnected so I'd watch in sequence. Yup, a big leap - Keeley Hawes is the gamechanger. Season one is really only an introduction to the characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭cml387

I see "The Descent" is coming up

Not one for claustrophobics. I thought the actual potholing was scary enough in and of itself.

And will we have the British or American ending?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Yeah, I wasn't hugely impressed with the first season. The second season is a massive leap and the third season keeps up the quality. I'm greatly enjoying the fourth season too.

I agree with others, 2&3 are more intense and very intricate. I don't want to give away any spoilers but the cop who is investigated is suspected of far more than just fiddling with stats.

I'd nearly advise people to skip the first series and start with the second.

Seems there's confusion about why series 3 isn't on Netflix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

cml387 wrote: »
    I see "The Descent" is coming up

Not one for claustrophobics. I thought the actual potholing was scary enough in and of itself.

And will we have the British or American ending?

Loved that when I first saw it when released, didn't know there were two endings.

Watched The Seven Five based on the recommendation in the old thread, it's really worth a watch, it's got a similar vibe to Cocaine Cowboys.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

oneilla wrote: »
    I agree with others, 2&3 are more intense and very intricate. I don't want to give away any spoilers but the cop who is investigated is suspected of far more than just fiddling with stats.

I'd nearly advise people to skip the first series and start with the second.

Seems there's confusion about why series 3 isn't on Netflix
    Going by this website, two reasons why series 3 was pulled.

Last minute licensing issue was one. The second reason was that episode 2 was missing from the line up and they removed it all to fix this. Long time looking for 1 episode if it's true.
    https://news.newonnetflix.info/news/what-happened-to-line-of-duty-season-3-on-uk-netflix/

Marje wrote: »
    Going by this website, two reasons why series 3 was pulled.

Last minute licensing issue was one. The second reason was that episode 2 was missing from the line up and they removed it all to fix this. Long time looking for 1 episode if it's true.
    https://news.newonnetflix.info/news/what-happened-to-line-of-duty-season-3-on-uk-netflix/

BBC recently re-ran S3 before the debut of S4 so maybe that had something to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,992 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

ixoy wrote: »
    Yeah, I wasn't hugely impressed with the first season. The second season is a massive leap and the third season keeps up the quality. I'm greatly enjoying the fourth season too.

Season one is the personification of meh, but Keeley Hawes elevates the show hugely when she arrives in season 2. I'd give season 2 a go at least.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Blue Jay

Basically two former high school sweethearts bump in to each other randomly one day and it's a bit awkward at first but then they go for coffee and start to reminisce and reflect on the good times they shared and the not so good times.

A large part of this film is just a joy to watch. It feels almost like a play at times, with just 2 characters on screen for 99% of the time, and they're in the one space for a large part of that too. Sarah Paulson and Mark Duplass have such good chemistry, the whole dinner scene has me in stitches. One teeny tiny issue I'd have with it is the end "conflict". It's not really a spoiler to say they eventually come around to why they split up all those years ago and the reason given is kind of a predictable one but at the same time I suppose it's a realistic one. It's not enough of a gripe to take anything away from everything that comes before it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

I finished the newest Trailer Park Boys season. A bit of a return to more grounded antics of the original seasons.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Danny Collins

This was surprisingly enjoyable. It starts with a note on screen saying it's very loosely based on a true story, kind of. That true story is of an English musician who discovered 30 something years after the fact that John Lennon had written him a letter after reading an interview he did in some random magazine. So in the film Al Pacino plays an aged singer who once was compared to Lennon but ended up singing other people's songs and playing sold out shows to pensioners, and he hates himself. On his birthday his manager gives him a letter that Lennon wrote to him in the early 70's but never sent. This makes him question his entire life and he sets out to find his adult son who he's never met.

Now, I know it all sounds like a bog standard dramedy but it's actually quite charming and funny. Al Pacino and Anette Bening bounce of each other so well and Bobby Cannavale and Jennifer Garner are great as Pacino's estranged son and his wife. It's not going to change your life but there are worse ways to spend your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,272 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Season 2 of Dominion Creek aka TG4's An Klondike added today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,291 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Massive 103 titles added today including...

Anvil: The Story of Anvil
    Be Kind Rewind
    Crash
    Eastern Promises
    Enemy at the Gates
    Michael Clayton
    Philomena
    Slumdog Millionaire
    The Descent
    The Secrets of Emily Blair
    The Virgin Suicides
    Volcano

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Let Us Prey, horror set in a quiet OchAyeTheNooBallygobackwards toon in Scotland. Liam Cunningham is great in it.
    Decent enough horror, the dialogue is a bit clich?d, especially in the opening 20 minutes, but it has a stunning first 5 minutes or so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

oneilla wrote:

Where did you watch series 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

We are watching Last Tango in Halifax on Netflix at the moment. Loving it. It's about two pensioners who are reunited and fall in love and their extremely messed up families . Well worth a watch if you haven't already seen it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Line of Duty is one of the best cop dramas I've seen. Fantastic stuff and definitely steps up after season 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Line of Duty is one of the best cop dramas I've seen. Fantastic stuff and definitely steps up after season 1.

Just watched the first season there, based on recommendations here, and I really enjoyed it so I can't wait to get stuck into seasons 2 & 3 now!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,711 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

MadDog76 wrote: »
    Just watched the first season there, based on recommendations here, and I really enjoyed it so I can't wait to get stuck into seasons 2 & 3 now!

You'll have to find the third elsewhere, it's not on Netflix unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Charlie19 wrote: »
    You'll have to find the third elsewhere, it's not on Netflix unfortunately.

Have it downloaded and ready to go already! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Season 2 of Dominion Creek aka TG4's An Klondike added today.

Excellent series and one of the best things to come out of Irish TV in the last few years.

Well worth checking out for anyone who didn't catch it on TG4.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

Fans of slashers could do worse than 'the town that dredded sundown'.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement