Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cheapest place to buy contact lenses?

• 24-04-2009 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

For some years now I have got my prescription checked in Ireland and bought my contacts through the internet from AC Lens in America and have found them solid and reliable. 90 pairs of lenses has come in at €95 by the time I receive the box.

Is there any place cheaper in Ireland yet?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Yourlenses.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Squiggle

Not in Ireland but daysoftlenses are worth checking out too imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Squiggle wrote: »

Has anyone tried these?! They are quite tempting at that price!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,616 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Hopefully we can get this thread stickied!

I have a particular requirement for Acuvue Trueye lenses and this is the outcome of my research of online providers - not all supply this lense type.

http://www.contactlenses.co.uk 90 day pair at €161.41 (£138 + £5 shipping)

http://www.contactlensesexpress.co.uk 90 day pair @ €145.61 (£129 - no info on shipping)

http://www.eyesite.ie 90 day pair @ €180

Notes: of course, prices are subject to change on the particular websites and currency exchange rates as of this date (converted where possible). I have not ordered from any of these websites nor had any other experience - use vigilance as when buying from any online website.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

www.accuity.co.uk

I just ordered 30 pairs of 1 day acuvue moist for £32.50 (just about 35 euro ) and free postage

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭LittleEve

Thanking u for that link...ordered just one months supply to test them, 16 euro for 30 pairs and arrived less than a wk after ordering...you just put in your normal brand of contacts, in my case, Focus dailies and they'll send their version. neat small package too. :cool:
    timmywex wrote: »
    Has anyone tried these?! They are quite tempting at that price!!
    one satisfied customer here :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

got my daysoft lenses following reading this thread and couldnt be happier, stopped using accuve moist because they were costing a fortune and then got specsavers own brand for nearly half the price but they were so bad i stopped wearing them. €16 for 32days supply with daysoft!!!!! brilliant. they feel the same as the accuve ones. they arrived in 5 days, no deliverey charge. another thing worth noting is you dont need to send them a copy of your prescription. It crazy how much the opticions here rip you off!

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭jimmay

astrofluff wrote: »
    Hopefully we can get this thread stickied!

I have a particular requirement for Acuvue Trueye lenses and this is the outcome of my research of online providers - not all supply this lense type.

http://www.contactlenses.co.uk 90 day pair at €161.41 (£138 + £5 shipping)

http://www.contactlensesexpress.co.uk 90 day pair @ €145.61 (£129 - no info on shipping)

http://www.eyesite.ie 90 day pair @ €180

Notes: of course, prices are subject to change on the particular websites and currency exchange rates as of this date (converted where possible). I have not ordered from any of these websites nor had any other experience - use vigilance as when buying from any online website.

I've been getting these lenses now since they came out and I've just ordered my third 3 month supply batch.

£108.22 about €120 incl delivery. Accuity is one website but I order from the contact lens shop.co.uk and they price match.

Sis is going to Thailand next week. I believe they are even cheaper over there, might ask her to check it out and send me a batch home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

http://www.lenscatalogue.co.uk

Been using these guys for the last year, heres my last order, shipping takes about a week

Products:
    Focus Dailies (Box of 90) €41.00 EUR * 1 = €41.00 EUR
    Adjustment: LEN3LB Coupon Code: €-3.40 EUR
    Total: €78.60 EUR
    Shipping: €0.00 EUR
    Sales Tax: €0.00 EUR

Prescription Information:

Focus Dailies SPH: -3.75, BC: 8.60, DIA: 13.8
    Focus Dailies SPH: -4.00, BC: 8.60, DIA: 13.8

Just to add they do pretty decent prescription swimming goggles as well a little over €20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭JOHNPT

When u say a box of 90 lens is that 90 pairs of lens i.e 3 months supply or just 90 lens 45 pairs. Its good value if its 3 months supply at that price

• Advertisement

Its 90 pairs....

A box of 90 for the left eye and a box of 90 for the right eye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭JOHNPT

Is that 41 euro per eye? as u wrote it twice

Sorry for confusion. How much is 3 months supply?

I was just copying the lines from the order comfirmination I received above

Total cost for 3 months supply is

Grand Total: €78.60 EUR

So for that I got 180 lenes i.e 2 boxes of 90

Lenses are never generally never quoted in pairs, 90 lens is 90 lens not 90 pairs

Hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Coonster

Wow those prices are fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭smcgui

I thought I was doing well buying them on the VHI healthshop online but it appears not!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Coonster

I just ordered from www.visiondirect.com earlier today for €65 for a 3 month focus dailies supply.

Used promo code 15NEW

Wish i had read this thread first :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Coonster wrote: »
    Wow those prices are fantastic

Yeh, ordered a set myself there tuesday night, got an email wednesday morning telling me they were dispatched, will update when i get them and see what theyre like!

€23.96 for 64 pairs including postage!? Sure there worth the try at that price if nothing else!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭gipi

I saw this site advertised on pigsback.com the other day, if you're a member there's a clickthrough for piggypoints. They seem to offer a large range of contact lenses.

www.lenson.com

(no connection to pigsback or lenson)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

got my daysoft lenses on monday worn the for 4 days from not wearing lenses regularly for years, staring at computers all day wore them for about 14 hours. i'd say as good as my focus dailies so for the price seem great after a week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭jape

I am using daysoftlenses at the mo they are fantastic quality and price, I've nothing but good to say about them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

I use getlenses.ie - pay less than half of what it would cost to get the same lenses (B&L Soflens 66 Torics) in the opticians.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Eeep

+1 for getlenses.ie
    Seriously cheap and fast - you just need to know what your perscription is
    They also don't check with your optician

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭seaner

I got 90 PAIRS of contact lenses (focus dailes) from yourlenses.ie for .....56.90 EURO.

Well....what happened was, I got the first box of 90 in and then 3 days later I got another box of 90 in. I think they made a mistake...But I'm saying nutin!

Because I only wear contacts at the weekend or when I'm playing sports, I originally wanted to buy just one box. The way the site works at checkout is taht you buy separately for each eye (so as to allow you to have two different strengths) and because I only wanted 90 individual contact lenses (45 pairs) I only ordered for one of my eyes. Its ok though, because my left eye and right are really similar so I can get away with it...

This must have confused their system though...cuz like I said ... I received 90 Pairs! And they both arrived on different days.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭TheHulk

How do you know your prescription? Is your optician obliged to give it to you? Or is the information on my existing box of contact lenses?

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭seaner

well its on your existing box of contact lenses if you already have some... its the -4.5 etc. You can request that your optician give you a copy of your prescription though. I did and they didn't refuse. I think you're safe buying online if you know your exact prescription and are happy enough that your prescription hasn't changed. I normally go to my opticians once a year... and I'll give him the business for my glasses. Which in fairness normally work out a couple of hundred euro anyway. So i don't feel TOO bad for buying my lenses online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 n6ges

Can i sell mine on this site? Had laser eye surgery the other day, but have about €100.00 worth of daily disposables and monthly continuous wear lenses left over. Any ideas appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

Hi all,
    I got 90 pairs of lenses on www.lenscatcher.com for 107 which is about a third what I normally ( I need random expensive lenses). Ordered on Tuesday and they were here on Friday.

Just another alternative to check out.

What we really need is a sticky with a massive list of all the lens sites. Any chance mods?

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

TheHulk wrote: »
    Is your optician obliged to give it to you?
    Yes, under the freedom of information act, your optician is obliged to give it to you. If they say there will be a charge, it can't be over €6.50- as far as I remember (s.4 of the act is the important part)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 wina1

Hi All,

It was only recently when I got totally fed up of using Specsavers - sick of them getting my perscription mixed up and getting over charged that I moved to an independent opticians. They advised me that you are entitled to €40 (each year or every two years) off thru PRSI your contact lens. Specsavers don't tell ya that - so basically I got one month free!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Darando

I use and can recommend getlenses.com (getlenses.ie).....always very helpful on the phone if you have questions/queries, they operate out of Blackrock so Irish as well.:P

Free delivery also, so I get a years supply of solution when ordering, has to be delivered by an post special delivery :) - handy!!

Usually takes less than 1 week from order to door.

I usually get a yearly contact lens check up in a local optican (€60) but can claim some of that back on PRSI. They have no issue with doing just a standard check up (proper 30 minute one) even they know I buy lenses online.

I would say that even if you don't need an up-to-date prescription on some sites - just get it done yearly as not an area where you want something to go wrong with :)

Advertisement