Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Motorcycle FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Try Aon/AXA. Carole Nash tends to be quite expensive for new riders..
    I think Aon also provide discounts for approved training.

Here's a list of approved trainers: http://www.aon.com/ie/en/about/aon_ireland/pdf/instructorlisting.pdf

Oh, and this is what you really want:
    R1200GS-red.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Try Aon/AXA. Carole Nash tends to be quite expensive for new riders..
    I think Aon also provide discounts for approved training.

Here's a list of approved trainers: http://www.aon.com/ie/en/about/aon_ireland/pdf/instructorlisting.pdf

Oh, and this is what you really want:
    R1200GS-red.jpg
    Yes, that is exactly what I want. But given that I have never ridden a bike before I am going to start a little lower. Do AON/AXA give a discount for restrictors?

MrP

If the bike is factory restricted it will be in a different classification/grouping..
    None of the insurers give discounts for restrictors, however, the factory restricted bikes may be in a much lower grouping, hence the cheaper insurance.

If the bike's not factory-restricted, you'll pay the full price for the insurance, even with an after-market restrictor.

So for example: A 600cc bandit is group 9 or 10. The factory restricted bike (33bhp) is group 5.

That's the thing. I can order the bike restricted and it will come from the factory restricted. The problem is, it is not in the insurance company's "big book of factory restricted bikes" so they will not give the discount. Even without a discount for the restrictor Aon/Axa have quoted me 1600 fully comp the the 650GS. That seems OK to me considering. This presupposes I do the MSA courses and pass.

MrP

Would you not consider going for something else that is recognised in their big book, e.g. the bandit 600? Unfortunately it's down to a two horse race, so you really don't have much choice anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,867 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

MrPudding wrote:
    That's the thing. I can order the bike restricted and it will come from the factory restricted. The problem is, it is not in the insurance company's "big book of factory restricted bikes" so they will not give the discount.
    I suspect the real reason is that the engine management box is programmable and the restriction is done by reprogramming it. In theory at least, all you need to do to derestrict the bike is upload the right software to it. (A friend of mine who owns a Triumph can reprogram the FI with a laptop and a cable, they release updated programs every so often). If the restriction is removable then they won't give the discount. Most Japanese factory-restricted bikes need hundreds if not thousands of € worth of parts to derestrict them so it's not economic to do so. I've never heard of a programmable, factory-fitted ignition/FI box on a Jap bike.

Life ain't always empty.

ninja900 wrote:
    I suspect the real reason is that the engine management box is programmable and the restriction is done by reprogramming it. In theory at least, all you need to do to derestrict the bike is upload the right software to it. (A friend of mine who owns a Triumph can reprogram the FI with a laptop and a cable, they release updated programs every so often). If the restriction is removable then they won't give the discount. Most Japanese factory-restricted bikes need hundreds if not thousands of € worth of parts to derestrict them so it's not economic to do so. I've never heard of a programmable, factory-fitted ignition/FI box on a Jap bike.
    I think that is the crux of it. I think I will stick with the electronic restrictor and take the hit on the insurance. The AXA/AON quote wasn't too scary.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

There has been a change to the A licence driving test. The bike does not have to over 150cc any more: >125cc and capable of exceeding 100kmph is sufficient.
    See Driving Test website

• Registered Users Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭tk123

The bike still has to greater than 125cc thou...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

tk123 wrote:
    The bike still has to greater than 125cc thou...
    Indeed, which is agonisingly close to cheaper insurance for a want to be A learner like me! God damnit!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭djeclips

Had a read through thread and read nothing about this.Was on the hibernian website going to get a quote and it said they're not quoting for bikes after june 30th.existing policies will not be renewed come that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

djeclips wrote:
    Had a read through thread and read nothing about this.Was on the hibernian website going to get a quote and it said they're not quoting for bikes after june 30th.existing policies will not be renewed come that time.
    Correct. Though Aon will now quote directly if you give them a buzz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭cutepape

Passed my test today!!
    No flat tyre this time!!!

cutepape wrote:
    Passed my test today!!
    No flat tyre this time!!!
    Well done!!! I'm waiting to take mine again!! Basitd failed me last week for not going fast enough which is pants :mad: and had me out for 45 mins so instructor thinks he was going to fail me all along!! :(:(

tk123:

thanks.. and to bad for you.. know how you feel to have to do it again.
    If you done it in Sweden. They wouldnt have failed you for not going fast enough. Actually... in SWE if you drive 50km/h in a "neighbourhood" and there is cars parked on both sides.. you will fail!

Upside down world..

Yeah, don't feel bad about failing for progression-they have that all fcuked up. A situation exists now where people are encouraged to drive at 50-55km/h in a 50km/h zone to pass the test (that's what I did to pass my car test). This accepted speeding is patently ridiculous anyway you cut it. Better luck next time-I'm not looking forward to the bike test.

I was ok with it last week but looking back it's stupid what they fail people on!!! Cutepape fails for a flat tire yet part of the technical test is to push the bike in case of a breakdown!? I fail for not doing 50 down a residential street with speedbumps and parked cars on both sides!! :mad: I wanted a lovely bmw - damn u mr tester!!!! :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

a_ominous wrote:
    There has been a change to the A licence driving test. The bike does not have to over 150cc any more: >125cc and capable of exceeding 100kmph is sufficient.
    See Driving Test website
    it was greater than 125cc when i did the test last year,
    my bike was 124cc so i had to rent a bike out.

Chalk wrote:
    it was greater than 125cc when i did the test last year,
    my bike was 124cc so i had to rent a bike out.
    Indeed, it's another joke of the system. Up North and in the rest of the UK you do your full A test on a bike greater than 120cc but less than 125cc (ie-all 125s!). It's a much more sensible set up.

murphaph wrote:
    Up North and in the rest of the UK you do your full A test on a bike greater than 120cc but less than 125cc (ie-all 125s!). It's a much more sensible set up.
    The downside is that on a provisional over there you are limited to 125cc. This means the expense and hassle of buying or hiring a 125 just to practice for the test, then getting the bike you really want once you pass. Here you can buy what you like as long as it's restricted if necessary (and assuming you can afford to insure it...)

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement

Just got a quote from CN for a Africa Twin 750cc -94.

Third Part with theft €1800 per annum... that is completely insane. The bike costs €3500.

Did I say anything wrong or just choose the wrong company?

Anyone on the board that owns a OffRoad bike and got a descent insurance?

cutepape wrote:
    Just got a quote from CN for a Africa Twin 750cc -94.

Third Part with theft €1800 per annum... that is completely insane. The bike costs €3500.

Did I say anything wrong or just choose the wrong company?

Anyone on the board that owns a OffRoad bike and got a descent insurance?
    hmmm, I got a quote for a 93 motocross 250 (Honda dominator, NX 250) off them and they were €1,056. €400 cheaper than AON. CN are definitely cheaper on old bikes. I got horrendous quotes from them on '00 Viragos (€1850) but AON were only €1400 on same BUT CN were €1,056 on a hypothetical '88 Virago!! Go figure!!

This might be because I'm 26 and CN don't seem to like the younger biker (or younger bike!).

I got p!ssed off trying to figure out which bike (>125cc) was cheapest because I just want to get my A licence. Eventually the cheapest quote I got was €950 on a 82 Suzuki GSX 250 (a bike I bought in the end).

All quotes for TP only. My house insurance will cover what I paid for my bike if it's nicked!

EDIT: Would you not chance TP only? The theft part was excruciating when I asked for it. I can't imagine it'd be worth it unless the bike is worth a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Billabong

In the UK there is a system for doing a direct access test on a powerful motorbike which takes 2 or 3 days. Upon passing this test you are free of any restrictions i.e. the dreaded 2 year 25Kw restriction. Whilst I agree somewhat with a restriction to some degree, 2 years is just too long and is only going to encourage people to jump straight onto a superbike straight off there restriction out of pure frustration. I think a staggered restiction would be much better which actively encouraged a step onto a mid ranged 600 before making a jumb from a bros or similar onto a TL1000.
    Anyway I was wondering had managed to get round the restriction by doing a direct access test in th UK. I'm considering doing it my self for the obvious reasons not forgetting having a UK licence which the Gardai cant slap points on. It seems that to do it up in Newry Co. Down you would not have much change left out of a grand taking in the cost of the compulsory training, testing and accomodation etc.
    :D

Billabong wrote:
    In the UK there is a system for doing a direct access test on a powerful motorbike which takes 2 or 3 days. Upon passing this test you are free of any restrictions i.e. the dreaded 2 year 25Kw restriction. Whilst I agree somewhat with a restriction to some degree, 2 years is just too long and is only going to encourage people to jump straight onto a superbike straight off there restriction out of pure frustration. I think a staggered restiction would be much better which actively encouraged a step onto a mid ranged 600 before making a jumb from a bros or similar onto a TL1000.
    Anyway I was wondering had managed to get round the restriction by doing a direct access test in th UK. I'm considering doing it my self for the obvious reasons not forgetting having a UK licence which the Gardai cant slap points on. It seems that to do it up in Newry Co. Down you would not have much change left out of a grand taking in the cost of the compulsory training, testing and accomodation etc.
    :D
    Mate of mine did this in belfast. Some racket where they provide a UK address and the vehicle for the test for a small fee. Now, this was years ago, before the DAS scheme. He was 17 at the time and wanted to ride big bikes and it was impossible under the irish system but possible in NI. I'm guessing the same type of racket exists with the DAS tody. We should have direct access here ffs-it's in the last EU directive on licencing and we've yet to implement it. Loads of countries have it. It's called 'Direkt-einstieg' in Germany for example!

There is no direct access in Northern Ireland.

Life ain't always empty.

Info here:

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/drivers/rdmcycle.htm

Looks cools.

MrP

ninja900 wrote:
    There is no direct access in Northern Ireland.
    Somebody should tell Jeffrey Donaldson and Peter Robinson, wouldn't be long waiting for the inequality to be rectified (an all us southerners could take advantage of the system :D )

MrPudding wrote:
    That's the situaition in Britain. For NI see here: http://www.dvlni.gov.uk/drivers/ride_motorcycle.htm
    NI and GB licences are similar but issued under different legislation, this gives rise to some very strange anomalies like not being able to get points in Britain on an NI licence!
    murphaph wrote:
    Somebody should tell Jeffrey Donaldson and Peter Robinson
    Well I'm sure Ian Paisley Jr. already knows, he's a biker...!

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 vinnyirl

IMPORTANT NOTE:

We regret that as Hibernian General Insurance Ltd is withdrawing from the motorcycle insurance market, we will not be in a position to offer cover to new customers after 30 June 2005 and quotations are valid only up to close of business on that date. Any policies taken out before 30 June 2005 will not be offered renewal the following year. Thank you for your enquiry. If you would like more information please click here.

I got this notice from the Hibernian website so where should i go for insurance now?

• Advertisement

AON or CN..good luck..

Advertisement