Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cost of grommets privately

• 03-12-2018 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

My 3 year old son needs grommets and has been on the public list for them for 18 months and no sign of a consultation even. He can't talk, he only babbles, time is moving quickly and at this rate he won't be starting school when he's the age as he's so far back with speech delay.
    I'm looking to pay for the procedure to be done privately as we have no medical card anyway.
    Does anyone know the cost of this procedure to get it done

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

MOD: Moved to Health Sciences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

When you're on a public waiting list it doesn't matter if you have a medical card or not. Same queue.

Why don't you use the cross bokrder treatment scheme? Bring hi m to Belfast. Quick before brexit comes.

Every time this questions comes up I give the same answer. It should be put on a sticky so I can stop rerpeayjng myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

Wesser wrote: »
    When you're on a public waiting list it doesn't matter if you have a medical card or not. Same queue.

Why don't you use the cross bokrder treatment scheme? Bring hi m to Belfast. Quick before brexit comes.

Every time this questions comes up I give the same answer. It should be put on a sticky so I can stop rerpeayjng myself.

Yep we’ve just gotten a referral letter off our gp for our 5 year old who needs grommets and the hospital up north we rang says to send on up the letter so they can make an appointment for him, don’t know the price yet but if it’s expensive a credit union loan will do till the hse reimburse us

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭ZeroCool17

how.gareth wrote: »
    Yep we’ve just gotten a referral letter off our gp for our 5 year old who needs grommets and the hospital up north we rang says to send on up the letter so they can make an appointment for him, don’t know the price yet but if it’s expensive a credit union loan will do till the hse reimburse us

Hi, Just wondering if you got this done how much it cost in the end? My partners son needs to get it done. Would love to know the price up north.

ZeroCool17 wrote: »
    Hi, Just wondering if you got this done how much it cost in the end? My partners son needs to get it done. Would love to know the price up north.

It wasn’t cheap! We used the north western hospital and it was around €2000, that included the initial consultation and the surgery itself and a post op hearing test in 6 months, we’ve sent off all the forms to the hse for the cross border scheme but we are terrified as to how much we will receive back to be honest as they only pay whatever the average cost is in the Republic and I’ve heard it only costs around €600 but I’m hoping that’s not true!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

We got it done on my son when he was around that age in the Blackrock Clinic in Dublin. I'd have to dig the receipts out but I think it was in the region of €300 all in.

fixxxer wrote: »
    We got it done on my son when he was around that age in the Blackrock Clinic in Dublin. I'd have to dig the receipts out but I think it was in the region of €300 all in.

Jesus that’s the worst news possible! We didn’t even price it down here, just rushed into borrowing money and getting it done up north cause his hearing was so bad

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Found two separate receipts, one for €193 and another for €379. I think we had to pay separately. I've asked my wife to check for details.

For what it's worth, you're completely right to do it as quickly as possible. The difference to my son after the operation was night and day. Almost straight away his speech started improving and his attention was better as he could actually hear people trying to speak to him. The Consultant described his hearing before the operation as like someone trying to hear through water. He also need ed a second set a few years later once he grew up a bit and the old grommets fell out.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭ZeroCool17

how.gareth wrote: »
    It wasn’t cheap! We used the north western hospital and it was around €2000, that included the initial consultation and the surgery itself and a post op hearing test in 6 months, we’ve sent off all the forms to the hse for the cross border scheme but we are terrified as to how much we will receive back to be honest as they only pay whatever the average cost is in the Republic and I’ve heard it only costs around €600 but I’m hoping that’s not true!

Wowser!!! A lot more than i expected. Her son is 12 and it's very unusual to get glue ear at this age. He's missing a lot if school because it's so bad and we'd like to sort if before he starts secondary school in September.

We'll have to price around so. No way we could afford that. Thanks a million for replying to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭horse7

What is the procedure called, I'm looking for grommets on the black rock clinic site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭cobham

A myringotomy is a procedure to create a hole in the ear drum to allow fluid that is trapped in the middle ear to drain out. The fluid may be blood, pus and/or water. In many cases, a small tube is inserted into the hole in the ear drum to help maintain drainage.

I just had it done on self and am an auld one.... VHI and Beacon but not a success :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭horse7

How does one find out the Dublin hospitals that do this procedure privately and cost for same?

Perhaps get a list of ENT surgeons and contact their secretaries?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 scoops22

We're just going through this at the moment with a 4 year old and no private health cover.

Our costs for peoples information: Hearing test €150, Consultant €200, surgery prices at €1700 in the Matter Hospital.

Beacon Hospital Dublin

Consultant visit 250 euro prior

Hospital charge for day ward 1110 euro

Surgeon 677 euro

Anaesthesia 301 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

You could also try the hermitage. My son is under Brendan Conlon.

He ended up diagnosed with a cholesteoma. The ear drum was growing into the ear. After a few surgeries and he got sorted.

Also got a grommet in the other ear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 thehealthreviews8

Thank you for sharing this information with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 clyn

Hi. Can I ask who your consultant is? We've just been quoted €3300 for the mater private for Dr. Kieran. For grommets day surgery for our 4 year old son.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ngalkk

Hello , can anyone share recent experiences of cross border treatment and hse refunds for Grommets. Is it worth travelling in terms of price comparison for private treatment in republic? Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ngalkk

Hello just wondering if you could share your experience of receiving refund for cross border scheme as I am exploring that as option for my little girl . Thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 mel3737

Hi , I'm just enquiring have you found out anymore on this cross border scheme , as I'm also exploring this option for my lil girl that needs grommets but it's not very clear what hse will reimburse. Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 1 louisenicolet

Does any one know how much it costs for grommets and adenoid removal done on the same day as a day case surgery would cost?. My son has his operation coming up and we having problems with the insurance as they might not cover it as they saying it is pre existing condition so we might have to pay but not been told how much it will cost

• Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I assume you didn't have him insured from birth!

Advertisement