Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ireland to play Test Cricket in 2018?

Options
  • 21-02-2017 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭

RTE reporting that Ireland are set to play their first men's Test match some time in 2018, after hopefully earning Test status this year, possibly April.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/cricket/2017/0221/854386-ireland-look-set-for-test/

I've been looking for news of this on the Cricket Ireland website but haven't seen any, but I reckon it's worth a thread.

Big news if accurate, surely a lot will have to happen before then!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,979 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I wonder will this be the end of players going off to play for England, what are the rules around representing two countries at test level? Once someone has played a test for Ireland how easy would it be for England to poach them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

I really hope this happens soon. I've been getting more and more into cricket over the years but the shorter forms don't interest me as much. Test cricket is from another time and place and it's all the better for it. It's the perfect riposte to the modern sports enthusiast's diminishing attention span.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Conchir

Pickpocket wrote: »
    I really hope this happens soon. I've been getting more and more into cricket over the years but the shorter forms don't interest me as much. Test cricket is from another time and place and it's all the better for it. It's the perfect riposte to the modern sports enthusiast's diminishing attention span.

I have to say, the thought of sitting in the sun in Malahide or Clontarf watching Ireland play a test match puts a massive smile on my face. If we do get test status in April then that gets a little bit closer to reality.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I saw a report on Cricinfo about it a few weeks ago (cant find it anymore though) where it discussed some proposed changes to test cricket, with a new two tier league system, so Ireland, Afghanistan and Zimbabwe would be bottom tier and mostly play each other but there would be an obligation on the rest of the teams to play at least one game within the time frame of the league (every few years)

I saw a report on Cricinfo about it a few weeks ago (cant find it anymore though) where it discussed some proposed changes to test cricket, with a new two tier league system, so Ireland, Afghanistan and Zimbabwe would be bottom tier and mostly play each other but there would be an obligation on the rest of the teams to play at least one game within the time frame of the league (every few years)

Interesting. Playing regular, (hopefully) competitive tests against Afghanistan and Zimbabwe would probably be more beneficial in the long run than continually getting whacked by the bigger sides, yet there's still the odd test against those others.

Any obvious cons to that proposal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Could June 22nd become the biggest date in Irish cricket history? Sadly, the comment that Test status might have arrived a year too late may well be true.

http://www.the42.ie/irish-cricket-test-status-sponsorship-3361384-Apr2017/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Washout

Could June 22nd become the biggest date in Irish cricket history? Sadly, the comment that Test status might have arrived a year too late may well be true.

http://www.the42.ie/irish-cricket-test-status-sponsorship-3361384-Apr2017/

It just did....I'm over the moon about his...super news.

Ireland will be playing Pakistan in their first Test match in either April or May. No venue yet but hopefully it'll be Malahide. Very exciting!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Conchir wrote: »
    Ireland will be playing Pakistan in their first Test match in either April or May. No venue yet but hopefully it'll be Malahide. Very exciting!

Where are you seeing this?

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Where are you seeing this?

https://www.rte.ie/sport/cricket/2017/1011/911552-ireland-set-to-make-test-debut-next-spring/

I've been looking for something from the ICC about it, but haven't seen any so far. Hopefully RTE have it right.

• Advertisement

There's a bit more info in this article, but it all seems very mysterious and up in the air so far.

http://www.cricket.com.au/news/ireland-set-for-historic-first-test-match-pakistan-dublin-april-may-cold-icc-four-day-test/2017-10-11

On Cricinfo now, to be played next May. Venue tbc.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

I think we can safely predict a draw in this one. Rained off for at least 3 of the days

• Registered Users Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

KevIRL wrote: »
    I think we can safely predict a draw in this one. Rained off for at least 3 of the days

How can you be so negative?

Agree completely. :)

Actually, they're bit short sighted going on about four day test, have 5 days, at least there's the possibility of a result.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

KevIRL wrote: »

I very much hope you're wrong about the rain, but obviously I'm worried you'll be right. If we're lucky it will be as late into May as possible.

Does it rain anymore in Dublin than it does in some of the English test venue cities?

A quick look on Wikipedia (because I really have nothing better to be doing) says May in Dublin is actually drier than May in Manchester, Leeds, Cardiff and Birmingham. Slightly wetter than London, Newcastle, Southampton and Nottingham.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭bill66

Does it rain anymore in Dublin than it does in some of the English test venue cities?

2015 annual rainfall

London 592mm
    Birmingham 681mm
    Manchester 829mm

Dublin 878mm

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Manchester has a reputation for rain but having lived for nearly 30 years there and over 10 here, I think the weather in Dublin is typically worse and the quality of wicket required for test cricket is probably quite a bit higher than we are used to in Ireland

Test grounds in England and Wales have invested quite a lot over the past decade or two, and typically have much improved drainage systems meaning they can resume quicker after a rain break. I suspect there is simply not going to be the money to match those standards and we probably will find more and longer interruptions.

RTE reporting that Malahide will host the test from the 11th to the 15th May.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Bought tickets this morning for the first 3 days.

Now to negotiate time away from home - good behaviour essential! :D

• Advertisement

Ticketmaster says they're unavailable due to technical issues with Cricket Ireland. I wonder if that's true, or if it's that they've sold out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Ticketmaster says they're unavailable due to technical issues with Cricket Ireland. I wonder if that's true, or if it's that they've sold out.

There was a post on Facebook saying tech difficulties, and they'd be back up soon. They also said tickets that had already been bought were unaffected.

I'd be flabbergasted if any day other than Day 1 comes even close to selling out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Fair play to Pakistan, they always seem open to playing us

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Ticket purchased. Pimms and sunscreen ordered.

Yep, problems with ticketmaster were momentary. Tickets purchased! Can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

It felt quite exciting buying tickets for an Ireland Test Match.

I never really thought it would happen, now it's very real!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Trying not to get too excited yet cause its so far away but this is really going to be one of those "I was there" moments for me. Cannot wait

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

I thought of this earlier today when I found this from the last match I was at. I hope that, as it's an historic match, the tickets aren't just standard ticketmaster-style things. Something with a bit of style and unique artwork would be really nice to have afterwards. Obviously this is a pretty small thing in the wider context of the match, but I just think it's a good opportunity to go with something interesting.

asvTUY9l.jpg

Having said all that, I'll be happy when my tickets arrive regardless of what they look like. I'll be going to see Ireland play test cricket for feck sake :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Aye I'll defo have to take the family to watch Day 1 or 2 of this in May, hope the weather decides to favour cricket.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

Picked up two Day 2 Tickets, woohoo.

Advertisement