Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boxing on TG4 tonight 20:30

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭megadodge

Nobody can take those achievements away from him. European golds are rare.

But if I recall correctly, he didn't win that many senior titles. It might be more of a case of people being disappointed for him after expectations being set too high from his underage exploits. It's not saying he wasn't very good.

I wasn't commenting on your post, which was pretty fair.

He was inconsistent. But the standard in Ireland was very high at the time.

However, labelling him "ok" reminds me that it's Saturday night. Hiccup!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Is Ogogo a top amateur then with an Olympic Bronze?

Try_harder wrote: »
    Is Ogogo a top amateur then with an Olympic Bronze?

You commented that a European Senior Champion was an "ok" amateur.

That's what I commented on.

It's no wonder you change your Username so often trying to back up that sort of crap.

megadodge wrote: »
    You commented that a European Senior Champion was an "ok" amateur.

That's what I commented on.

It's no wonder you change your Username so often trying to back up that sort of crap.

Thats not why I change it, no need for the personal attacks

He fought my mate in the intermediates- shipped a lot of punches never over impressed by him at senior either. To me he was an ok international amateur boxer.

• Advertisement

He fought my mate in the intermediates- shipped a lot of punches never over impressed by him at senior either. To me he was an ok international amateur boxer.

So now you're revising - he has improved to an "ok international amateur boxer" not just an "ok amateur" boxer.

Either way, it's obvious even you're seeing the ridiculousness of claiming an "ok" amateur boxer is capable of winning the European Senior title.

Stop digging.

So now you're revising - he has improved to an "ok international amateur boxer" not just an "ok amateur" boxer.

Either way, it's obvious even you're seeing the ridiculousness of claiming an "ok" amateur boxer is capable of winning the European Senior title.

Stop digging.

At least you have dropped the personal abuse. I dont do hyperbole- top is top, top top is bollox.

At least you have dropped the personal abuse. I dont do hyperbole- top is top, top top is bollox.

Yet again, you are trying to distract from YOUR comment.

I never mentioned "elite".
    I never mentioned "top".
    And I certainly never mentioned "top top" whatever the hell that is.

I was commenting on what YOU said.
    Which was that a person who won a World Youth title and European Senior title was merely an "ok amateur".

Not alone is that just factually wrong and stupid, it's highly disrespectful! And yet you try to change tack by accusing me of personal abuse???

I guess I'll just go around to all the World Youth champions that my neighbourhood is full of and see do they agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,569 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I think a common ground needs to be reached regarding Moylette as an amateur..

Simple: on form he could hold his own with any amateur in his weight class..

Do I or did I ever consider him an elite amateur? No...

My definition of elite is for those top rated guys that have top rated consistency on the world stage.

And I well aware that a European Senior/Elite gold is a great achievement..

walshb wrote: »
    I think a common ground needs to be reached regarding Moylette as an amateur..

Simple: on form he could hold his own with any amateur in his weight class..

Do I or did I ever consider him an elite amateur? No...

My definition of elite is for those top rated guys that have top rated consistency on the world stage.

And I well aware that a European Senior/Elite gold is s great achievement..

So maybe, just maybe, he was better than an "ok amateur"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Lads, the whole discussion is relative so just give it a rest. Thoroughly bored by it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,569 ✭✭✭✭walshb

So maybe, just maybe, he was better than an "ok amateur"?

You’d have to ask that poster...

If I was the poster I guess my argument would be due to him lacking any real consistency...doing well, but not really excelling enough through the years...

If you didn’t know about his European Gold and saw him boxing you would not think elite....that’s just my view...and I have seen him live several times in the stadium.

Ok could mean good, decent.......could mean it...!

Advertisement