Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety ads from the 70's and 80's,which ones would you like to see again?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Thanks!!
    I did mention this very ad on either this thread or another one.

I remember as well that a few years later this ad was re-done, same ad but the talking voiceover was replaced by sombre music accompanied by a female voice singing which sounded more like keening.

Here it is.

This was from the 90's but anyone remember the road safety advert where a guy is driving dangerously and there's a techno dance beat soundtrack then it changes to him in a wheelchair and the dance beat is him bouncing a basketball?
    Yep, I remember that one well enough,but I can't remember what was said at the end.

Found it, quite a graphic one.

Just came across this late 70's HSE pif. Not sure if I remember this one or not, some details of it seem vaguely familiar. Also who's yer man in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

I remember it. I wanted the truck. Got something vaguely like it in 1980.
    Wonder where the uploader got hold of it.

I remember it. I wanted the truck. Got something vaguely like it in 1980.
    Wonder where the uploader got hold of it.

Yes interested to know that too, they have a lot of PIF's up, mainly British as far as I can see.

• Advertisement

Yes interested to know that too, they have a lot of PIF's up, mainly British as far as I can see.

Many of the public information films were made by the Health Education Bureau which was wound up in 1987. The only place to view that material appears to be in the IFI Archive who do not permit people to make copies. Similiar dilemmas with National Road Safety Association and the Irish Water Safety stuff.

They don't seem to have any other Irish made pifs but I do remember RTE showing this one. I think it might have been pulled following complaints. I certainly recall someone complaining about it to Arthur Murphys Mailbag.

Many of the public information films were made by the Health Education Bureau which was wound up in 1987. The only place to view that material appears to be in the IFI Archive who do not permit people to make copies. Similiar dilemmas with National Road Safety Association and the Irish Water Safety stuff.

They put up a handful of PIF's on their player as part of the Adverts Restoration Project. The Bob Geldof Phone Wreckers one and a handful of others including one pretty innocuous HEB one about excerise,wonder do they have more in their archives? Would be great to see some of the classic ones that are still unavailable online.

The 1987 AIDS pif must have been among the HEB's last ones as it came out in 87. Interestingly it was shown on Reeling In The Years as have been a few other pifs, the early 90's Guaranteed Irish one with all the stuff smashing into a shopping trolly being another so RTE must have some access to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato
    Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Also who's yer man in it?

Dr Anthony Clare

Probably had the most distinctive voice in broadcasting after Kenneth Williams!

Pathetic that as late as 1987 in that AIDS ad they could only say "condoms give some protection", no doubt they didn't want to upset the god botherers

Poor kid in that video looks terrified.

It took a while but I don't mind. How does my body look in this light?

• Advertisement

Dr Anthony Clare

Probably had the most distinctive voice in broadcasting after Kenneth Williams!

Pathetic that as late as 1987 in that AIDS ad they could only say "condoms give some protection", no doubt they didn't want to upset the god botherers

Poor kid in that video looks terrified.

I thought he was familiar from somewhere.

Firehound, never give a fire a chance. He was kind of like an Irish version of Smokey the bear. There were print ads with him too which featured him pointing at the viewer kind of like those famous posters of Kitchener from WW1.

Whoever made this must have been smoking the strong stuff.

Wasn't this shown on RTE, though its British? I remember this and we lived in two channel land.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Wasn't this shown on RTE, though its British? I remember this and we lived in two channel land.

That was the type of ad that really upset me as a small kid

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

branie2 wrote: »
    That was the type of ad that really upset me as a small kid

Yeah, me too. I remember it well. But I never fcuked around with electricity after seeing it, so it was effective!

A 90's update of sorts of the old Play Safe 70's advert.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Chauncey Gardner

Anybody got a link for the RTE 70s ad where a group of men were in a pub merrily drinking and giving out about the various costs of sending a child to school?

The message being they were spending too much dosh in the pub.

Thanks

Anybody got a link for the RTE 70s ad where a group of men were in a pub merrily drinking and giving out about the various costs of sending a child to school?

The message being they were spending too much dosh in the pub.

Thanks

Reeling In The Years 1975. Starts at 22:21

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Chauncey Gardner

Many thanks. Fran and the Miamis' as well, I remember hearing the news on the radio the following morning. How desperately sad.

• Advertisement

Reeling In The Years 1975. Starts at 22:21

That's basically the future cast of terrible RTE prison drama, Inside which was screened ten years after this.

Also reiterates something I mentioned before in this thread, that RTE do have access to 1970's pifs but only bother to make them accessible when it suits them.

Wonder is this the infamous one with the nun shouting into the kids ear? Trinity might have it in their archives.

https://www.tcd.ie/irishfilm/showfilm.php?fid=37853

The date sounds right (1980)

I started 3rd class in September 1980 and shouting "BA" at people was all the rage until around 1984.

Be great to see it on TV again and people starting re-doing it.

I presume the Health Promotion Unit, who were behind both of these were the direct replacement for the Health Education Bureau? They must have had a lower budget to work with. The two pifs here are very short and kind of cheap looking and also they don't have a distinctive logo design like the HEB swirling symbol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Blue850

Anyone remember one from the late 70s, early 80s about speeding in built up areas I think, it featured an old lady trying to cross the road, and nearly getting knocked down, when she couldn't judge the speed of approaching traffic.

Blue850 wrote: »
    Anyone remember one from the late 70s, early 80s about speeding in built up areas I think, it featured an old lady trying to cross the road, and nearly getting knocked down, when she couldn't judge the speed of approaching traffic.

I remember one for St V de P. An old woman named Mary had one of those ubiquitous scarves that auld ones wore. She was trying to cross a busy road and the traffic was freaking her out.

The narrator said "Mary is 70...."

Give a little. It could help a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Blue850

I remember one for St V de P. An old woman named Mary had one of those ubiquitous scarves that auld ones wore. She was trying to cross a busy road and the traffic was freaking her out.

The narrator said "Mary is 70...."

Give a little. It could help a lot.
    That's it, couldn't remember the SVdP, just the look of fear on her face.

I remember that now. Was there a series of them?

I remember that now. Was there a series of them?

I remember another one for the St V de P with an old man called Gus. Similar theme.

• Advertisement

I remember another one for the St V de P with an old man called Gus. Similar theme.

I'm sure I saw that one, or one very like it on a compilation of Irish 1980's ads on YT some time back.

Advertisement