Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Today I did something to my bike thread...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,713 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

lo and behold - went over some sort of builders debris on the way home from work yesterday in Shankill (I think it was a piece of metal but couldn't find it afterwards), blew out my back tyre and cracked my newly installed mudguard 😕

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

thanks :) ! Have kept the drive chain as clean as i could ! Have done a lot of hills on this one and around 4200 km in last one year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,713 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

washed my bike and, on the recommendation of someone on here, degreased the drivetrain with Elbow Grease. The stuff really works, chain and cassette look almost new again! And it's cheap!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's strong stuff - i've used it to clean the filter on the extractor hood in the kitchen and it ate through the grease in a way no other cleaner i've tried managed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭cletus

I wanted to change the lube I'm using on my chain.

I couldn't countenance putting the new lube on a dirty chain, though. So it had to come off.

But then the cassette was dirty. And the rear derailleur. And the front derailleur. And the chainset. So they all had to come off too.

So that's about an hour and a half of **** around, so I can oil my chain 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Took a small tumble off the bike a few weeks ago, at stationary speeds when I forgot to unclip/tried to track stand, and did a quick once over the bike and figured ah everything’s grand.

Creak developed, figured ah it’s probably the pressfit bb, eventually got around to taking a proper look at it after isolating it to the saddle area, popped out the seatpost and low and behold found the issue.

Frame seems fine, no cracks visible in the carbon etc around the seatpost wedge, so am assuming it’s just a possibility of overtorquing combined with a bit of a shunt. Just happy it didn’t end in catastrophic failure and a sharp end of a snapped seatpost up the hole

Post edited by Squidgy Black on

Considering my youngest fella referred to ma as a middle-aged man today, this seems like an appropriate addition to the bike

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭gn3dr

So I weighed this last week - 15.7kg for the frame without the forks in! Bit hefty alright but it was his first cargo build so a bit exploratory. It's painted now and almost all together. Will post a picture when it is complete.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

A quick Google suggests that's not that heavy? e.g.

https://hagenbikes.com/products/nighthawk-cargo-bike-frameset

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Yeah I would’ve thought that’d be fairly light for a cargo bike, a bakfiets is about 40kg, and a babboe is like 60

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭what_traffic

That is on the light side. Please do post a pic

I'd say the finished product will be similar in weight to this https://argobikes.com/

if your friend is looking for an off the shelf box or a rain canopy the following might be useful

https://argobikes.com/products/argo-dashbox

Will post a picture when finished. He ran out of time before heading back to Thailand where he lives for 6 mths of the year so I will be finishing it over the next while. Remember that 15.7 kg was for the bare frame only, there's a lot of weight to be added with battery, motor etc.

My friend's cargo bike is almost finished. Just some wiring to tidy up, sort out the stand and maybe mudguards. Couldn't resist taking it up the road today for a spin. Bit weird on the steering with the small wheel and long wheelbase so I adjusted the ratio on that to slow down the steering. First time I rode an electric bike though. It can fairly shift. 🤪.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭JMcL

That looks great. What weight did you end up with after battery, motor and all the gubbins got added?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭what_traffic

That bike looks fantastic. I tip my hat to them. A lot of hard work put into that!

Not sure yet. Need to see if my bathroom scales goes up that high with me lifting it. I guess I could stand it up on the scales on the back wheel....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Getting ready for winter : mudguards on and tweaked (in spite of near disaster with partly stripped threads on the front fork bolt hole), seatpost greased, chain waxed (still undecided on this for the winter bike), new rear tire, front tire sealant topped up.

Will be my main bike for the next 5 to 6 months

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Found the bottom bracket on my Pinnacle Arkose just basically implode last week. Had a sketchy cycle home with some very wobbly cranks.

Finally got around to checking it out today. Non drive side cup looked like it had become concave, and the bearings on one of the sides, not sure which were spilling out. plus one part got stuck on the spindle. Have a lightly used spare knocking about thankfully (megaexo 4000 bbs are a bit of a rip off) and swapped them out and all is good again.

Before

After

Sensah Phi shifters from AliExpress France for €88. Wanted to get rid of gear cables out the side of the 10 speed Ultegra shifters but couldn't justify removing the perfectly functioning Dura Ace 7700 stuff.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Probably a trick of the camera angle but those handlebars look really wide for the size of the bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Photo was taken in a very narrow corridor and the bike is not parallel to the wall. They are 40cm, although I'm thinking of going down to 38cm

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sbs2010

Took the bike out for first spin in 3months after a bit of a rebuild.

Sealed square taper bb gave up at end of August so I moved to ultra torque. There was a lot of faff getting that installed. Then I reckoned I needed a new chain, so then needed new cassette.

I took the opportunity to clean everything and put on new cables.

Then I couldn't get the brakes working right - they kept sticking, so got a new set of calipers.

And to finish it off, new bar tape :)

Ah, they look way wider for some reason, I am on 38(outside to outside) and love them but each to their own, everyone comments they look skinny at races.

Nah they're just 42's and the bike is 55cm top tube

Edit - ignore, I thought you were replying to my post

These handlebars are really close, those handlebars are humongous.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭devonp

started off with some small adjustments to the rim brake calipers (2/3 worn pads)....

ended up putting on a new Conti 5000 25c tyre on the back (contact surface completely flat and TWI's not visible anymore)

and then a new DT swiss P1800 wheel on the front ( blow out when pumping tyre , found rim tape in a sorry state and holes at spoke points ) the wheel braking surface also badly grooved/worn , new wheel is the match of the rear I put on begining of June last summer (who doesn't have new spare wheels lying around? 😁)

Post edited by devonp on

My son bought one of the Muc Off cleaning packs on sale in Halfords. The week before last he decided to try it out by spraying the cleaning fluid/soap/whatever it is all over everything, including pads and disks.

I'm currently working myself up to going out to the shed to try get rid of the permanent squeal his brakes have acquired.

Also on the list is the replacement of grip on both of my boys' bikes

Today I figure out where the slow leak in my front tyre was coming from

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭traco

New shift and brake cables fitted and all dialed in on the local run around beater. Old ones were the originals and nasty. Feels all buttery now, just like new. New cables and housing must be one of the cheapest and most rewarding jobs on bike. Only downside was it was poxy cold outside.

• Advertisement

Good stuff.

You need to get yourself a work shed

Advertisement