Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was that about in strokestown?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

the facebook mobs are just looking for a reason to bash the government. They want loads of free services, yet are willing to defend a man that owes 400k in unpaid taxes.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Odelay

the facebook mobs are just looking for a reason to bash the government. They want loads of free services, yet are willing to defend a man that owes 400k in unpaid taxes.....

You got it in one. Expect everything to be paid for from the money tree at the back of the Dail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭kerryjack

I think its the fact that the banks are hireing english yobs or power junkies to take possession of the land thats getting the graw up on the people.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

kerryjack wrote: »
    I think its the fact that the banks are hireing english yobs or power junkies to take possession of the land thats getting the graw up on the people.

Agree with both of these

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Neddyusa wrote: »
    Thanks for that.
    Gives a totally different perspective to the story hearing those background details and hard to have as much sympathy for the farmer.
    I still don't agree with the methods used by the bank though. I'd like to hear why the family home couldn't have been treated separately to the land.

In the bigger picture I agree that you should always pay your debts. But unfortunately, the banks lost all moral authority on that when the ECB decided in 2008 that every tax payer and our children would have to pay the banks debts for them when they went bust.
    I'd be assuming that the farm and house would be on the one folio and difficult, under these circumstances anyway, to separate out for the sale of the land only.

It would be difficult to find a buyer to buy the land with the previous owner looking in over the ditch, I imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,940 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Top of the list.

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/farmers-feature-on-2015-revenue-tax-defaulters-list/

https://studylib.net/doc/8365241/defaulters-list-2011--june-2011----1st-quarter

Terrible situation all round.
    Three elderly/middle aged siblings living together on a farm and apparently letting things get way out of hand.
    Living in an isolated spot with their mother dying in 2015. I don't know about the other two but it seems the issue was with Anthony who never seemingly paid any tax in his life and the rest is recent history.
    The security firm have northern links and seemingly do jobs for the U.N. hiring out employees from Nepal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

That’s only the icing on the cake. They follow SF to the letter of the law. They believe that there’s 10 or maybe 20 multi billionaires in the country who should be shouldering the entire tax burden at a rate of 90c on the Euro.
    Then no one else needs to pay tax or vat.
    They don’t grasp the connection between tax and public services either. What we need to be alarmed about is that they’ve a horrible propensity to violence and also that there’s so many of them and not being sexist but young mothers of children too.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

Two of the family are back in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

Its sad Christmas week when life comes to this, people are under fierce pressure this year didn't help things weather wise you are only putting off the enevitable with banks, revenue, when you don't hit it head on .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Odelay

Joe Daly wrote: »
    Its sad Christmas week when life comes to this, people are under fierce pressure this year didn't help things weather wise you are only putting off the enevitable with banks, revenue, when you don't hit it head on .

His been under pressure since 1995.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Cattlepen

Where is the info coming from that the security firm were UVF?
    Had they high viz jackets with UVF on them or something? I wouldn’t think so.
    I’d say it’s just spin to get public support on the evicted families side. Maybe there’s a plantation of Roscommon about to happen🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Cattlepen wrote: »
    Where is the info coming from that the security firm were UVF?
    Had they high viz jackets with UVF on them or something? I wouldn’t think so.
    I’d say it’s just spin to get public support on the evicted families side. Maybe there’s a plantation of Roscommon about to happen🙄

I believe there's a video from the eviction with one of the heavies with a northern accent claiming to be British. Maybe not uvf but if he'd claimed to be Irish people would say it's the IRA.

Anyway there's something in it. There's been bigger better farms repossessed and we've not seen the likes of this. The gardaí are looking into dissident paramilitary involvement and it seems it was carefully planned. It wasn't just a few lads down the local co-op deciding to call up with baseball bats.

Nothing more sure to fire up dissident republicans than self proclaimed brits evicting Irish farmers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Maybe but who would you suggest they get then? Fact is that people have to be brought in from outside the area for that sort of work. And you'd need to be thick skinned and able to look after yerself in that line of work too.

Next time you hear people whining why the banks won't lend them money or whining about high interest rates, think back to this. How can anyone run a business like a bank, lending money, if there is no ultimate recourse if people won't pay??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭oceanman

I just don't get how banks can bring in these "rent a mob" tugs to do their dirty work, surely this should be all properly regulated ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

oceanman wrote: »
    I just don't get how banks can bring in these "rent a mob" tugs to do their dirty work, surely this should be all properly regulated ?

Yeah like the banks back in 2008 and the way they were giving out loans

• Registered Users Posts: 54,495 ✭✭✭✭walshb

oceanman wrote: »

Maybe, but the law still needs a physical presence and deterrent and enforcement...

Otherwise how would some of these laws be enforced?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭oceanman

walshb wrote: »
    Maybe, but the law still needs a physical presence and deterrent and enforcement...

Otherwise how would some of these laws be enforced?
    by people who are regulated or accountable ……...what do we know about any of these people or their background,why are they not subject to garda checks ect?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Tensions brewing in the area again tonight.

The 'security firm' are back in the area... Reports saying they are stationed (blockading according to some reports) at either end of the through road where the home is situated, with up to 100 neighbours standing around the home in question. Pretty clear that these guys have no good business in this area in the dark of night, whatever the rights and wrongs of what's happened last week there is an obvious public order 'event' brewing and these lads should be moved on.

Long night ahead in Strokestown....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,343 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

The 'security firm' are back in the area... Reports saying they are stationed (blockading according to some reports) at either end of the through road where the home is situated, with up to 100 neighbours standing around the home in question. Pretty clear that these guys have no good business in this area in the dark of night, whatever the rights and wrongs of what's happened last week there is an obvious public order 'event' brewing and these lads should be moved on.

Ohhh interesting

• Advertisement

Sounds like pretty serious stuff so. Wouldn’t like to be in the middle of that mess. Security going to end up getting their s**te kicked by the sound s of it if they are blockading a public road

Cattlepen wrote: »
    Sounds like pretty serious stuff so. Wouldn’t like to be in the middle of that mess. Security going to end up getting their s**te kicked by the sound s of it if they are blockading a public road

Looking for trouble of you ask me

• Registered Users Posts: 10,640 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

.....and to think they had an International Poetry competition there on the 7th Dec.

https://twitter.com/strokestownpoem?lang=en

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

Reggie. wrote: »
    Ohhh interesting

Is that the phone ringing?

Is that the phone ringing?

I'd say the ARU are nearby alright. We can't get involved

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭loveall

so we're going to go and kick the ****e out of these guys, doing their job, for a man that put himself alone (alone from either side) in the position he's in?

I can't see this as a step forward, only a step into the hands of the powers that be that have been winding both sides up with inaccurate reporting and a few well placed and well publicised.

Unfortunate (maybe) was y'man's mention of being a brit, but then maybe he'd just lost his dog.

Reggie. wrote: »
    Looking for trouble of you ask me

I agree. As the song says “know when to walk away and know when to run”

loveall wrote: »
    so we're going to go and kick the ****e out of these guys, doing their job, for a man that put himself alone (alone from either side) in the position he's in?

I can't see this as a step forward, only a step into the hands of the powers that be that have been winding both sides up with inaccurate reporting and a few well placed and well publicised.

Unfortunate (maybe) was y'man's mention of being a brit, but then maybe he'd just lost his dog.

I wasn’t condoning it. It would just seem like the inevitable conclusion to me. It could end up like a scene outa braveheart yet

loveall wrote: »

Tis the internet age now.

It was interesting looking at the profiles of the facebook commentators on the various farming groups.
    At the start of the rabble they had all chucky all La profiles before more suckers got pulled in.

It's a Sinn Fein miracle. Vote Sinn Fein.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,357 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Crazy stuff altogether. Someone is going to get seriously hurt or worse in this mess.

At the end of the day these people have not engaged with the banks, have debts to revenue and have defaulted on debts to local business.
    If everyone were to behave in the manner that they have, the country would fall to pieces in no time.
    The very end of the eviction process is what is happening now and unfortunately there are plenty who can not see why this has to happen.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement