Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Podcast App - Android

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

Anyone else rightly fucked off with the Pocket Casts update?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

What don't you like about it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

I like it actually, so far so good! What's causing you the issue?

Can't select multiple shows, can't mark as played, no playlists, changed playback effects on some shows. There's always some getting used to an updated layout, but this seems like such a massive series of changes it feels like an entirely different app.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

New to listening to podcasts so this thread really interested me. After reading the above comments the most popular in order are :
    1. Pocketcasts (might change with new interface)- 10
    2. Podcast Addict - 9
    3. Podcast Republic - 8
    Rest range from 1-3 votes

Off to download top 3 and see which I prefer. Any recommendations for sports podcasts (GAA, Golf, Rugby) apart from OTB on NT?

• Advertisement

I appear to be in the minority in my dislike of Pocket Casts, so don't let that cloud your judgement.

GAA hour with Colm Parkinson is good, though Wooly himself is a bit of a dose and some of the interviews are done over phone lines so poor you wouldn't ring your ma in the rain for a lift on one.

Can't select multiple shows, can't mark as played, no playlists, changed playback effects on some shows. There's always some getting used to an updated layout, but this seems like such a massive series of changes it feels like an entirely different app.

It is very different I agree.

I still have mark as played, so if you look at the options on an episode you may see that.

I've never used playlists, apart from up next, so wasn't even aware of them. Nor playback effects.

I like that I can listen to a podcast, without subscribing, always found that annoying, and I prefer the layout/UI.

I also like the episode search, within a podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

I appear to be in the minority in my dislike of Pocket Casts, so don't let that cloud your judgement.

Google cast shows up whenever it feels like now since the update. Using Spotify for my podcasts now

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

It's very convoluted to see show notes now compared to before, that's the one thing that really annoys me about the pocket casts update.
    Previously you just swiped to see it, that was nice and they could easily have kept that with the new update.

moleyv wrote: »
    Google cast shows up whenever it feels like now since the update. Using Spotify for my podcasts now

I've been thinking I should move to Spotify too, as use it for music, must check it out.

• Advertisement

jester77 wrote: »
    It's very convoluted to see show notes now compared to before, that's the one thing that really annoys me about the pocket casts update.
    Previously you just swiped to see it, that was nice and they could easily have kept that with the new update.

Think it's better now? Like it loads per episode click, so it's a scroll down. And if on current episode it's just a click instead of a swipe?

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    Think it's better now? Like it loads per episode click, so it's a scroll down. And if on current episode it's just a click instead of a swipe?

If you are playing the episode you have to click the 3 dots menu, and then click on notes. Previously you just swiped, which was much easier. They could have left it the way it was as the new layout doesn't add anything that warranted moving this feature.

jester77 wrote: »
    If you are playing the episode you have to click the 3 dots menu, and then click on notes. Previously you just swiped, which was much easier. They could have left it the way it was as the new layout doesn't add anything that warranted moving this feature.

You can just click the bottom left three lines. Show notes are there.

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    You can just click the bottom left three lines. Show notes are there.

Nice :D Missed that

New to listening to podcasts so this thread really interested me. After reading the above comments the most popular in order are :
    1. Pocketcasts (might change with new interface)- 10
    2. Podcast Addict - 9
    3. Podcast Republic - 8
    Rest range from 1-3 votes

Off to download top 3 and see which I prefer. Any recommendations for sports podcasts (GAA, Golf, Rugby) apart from OTB on NT?

Rugby Pod with Andy Goode & Big Jim Hamilton I find good and entertaining. Much better than the player love-in Irish ones or similar crap one from the BBC with Ugo "I must mention every 3 minutes that I played a lions game but not that I was crap and dropped for last test" Moyne.

https://player.fm/series/series-1441451

as for player I find podcast addict decent enough. (used to use player fm but they try to get you to move to a pro version by putting basic tasks in the pro version)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

GAA Hour for GAA, and I like Balls.ie Three Man Weave one too.

I'm still using pocketcasts for now too. There's a few things are a pain, like if I search for a podcast to hear one episode they all appear in my audio filter, but I still haven't found one I like better. The swipe options for archive or play next are finnicky too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Is this pocket casts redesign as big a change as the last one that people hated.

I only migrated to the app 2/3 months ago but I've been super impressed. Not overly happy with these changes but it may just be a lack of familiarity.

The swiping to mark episodes as played seemingly needs a more vigorous gesture is the thing that's annoying me the most right now.

Edit : just read the post above that agrees with me. It's such a minor annoyance but quite big at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Gwildor

I've been using Pocket Casts for a good while now and I'm really not digging the update. I'd move to Spotify only I can't find half of my favourite podcasts on it.

Spotify would be a great option. I love the UI and would love to be able to queue up music and podcasts together but, like yourself, it's hard to find podcasts on it. They mustn't pulp directly from iTunes like a lot of the others.

The Google podcast app wouldn't be a bad choice either if they'd only add a few more features.

• Advertisement

Gwildor wrote: »
    The Google podcast app wouldn't be a bad choice either if they'd only add a few more features.

I like the look of it and I use mostly Google apps but I couldn't add a podcast on it that I only had a URL for (like one from Patreon or something). I think Spotify may have been similar, whereas on the likes of Pocket Casts you just stick the URL in the search bar on the app.

I'm the same, pretty well integrated into the Google apps. I may give it a go for a week and see if I can get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

No auto download management means Googles app is never going to work for me. They really see podcast streaming as being the norm but I do most of my listening in the tube where I need downloaded episodes.

So, I didn't even last a full day with the Google Podcast app. Back to using Pocket Casts with my tail between my legs. Hopefully there'll be another update soon to sort out some of the bugs.

I really need one now. Pocketcasts has started just stopping playback after a minute or so and you have to manually play again.

I get a few download issues. Also doesn't restart playing after a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Try out podcast republic. Might be weird going to a new player when you're so used to one, but I find it great. I use it for audio books too, when I download free ones in mp3 format

Another update for Pocket Casts this morning. Fingers crossed.

Pocket Casts was dropping in and out a lot for me yesterday. Thought it might be my Bluetooth but Spotify is working fine. Also a lot of lag between tapping/swiping and anything actually happening.

• Advertisement

Another update for Pocket Casts this morning. Fingers crossed.

Was that for Android or iOS? I can't see an update for me on Android.

Advertisement