Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Does anyone here think Jones beat Gustafson in the first fight? I just watched it again, I watched it real closely and I only have Jones winning 2 and even those too were close, Gus completey dominated him the first 3! Really looking forward to this fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,813 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Does anyone here think Jones beat Gustafson in the first fight? I just watched it again, I watched it real closely and I only have Jones winning 2 and even those too were close, Gus completey dominated him the first 3! Really looking forward to this fight.

Gotta back him at the price

Fancy it being as close this time v what could be an improved Gus

For me it would be up there with bisp beating rock
    I'd be happy for days after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

I think the consensus is and was that Gus won and the judges got it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

such a close fight the first time but i think gus edged the win. however jones didnt really train or take gus serious in the last fight. this time jones is taking it very serious but gus is better than the last time. both have had a long lay off its really tough to pick a winner but it will be a cracking fight.

could you imagine if jones lost after fighting so hard to get back and getting a title shot straight away

• Registered Users Posts: 39,020 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'd have to go back and watch it closely. But I think I had Jones edging 3 and Gus hammering him in two. Much like GSP Hendricks, although much closer.

Does anyone think the new scoring changes anything this time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

DuZkojLUUAAx4Wh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    . however jones didnt really train or take gus serious in the last fight. this time jones is taking it very serious but gus is better than the last time/quote]]

That's absolute waffle, how can a guy go flat out for 25 minutes if he hasn't trained?

Why anyone would believe a word out of Jone's mouth is beyond me.

DC called that stoppage almost a minute earlier than the Referee, Hooker literally had to play dead. Sooner people like DC, Bisping, Woodley, ect get into Reffing and judging instead of punditry the better. Being an official probably doesn't pay though.

DC called that stoppage almost a minute earlier than the Referee, Hooker literally had to play dead. Sooner people like DC, Bisping, Woodley, ect get into Reffing and judging instead of punditry the better. Being an official probably doesn't pay though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Post edited because of spoilers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Feck off with the spoilers lads, this is the general thread.

Event thread:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057938337

• Registered Users Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Feck off with the spoilers lads, this is the general thread.

Event thread:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057938337

Apologies, post edited.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

Who risks coming into an mma forum if they are trying to avoid the results of a fight? Crazy I tell ya!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,864 ✭✭✭cletus

how.gareth wrote: »
    Who risks coming into an mma forum if they are trying to avoid the results of a fight? Crazy I tell ya!!

I often do. I just avoid the threads about the event, as that's where the event chat should happen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

What would you expect in the general thread if not results? I mean if I'm trying to avoid results, i dont look at whatsapp, boards or the Internet until I've seen what I want, its just asking for it to be ruined.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Fight results go in the fight event thread - its part of the charter about spoilers and its really just common sense, end of discussion..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Axwell wrote: »
    Fight results go in the fight event thread - its part of the charter about spoilers and its really just common sense, end of discussion..

Not to be a kiss ass, but UFC on Fox Lee Vs Iaquinta 2 is hardly one drawing anyone other than forum regulars in. Shouldn't have been any issues at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

nick diaz has said he never agreed to fight masvidal at ufc235

sweet baby jesus why cant the stars aline and let one of the diaz brothers fight:P

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    nick diaz has said he never agreed to fight masvidal at ufc235

sweet baby jesus why cant the stars aline and let one of the diaz brothers fight:P

I can't think of a worse fight for nate diaz which might be a factor, hasn't a hope of beating jorge who is imo possibly the toughest fighter in the ufc or close.

nate still holding out for a big name or a big payday no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

mailburner wrote: »
    I can't think of a worse fight for nate diaz which might be a factor, hasn't a hope of beating jorge who is imo possibly the toughest fighter in the ufc or close.

nate still holding out for a big name or a big payday no doubt.

It's Nick being matched against Masivdal though. Either way the Diaz brothers will relish a brawler like Masivdal. A top heavy wrestler is their worst matchup, they've been beaten by wrestlers their whole career.

• Advertisement

dulux99 wrote: »
    It's Nick being matched against Masivdal though. Either way the Diaz brothers will relish a brawler like Masivdal. A top heavy wrestler is their worst matchup, they've been beaten by wrestlers their whole career.

ah sh1te..my bad.

that would be a great fight though, for me it would be like nick fighting himself and both could take punches all night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Dominick Cruz says will be out for about a year with his shoulder injury. He's set up with a job now as commentator & pundit but he still says he'll be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

How does Nick Diaz support himself? I've been following MMA since 2015 and I haven't seen him fight yet. By all accounts he's living it up in nightclubs the whole time. Is he likely just mooching off of his younger brother?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

How does Nick Diaz support himself? I've been following MMA since 2015 and I haven't seen him fight yet. By all accounts he's living it up in nightclubs the whole time. Is he likely just mooching off of his younger brother?

He made a few million between fighter salaries and ppv points, he has dozens of sponsors, and they own several businesses between then (including his successful BJJ/MMA academy).
    He basically supported Nate entirely from when he was a teenager until 3 years ago, if Nate is helping him out now, fair play to him.

Zabit vs Stephens doesn't do much for me. Would prefer to see him step up a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Zabit v Who the **** is that guy confired for 235. Good fight that is. Step up for Zabit also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Zabit vs Stephens doesn't do much for me. Would prefer to see him step up a bit more.

nah Stephens is a decent step up. ya don't want to blow the load and get Zabit a top 5 fight before he's even fought anyone in the top 10. Stephens at 6 is the perfect litmus test.

nah Stephens is a decent step up. ya don't want to blow the load and get Zabit a top 5 fight before he's even fought anyone in the top 10. Stephens at 6 is the perfect litmus test.

I suppose, when you look at his CV he hasn't really fought anyone but it's the manner in which he's beating them has me wanting to see him vs someone like Edgar or Yair.

I suppose, when you look at his CV he hasn't really fought anyone but it's the manner in which he's beating them has me wanting to see him vs someone like Edgar or Yair.

Stephens is ranked higher than yair. Do you want him to step up or not?

• Advertisement

Stephens is ranked higher than yair. Do you want him to step up or not?

Those rankings are a load of sh*te. Edson Barboza put on a clinic last weekend and fell in the rankings. Personally I believe Yair is a bigger stepup in competition than Stephens, that's my opinion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement