Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - General Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Ok guysh, I am here today to show you a sankaku strangulation by manipulating the angulation for maximum efficiency.

Reminds me a lot of Lachlan Giles' Triangle video but the calf-on-shoulder pivot is a pretty sweet detail I hadn't seen before.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭cletus

Considering leg attacks are all the rage these days, I said I'd throw this up. Found it hugely informative

• Registered Users Posts: 38,998 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

cletus wrote: »
    Considering leg attacks are all the rage these days, I said I'd throw this up. Found it hugely informative

Check out Buchecha's version :pac:
    https://www.buchechaonline.com/video/buchecha-kneebar-half-guard/

Gordon's Ryan bosses it at worlds winning double gold. His doubters were clinging to notions such as "he only wins sub only", "he'll concede a lot of points in IBJJF", "he won't win without heelhooks" etc. But blown out if the water now.

They'll quickly double down on "he is good enough in the gi". But I wouldn't go near that bet.
    I can't want to see him take run at gi worlds next year.

Speaking of Gordon - What the **** was Cyborg up to in their final match?

DQ'd for 4 penalties including multiple "slaps". Thought Gordon took it very well when he came out the winner and claimed to have also now won his first Combat Jiu-jitsu match :pac:

• Advertisement

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Speaking of Gordon - What the **** was Cyborg up to in their final match?
    He was attempting a Schaub shutdown.
    DQ'd for 4 penalties including multiple "slaps". Thought Gordon took it very well when he came out the winner and claimed to have also now won his first Combat Jiu-jitsu match :pac:
    Was pretty embarrassing way to go after his rant during the week about respect.

In other NoGi Worlds news.
    Ffion Davis, recently promoted to black belt at ECJJ, took gold in the female FW division.

And Ralph Gracie kicked the **** out of Flávio Amedia. Knocked him down, kicked him in the face, knocked his teeth out.
    Eh...allegedly I guess.

Ralph is obviously taking his break-up with Kurt Ossiander well then :pac:

That's a huge achievement for both Ffion (who I think has moved to Dublin permanently to train in ECJJA) and Darragh & the ECJJA team. It's absolutely huge for the Irish jiujitsu scene.

Long may their successes continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Just a FYP, Grapple Kings has moved to the 3rd of March.

John Ging versus Sebastian Kozok is going to be a war... John has an axe to grind after their last match when he was dominating Kozok but popped a rib and then Kozok jumped around like he won the Olympics.

Ralph is obviously taking his break-up with Kurt Ossiander well then :pac:
    Given Ralph is such a old school violent nutter. I found the Kurt weird.
    That's a huge achievement for both Ffion (who I think has moved to Dublin permanently to train in ECJJA).
    Somebody on Reddit said that she's full time in Dublin. Can only be good for the local scene

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Yeah she's been full time in Dublin since September/October time.

Crazy to think she's only training BJJ for about 5 years....fair play to her!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,030 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

eeloe wrote: »
    Yeah she's been full time in Dublin since September/October time.

Crazy to think she's only training BJJ for about 5 years....fair play to her!

This is not intended to take anything away from her (Seriously, she's obviously the only British athlete to do what she has done so far?) but I think her competitive judo background must have been a help coming in. It's 5 years of BJJ but it's not 5 years of BJJ from absolutely no base.

Although when she did her interview with Dan Strauss on his podcast (Raspberry Ape podcast) she was pretty 'down' on her judo. Said that everyone assumed she had a great top game because of her judo, but she seemed to be pretty dismissive of her own ability, said she was a guard-puller and that she was working on that. Sometimes I wonder if female athletes (women in general actually) just have a tendency to be more self depreciating than men, though.

Great achievement for her, Darragh and East Coast, all things considered.

Her judo was 100% a help coming in, i'm fairly sure she would have been fast tracked to a blue belt at BJJ due to being so highly skilled at judo from the get go.

I remember her amateur MMA fights a few years ago, and her interviews she was a blue belt, this was about 2013-2014 i think.

So from blue to black in about 4-5 years, damn impressive.

It would be a completely different story if she was a black belt in that length of time and she was a terrible player...but it's the complete opposite, she's an absolute beast.

Just by way of general chit chat now.. I suppose when someone comes in from a judo background it really depends on what kind of player they were, and for how long.

There are judo guys I have met who you probably would put at blue belt for the purposes of BJJ competition and general carryover to BJJ, I'm assuming because there is a spectrum with BJJ players in terms of ability, like with anything else, and because they might not have done much newaza in their Judo. On the other hand I recently met someone who was a fairly active judo competitor and probably has ten years of training and doing a bit of coaching. I think with them you'd be thinking they are more at the level of a purple at least, the knowledge base there is a lot more extensive. And then, on one occasion, we had someone come to the club who was an international Judo competitor from the Netherlands. I think with him you'd be hard pressed to say he wouldn't have been worth a purple or brown belt straight off and probably a black within a few short years if it was a complete switch over. But pure speculation obviously.

Only catching up on some of the worlds matches now. The Cyborg match in the final has to be one of the more bizarre things I've seen in bjj.

No doubting that Ryan is top tier, though. Great to see a dominant grappler essentially come up through the sub only route.

cletus wrote: »
    The Cyborg match in the final has to be one of the more bizarre things I've seen in bjj.

Have you seen the video of Ralph Gracie going ham on Flavio Almeida while the actual jiujitsu was taking place on the mats in front of them? :pac:

Cyborg released a statement about why he acted like that, it's up on reddit (r/bjj). Doesn't do much for me, it's from the 'I'm all about honour and respect except when I'm provoked in any way' school.

Does anyone know of any open mats on the 24th and / or the 27th which are open to anyone, Dublin area?

Have you seen the video of Ralph Gracie going ham on Flavio Almeida while the actual jiujitsu was taking place on the mats in front of them? :pac:

I'd only read reports about it. Definitely tops Cyborg :D

What a shïtty scumbag move. Almeida is even touching his arm inwhat appears to be a conciliatory manner

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Hi, its my first time, im moving to the west and emailed about joining.
    Should i get a Gi while im still in dublin ?

• Advertisement

Spunge wrote: »
    Hi, its my first time, im moving to the west and emailed about joining.
    Should i get a Gi while im still in dublin ?

The best value / quality is online, so it doesn't really matter, Dublin v Galway.

Scramble, a UK company, are doing a 'lucky bag' on new year's eve that is normally excellent value. If you select the gi option, you pay a fixed price, and they send you a gi in your size plus a number of gifts. It's a sort of a sale / novelty event that normally offers very good value. In previous years people ended up getting a premium gi, a cheaper gi and maybe a beanie hat or t-shirt or similar.

But if you've not trained before then you might be better off doing a few classes at your new school and then taking the plunge. They might prefer to sell you something club branded anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

The best value / quality is online, so it doesn't really matter, Dublin v Galway.

Scramble, a UK company, are doing a 'lucky bag' on new year's eve that is normally excellent value. If you select the gi option, you pay a fixed price, and they send you a gi in your size plus a number of gifts. It's a sort of a sale / novelty event that normally offers very good value. In previous years people ended up getting a premium gi, a cheaper gi and maybe a beanie hat or t-shirt or similar.

But if you've not trained before then you might be better off doing a few classes at your new school and then taking the plunge. They might prefer to sell you something club branded anyway.

I must have a look at that myself. Sounds like a great deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ElektroToad

Hey all - so a new year is upon us and I'm thinking of giving BJJ a go as looks like it would be an interesting way to get in shape while learning something completely new

Was doing a bit of research for gyms in Dublin CC and am considering dropping by Wild Geese and/or JS on Parnell st. as they both have been mentioned here in the past. So thought I'd just check if there is any where else in the city centre that is worth considering?

Hey all - so a new year is upon us and I'm thinking of giving BJJ a go as looks like it would be an interesting way to get in shape while learning something completely new

Was doing a bit of research for gyms in Dublin CC and am considering dropping by Wild Geese and/or JS on Parnell st. as they both have been mentioned here in the past. So thought I'd just check if there is any where else in the city centre that is worth considering?

There's also Jungle BJJ Dublin (https://www.junglebjjdublin.com/) which is in Portobello.

Jorge Santos is also a good option. I trained there briefly while working near by and everyone was very welcoming. Jorge still competes himself, at blackbelt, which is always an advantage when looking for a training location imo.

I train at JSBJJ so I'm biased, but I just want to mention that there is some kind of beginner's deal on at the moment so you might check out whether it's worthwhile.

In the city centre I think the other options, in addition to those mentioned above, would be Andre Ramos and Phantom? Maybe there are others also.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ElektroToad

I train at JSBJJ so I'm biased, but I just want to mention that there is some kind of beginner's deal on at the moment so you might check out whether it's worthwhile.

In the city centre I think the other options, in addition to those mentioned above, would be Andre Ramos and Phantom? Maybe there are others also.

Cheers - wasn't aware of either of these two gyms as they didn't show up on google. Nice to know there's plenty of options in that area!

Jungle BJJ mentioned earlier also looks good but unfortunately the location is that bit more awkward for me to get to straight from the office.

Good to hear the positives about JSBJJ as I have an intro class booked for Saturday so we'll see how I get on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭11521323

Does anyone know if there's anywhere in Dublin (not even necessarily a martial arts club, even a sports complex or something) where you can pay a fee to use mat space suitable for drilling?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Finally got around to joining a local club, having just moved house.

I'd done a bit of training before but never made any real progress. Busy work schedule meant that I was always only ever ticking-over and rarely got to train. So i'm pretty much a total beginner again with a little bit of knowledge hidden somewhere in the back of my mind.

A few things have changed so now I should be able to get stuck in properly. Tonight i'll be going for my 3rd session this week. Really enjoying it.

That’s brilliant Mr.

Keep it up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

11521323 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there's anywhere in Dublin (not even necessarily a martial arts club, even a sports complex or something) where you can pay a fee to use mat space suitable for drilling?

Portmarnock Judo Club has a 200 sq mtr matted area available Monday and Thursday evening which is suitable for BJJ, Wrestling, Judo etc. Its €40 per hour

From the clubs facebook page
    Available to rent on, Portmarnock, Monday 6pm to 8pm and Thursday 6pm to 8.30pm,large training area, approx 200sqm
    Including a full mat area upto 100sqm.
    showers, sauna, (pool facility)
    Ample free parking etc. If anyone interested ,contact Ray Stears (0862597192).The rent is negotiable depending on how many hours required. Cost will be approximately €40 per hour total. Suitable for BJJ, mma, or any classes.

Advertisement