Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The DP World Tour Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Hoey has 4 top 10s in the last 2 years and he converted each of them into a win

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Feel for Langer right now, who would have thought a double on the last.
    His first bunker shot on the 18th looked like a nervous 18 handicapper on a good round in a monthly medal

Hope he wins the playoff.

Most dramatic seniors event i've ever seen, not that i've seen too many!

It looks pitch dark out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Feel for Langer right now, who would have thought a double on the last.
    His first bunker shot on the 18th looked like a nervous 18 handicapper on a good round in a monthly medal

Hope he wins the playoff.

Both parred the 18 and they are going to play another hole. Madness!!!!!!

Both parred the 18 and they are going to play another hole. Madness!!!!!!

Its great stuff! After Wiebe took his tee shot he turned around to Langer on the tee and said I cant see anything, where did that go!!

Both tee shots straight down the middle.

I reckon both lads have flights booked early doors tomorrow and need to get this sorted now.

• Advertisement

They should have played a par 3.

They should have played a par 3.

agreed.

Both players deserve credit in trying to complete to a finish. Back in the morning. Would hate to have seen a loser in the dark.

At the same time pity there was no winner, still really enjoyed watching that. I feel there is something extra special about watching links golf rather than normal european/US tour events.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Bizarre finish, but you would hate to see either of them losing in the darkness. Back on at 8 in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Langer actually had to share a tournament with Monty once cos they couldn't get the play off finished, thought same was gonna happen!

RikkFlair wrote: »
    Langer actually had to share a tournament with Monty once cos they couldn't get the play off finished, thought same was gonna happen!

And Wiebe wins after the third time playing the 18th this morning. It was neck and neck, but finally Wiebe gets a par and Langer a bogey.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

I've just realised there's been no European Tour event in Europe since July 25.

And that was the rubbishy Russian Open which most avoided.

And before that it was the Open which plenty didn't qualify for.

So that's 6 weeks without a regular Tour event, all at the height of the European summer.

Madness.

I've just realised there's been no European Tour event in Europe since July 25.

And that was the rubbishy Russian Open which most avoided.

And before that it was the Open which plenty didn't qualify for.

So that's 6 weeks without a regular Tour event, all at the height of the European summer.

Madness.

No event this week or last week, no wonder there are rumours of a PGA tour buyout.

This is really concerning lads. The European Tour is simply gone to the dogs and I get more worried when I see long term events (which is good commitment) like this being announced.

http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/news/newsid=202366.html

A crappy €1,000,000 prize fund on a par with the Russian open in the prime European weather season in August for the next 5 years. Some will say all the top players will be playing in the Barclays FedEx race then but the prize fund is so small it will hardly appeal to players, like Harrington for example, to play in an event like this. With events like this planned it almost forces players onto the US Tour as the European tour doesn't even offer any real competition in the prize money stakes.

I'm not even sure would I call the Russian open a proper European tour event, well I know it is but forgetting about that it's 5 weeks without a proper tour event in Europe (The Open). I know Europe's economy is in a bad way but surely there is still a lucrative golf market out there that could be tapped into further.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭abff

The fact that €1,000,000 can be described as a crappy prize fund just shows how ridiculously high the prize money is in the US. It's better to have a tournament in Europe with that kind of prize money than to have a gap in the schedule. I just hope that Johnnie Walker will still be sponsoring a tournament next year - maybe a week earlier?

abff wrote: »
    The fact that €1,000,000 can be described as a crappy prize fund just shows how ridiculously high the prize money is in the US. It's better to have a tournament in Europe with that kind of prize money than to have a gap in the schedule. I just hope that Johnnie Walker will still be sponsoring a tournament next year - maybe a week earlier?

I know what you mean but the sorry fact is a £1,000,000 tour event is pathetic for the likes of Westwood, Donald, Poulter and co. While of course it's welcomed that another event is on the Europen Tour rota but the pool of players playing in it wouldn't exactly entice major crowds. Hope I'm wrong though.

Next year the Johnnie Walker has been cancelled due to the Ryder Cup.

http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/season=2013/tournamentid=2013066/news/newsid=182230.html

One less meaningful event for next year

• Registered Users Posts: 8,499 ✭✭✭Speak Now

I know what you mean but the sorry fact is a £1,000,000 tour event is pathetic for the likes of Westwood, Donald, Poulter and co. While of course it's welcomed that another event is on the Europen Tour rota but the pool of players playing in it wouldn't exactly entice major crowds. Hope I'm wrong though.

Next year the Johnnie Walker has been cancelled due to the Ryder Cup.

http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/season=2013/tournamentid=2013066/news/newsid=182230.html

One less meaningful event for next year

Johnnie Walker void is filled for next 5 years. Another 1 million event, this time in Prague. Beats having the calendar blank anyway.

Johnnie Walker void is filled for next 5 years. Another 1 million event, this time in Prague. Beats having the calendar blank anyway.

Yes I agree but you are missing my point.

Yes I agree but you are missing my point.

No, I think we get your point. Compared to the PGA Tour, the European Tour is in a lot of trouble financially and cannot compete (or even come close) in money terms.

But it's better that the European Tour is realistic enough to accept this and work within the new reality than have them bury their heads in the sand and hold out for the type of prize money that they were able to achieve five years ago.

We've all had to tighten our belts a bit and it looks as if professional golfers (or any any rate, those playing on the European Tour) are going to have to share the pain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,327 ✭✭✭Trampas

Anyone know the reason behind Sam and Jose been selected as Seve trophy captains?

I thought the idea behind it was preparing players and captains for Ryder Cup.

Therefore I think it is a strange captain decision.

Good 67 by McGinley today. Pity about the bogey 6 to finish, but nice to see him bounce back after yesterday's 77.

abff wrote: »
    Good 67 by McGinley today. Pity about the bogey 6 to finish, but nice to see him bounce back after yesterday's 77.

Good week for Damian McGrane too - finished joint sixth. He is currently 111 in the race to Dubai, so this'll help.

vienne86 wrote: »
    Good week for Damian McGrane too - finished joint sixth. He is currently 111 in the race to Dubai, so this'll help.

He won €68,000 for this week and moved up to 89th in the race to Dubai. Card absolutely safe for next year, must be a happy day in the McGrane household. Great Irish pro.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Fantastic looking course Crans sur Sierre. Wonder what its like in winter though!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Craig lee after birdieing (birdying?) 9 of the first 10 holes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

bogeys the 12th

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Craig lee after birdieing (birdying?) 9 of the first 10 holes.

some round of golf!

Good start from McGrane today, hopefully the rest of the irish can do just as well.

• Advertisement

Kevin Phelan not doing too bad either! First event as a pro isn't it?

Advertisement