Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Instant photo thread.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

One of my kids wants Santa to bring one of these (Fuji Instax 9) this year

What do people that own them think?

My understanding is that you take a pic, it prints there and then. But I would like for the child to have something that they could mess around with by adding frames or funny editing filters .

It also seems to be somewhat expensive comparedto heading to Tesco or Harvey Norman's to print pictures.

In saying that the camera looks nice and funky, but I just don't know about not being able to store pics.

Someone help me out here.

A 7 year old child. Get this or a digital camera?

Btw vtechs camera isn't an option. I've been told that the cousin's have one , and "it's for kids" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Rick Shaw wrote: »

My understanding is that you take a pic, it prints there and then. But I would like for the child to have something that they could mess around with by adding frames or funny editing filters .

It also seems to be somewhat expensive comparedto heading to Tesco or Harvey Norman's to print pictures.

In saying that the camera looks nice and funky, but I just don't know about not being able to store pics.

Btw vtechs camera isn't an option. I've been told that the cousin's have one , and "it's for kids" ;)

Wondering the same myself. Young fella is super interested in taking pictures like I do when we're out and about. Was looking at a Coolpix S33 because it can take damage. Would a 7 year old be able to resist snapping away? Instax film adds up when you start buying two or three packs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Rick Shaw wrote: »

I've not gotten one - wanted a square format... the Instax Square doesn't look great... planning on getting the OneStep 2 soon.

What I can say to you is this though. Your kid will probably get a lot more enjoyment, fun and learning out of an instant camera than a digital one. Not that the primary objective of the camera is to learn life lessons but with the dependence on physical cartridges, he/she will quickly learn the value of each shot. This will make them more aware of not "wasting" shots and therefore make them a better photographer. Plus, you have the ongoing excitement of getting new cartridges (possibly) with their own money, which makes them more invested in the whole process. On the fun side of things, instant print is far more fun than a trip to the pharmacy, spending half an hour at one of those machine rummaging through 50 photos of a plate, followed by another 50 blurry shots of the family dog, etc. :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Bacchus wrote: »
    I've not gotten one - wanted a square format... the Instax Square doesn't look great... planning on getting the OneStep 2 soon.

What I can say to you is this though. Your kid will probably get a lot more enjoyment, fun and learning out of an instant camera than a digital one. Not that the primary objective of the camera is to learn life lessons but with the dependence on physical cartridges, he/she will quickly learn the value of each shot. This will make them more aware of not "wasting" shots and therefore make them a better photographer. Plus, you have the ongoing excitement of getting new cartridges (possibly) with their own money, which makes them more invested in the whole process. On the fun side of things, instant print is far more fun than a trip to the pharmacy, spending half an hour at one of those machine rummaging through 50 photos of a plate, followed by another 50 blurry shots of the family dog, etc. :)

I would disagree here. A 7 year old will not appreciate the cost of film, or worry too much about wasting film.

I would wonder if an instax printer would be better, they would be able to mess around with any photo they've taken with a phone/tablet and be able to print them on the same film as an instax camera. It cuts out the wasted shots when you forget to change the focus from close to infinity (happens me all the time). And when the flash fires when you don't want it etc. EDIT:I just checked the price of the printer... pretty high, and the camera is less than the last I checked...

I have an instax wide camera, bought it for 20eur on adverts. It's good fun for me to use, for the reasons Bacchus mentions. No editing, limited exposures, only taking the shots I really like etc. But the film is crazy expensive, and I wouldn't use it often as a result.

I do appreciate that getting Santa to convince someone to change their mind might be difficult!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

I would disagree here. A 7 year old will not appreciate the cost of film, or worry too much about wasting film.

You don't think a 7 year old could understand that once the 10 shots (or whatever Instax have in a pack) are gone that that's it? I'm sure after the first pack or two and having to wait to buy more, they'd learn that they need to pick their targets more carefully. I'm not talking about "cost" in money terms btw, I specifically say "value". Money is a difficult concept to grasp but not being able to take more photos because you're out of film isn't. If they are interested in putting their pocket money toward packs, well that's bonus in my eyes.
    I would wonder if an instax printer would be better, they would be able to mess around with any photo they've taken with a phone/tablet and be able to print them on the same film as an instax camera. It cuts out the wasted shots when you forget to change the focus from close to infinity (happens me all the time). And when the flash fires when you don't want it etc. EDIT:I just checked the price of the printer... pretty high, and the camera is less than the last I checked...

I think that is a valid point and if the kid was just looking for a camera I'd be inclined to think that is a good enough reason to get a basic P&S. However, the kid did ask for an instant camera and IMO, if there's an actual interest in photography there, an instant camera has merit as a fun learning tool. The ability to take thousands of photos has the advantage of being able to make thousands of mistakes but when the mistakes don't actually matter, is there really as much learning in it? When you make a mistake with film... that's it, that shot is gone. Less opportunity to learn but harsher lesson. Benefits to both approaches.
    I have an instax wide camera, bought it for 20eur on adverts. It's good fun for me to use, for the reasons Bacchus mentions. No editing, limited exposures, only taking the shots I really like etc. But the film is crazy expensive, and I wouldn't use it often as a result.

I do appreciate that getting Santa to convince someone to change their mind might be difficult!

Agreed... if there is a big downside to Instant, it is the cost. While it has the potential to add to the excitement/novelty of owning an Instant camera, it could also stifle interest if you plan on getting your kid, say... 1 pack a month. The camera would in effect be useless between packs. If you want to be getting more packs than that, then yes, look at the cost. What is it now? The mini packs of 10 are €10? B&W film might be cheaper?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭ablelocks

just a heads up for anyone interested - smyths are selling the polaroid zip at €40, there is one red one left in the Limerick childers road store. It's not on their website, so there may only be ltd stock (if any) in other stores

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Dub.

Impossible Project, now known as Polaroid Originals. trying to kill Instax square.

They reckon they own the rights to white borders on square photos.

https://petapixel.com/2017/11/17/fujifilm-polaroid-demanding-millions-per-year-white-border-instax/

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Has anyone used the monochrome instax film? I was surprised to see that they are making it in Instax Wide format too. Just waiting on stock to arrive into Amazon before ordering. Should be fun.

Has anyone used the monochrome instax film? I was surprised to see that they are making it in Instax Wide format too. Just waiting on stock to arrive into Amazon before ordering. Should be fun.

Yup, used a fair bit of it. Its nice to use, good contrast on it.

fixxxer wrote: »

Available now at twelve quid a pack. Expensive, but i`ve got a couple of packs in the post.

Now, if only they released a decent wide camera..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/instax-Wide-Monochrome-Film-Black/dp/B077115N5R/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1514916591&sr=8-2&keywords=instax+monochrome

• Advertisement

Incidently, some gave me a Polaroid Spectra the other day and the Polaroid Originals film for that is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,693 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Sorry for raising an old thread... But I'm considering the Instax SP-3 printer... Anyone have any experience with it? Know any good deals?

Where's best to buy paper? Amazon looks like the most reasonable I've found so far...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Dub. wrote: »
    This is more like it. The Fuji sq6 square format camera.

that IS interesting. Might be time to get my Dremel out again.

27563270048_55c7c083f2_c.jpg

fixxxer wrote: »

Finally ordered 2 sets of monochrome film. Looking forward to it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

santy time again folks

Looking for a camera for home use only, taking family pics of the kids ect to put on fridge and into card ect.

Whats the most cost effective film wise? do generics exist or is it all locked down?

Dont need anything with bells and whistlers, point, shoot ect.

Would even look into a 2nd hand one on adverts if the film was available and not mental money.

Cheers

Advertisement