Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Phobic/ traumatised rescue cat

Options
  • 13-12-2018 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭

As I think you know, I took in three rescues recently. All I really knew as it was a private lady who had a whole lot of them, was that she had found them one by one living on the streets. They had been so well cared for by her, spayed etc,

One boy, 2 girls.

The boy, at last, has settled and so has one of the girls, but the third one is a different matter.

About a year old. She is one of the most tactile and overly affectionate cats I have ever had... on her terms. A study in contrasts. She hates being picked up but then will purr and lick and rub.. never a scratch or hostility; I have been treating an eye infection in her so have had to catch her.

I do let them out. The other 2 now come in to call. This little one, once out, is a different matter. ( she is now helping me type with a loud loud purr) She will not come in; shows sheer terror when she sees me. Hides, runs away. Just got her in after 24 hours. I knew she was Ok as she stays in the shed, but utter terror if I appeared.

I knew she was hungry; and she was getting near the door, but clearly phobic about coming through it. Took an hour to get her in and then by propping the door open and hiding until she was in. She went back and forth, just like one of us trying to find the courage.

Ate ravenously, then to me, and licking and purring and pawing, happiest little cat in the world.

I dread to think what she has endured and will treasure her now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

well done OP. Our first rescue was like that. She lost an eye before we got her because of how she was treated previously and was utterly terrified of being picked up - but like yours, no issue with giving affection once she settled a bit.

Only going little by little and gaining her trust have we gotten to the point where we can pick her up enough to give her a few cuddles and put her safely into her carrier for the vets. The first few times we had to bring hr in were nightmares, we knew she was terrified but she had to go in.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

well done OP. Our first rescue was like that. She lost an eye before we got her because of how she was treated previously and was utterly terrified of being picked up - but like yours, no issue with giving affection once she settled a bit.

Only going little by little and gaining her trust have we gotten to the point where we can pick her up enough to give her a few cuddles and put her safely into her carrier for the vets. The first few times we had to bring hr in were nightmares, we knew she was terrified but she had to go in.

Thank you. She is now firmly attached to my hand, eyes close, purring.. just is she seems to change personality when she goes outside. Terror of me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

No two cats are the same, but one thing I have noticed over the years , no matter how much of a pet, a cat is in the house if i come across them down the fields when there hunting they will not come near me or let me catch them

No two cats are the same, but one thing I have noticed over the years , no matter how much of a pet, a cat is in the house if i come across them down the fields when there hunting they will not come near me or let me catch them

This is different. She wants in, but is clearly terrified of going through the door. Took her a full hour today and acute hunger to get through it. Try after try she made.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Hi Graces,

My neighbours' cat, who I mind when the neighbours are away is exactly like this. Very affectionate and loving, loves petting and cuddles as long as it is initiated by him. But once you let him out he won't come back in. Very anxious, afraid of us, clearly wants to come back inside but too terrified to cross the threshold.

We had so many near misses with him disappearing and coming close to death that the only solution was to make him a house cat full time. Takes a bit of logistics if you've got other cats who go out but it can be done. Making sure he's safely behind at least one firmly closed door before the others are let out or in has become second nature.

Plenty of toys, litter trays and the company of other cats and yours should be grand if you keep her in. Sometimes it's the only way to ensure their health and well being.

• Advertisement

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Hi Graces,

My neighbours' cat, who I mind when the neighbours are away is exactly like this. Very affectionate and loving, loves petting and cuddles as long as it is initiated by him. But once you let him out he won't come back in. Very anxious, afraid of us, clearly wants to come back inside but too terrified to cross the threshold.

We had so many near misses with him disappearing and coming close to death that the only solution was to make him a house cat full time. Takes a bit of logistics if you've got other cats who go out but it can be done. Making sure he's safely behind at least one firmly closed door before the others are let out or in has become second nature.

Plenty of toys, litter trays and the company of other cats and yours should be grand if you keep her in. Sometimes it's the only way to ensure their health and well being.

Thanks for this and I am thinking towards this, but early days yet, The boy was much the same but now rolls on his back in my path when I am outside. At least there is no traffic out here so she is safe

In both cases something must have triggered this. In all my decades of cats I have never seen this before. Like two different cats!

Mine run to me wherever they are. When I am at the end of the drive waiting for the minibus to the pier I am never alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Graces7 could it be that she was hurt coming through a door at some stage - one of mine got caught by the door banging in the wind as she went through - major ouch - I was terrified it could have snapped ribs, or caused major damage (luckily not, but shes wary of the door now.
    Also, my first cat, the most affectionate little thing, WILL NOT come near or let me near when we're outdoors - she takes off like a shot!
    What is it with cats - wierd in the extreme
    Hopefully your little cat will settle in soon - would a cat flap in the door be worth investigating?
    Dreadful weather ahead, maybe keep them indoors??

aonb wrote: »
    Graces7 could it be that she was hurt coming through a door at some stage - one of mine got caught by the door banging in the wind as she went through - major ouch - I was terrified it could have snapped ribs, or caused major damage (luckily not, but shes wary of the door now.
    Also, my first cat, the most affectionate little thing, WILL NOT come near or let me near when we're outdoors - she takes off like a shot!
    What is it with cats - wierd in the extreme
    Hopefully your little cat will settle in soon - would a cat flap in the door be worth investigating?
    Dreadful weather ahead, maybe keep them indoors??

Thanks and to all for insights.

Thanks to you am understanding more.

She does not roam. Spends all the day in the half ruined sheds near the dwelling; ie they have doors. If i appear she is terrified and runs and hides.

Same in the dwelling; early today I was in the kitchen ie standing up and she would not let me near her. But when I came back to bed and was all but lying down? Attached to my hand purring and licking...

Just pouring love into her. At some stage she has been traumatised. Maybe used to live in ruined houses?

The 2 girls are at the end of the bed now, happy; we shall see.. It was just watching her fighting her terror to get through the door y'day AGAIN.

She is safe here

WELL!!

Little cat was on me all morning; then leary when I was working in the kitchen. as in DO NOT TOUCH ME!

So I let her out and into the shed she flew....

Was out for turf and called her . No reply.. Then just now I heard a cat at the door, opened it and in she came! No hesitation.

All over my hands purring now! Oh wonderful! So delighted. Happy Christmas, Bella!

• Advertisement

GREAT NEWS! specially when the weather is so bad at the moment - lovely to see her starting to trust you :):):) The door thing must have been a past-fear that shes overcome

My second little rescue/ex-feral has moved into the house - I turf her out around midnight - she goes to a cosy shed, with her food and nice deep blanket bed - but as soon as I come to the kitchen in the morning, shes at the back door demanding entry for her breakfast, then in for the whole day. This is the little skeletal wreck feral that arrived a year ago - shes tamer now than our hand-reared cat who has been here for 3 years. They really love their comforts poor little scraps

GREAT NEWS! specially when the weather is so bad at the moment - lovely to see her starting to trust you :):):) The door thing must have been a past-fear that shes overcome

My second little rescue/ex-feral has moved into the house - I turf her out around midnight - she goes to a cosy shed, with her food and nice deep blanket bed - but as soon as I come to the kitchen in the morning, shes at the back door demanding entry for her breakfast, then in for the whole day. This is the little skeletal wreck feral that arrived a year ago - shes tamer now than our hand-reared cat who has been here for 3 years. They really love their comforts poor little scraps

Ah wonderful!

She is still leary of me when I am standing up... Sounds crazy? She is all over me, loving and purring when I am here abed. Goes to sleep with her front legs stretched as far as they will go towards me, but in the kitchen? tends to run away... she had an eye infection and never any aggression when I was treating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Is she a tortoise shell?
    They are particularly weird, in my experience

Is she a tortoise shell?
    They are particularly weird, in my experience

No; jet black! I don't think she is weird, just been treated cruelly. She is coming on splendidly but it is like a temperature chart, with spikes and troughs . She started grooming my hand today!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭acequion

There is no living creature man or beast whose anxiety isn't soothed by love.

Bless you Graces for your kindness to the little pet. She's lucky to have you.

acequion wrote: »
    There is no living creature man or beast whose anxiety isn't soothed by love.

Bless you Graces for your kindness to the little pet. She's lucky to have you.

lol, I actually TOOK her outside earlier as she had not been out! When I called her, in she came with just one small moment of hesitation!

Was going to ask. Where she was shaved for spaying ( and a huge expanse) looks to be growing back pale grey. Will this change back please? The other one, a matt shorter black is fine.

She as they all do blesses me after losing Beata and Scallywag.

How is little kitty doing OP?

acequion wrote: »
    How is little kitty doing OP?

ah coming on a treat! she is two cats, one indoors one outside but the boundary between the two is blurring.

She even sometimes calls to be let in and taps at the door..
    Then flies in at the speed of light...

The day of the thunderclap she was wild all day; she knew.

we are well used to each other now... both the wee girls are growing like weeds.
    So happy with them..

Huge smiles here..

Progress has been steady. Sometimes she fights shy of coming in, and a few times she has seen the door opening when she is at the far end of the path and you can see her taking a deep breath to psych herself up then CHARGE!

Early today she actually cried at the door to be let in, and in she came with never a hesitation ....

YAY!

She has also grown a great amount. Big girl now she is and long haired.. I am delighted.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Huge smiles here..

Progress has been steady. Sometimes she fights shy of coming in, and a few times she has seen the door opening when she is at the far end of the path and you can see her taking a deep breath to psych herself up then CHARGE!

Early today she actually cried at the door to be let in, and in she came with never a hesitation ....

YAY!

She has also grown a great amount. Big girl now she is and long haired.. I am delighted.

Oh she sounds just fab :):)

• Advertisement

Graces7 wrote: »
    Huge smiles here..

YAY!

It's just wonderful when you feel you are making progress . Trust takes time to build but when it starts, it's so heartening... imagine how your little cat feels when shes less stressed with each days improvements 8-)

It's just wonderful when you feel you are making progress . Trust takes time to build but when it starts, it's so heartening... imagine how your little cat feels when shes less stressed with each days improvements 8-)

all the more so for me as these were the three I took when my dog and old cat died.

yesterday was the first time she has asked to come in! she is very polite when I offer to pet her.. no ears back but no great welcome... ah she has heard us and has leaped up to be petted!

Advertisement