Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite True Crime Stories

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

https://www.oprahmag.com/entertainment/g23366757/best-true-crime-podcasts-2018/

Oprahs top 5 True Crime pocasts. I've listened to Dr Death and am currently on episode 36 of The Vanished. Definitely going to finish that list :)

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭uncommon_name

rawn wrote: »
    https://www.oprahmag.com/entertainment/g23366757/best-true-crime-podcasts-2018/

Oprahs top 5 True Crime pocasts. I've listened to Dr Death and am currently on episode 36 of The Vanished. Definitely going to finish that list :)

I have listened to most of these, all well worth listening to.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Lady Spangles

The 'Still at Large' podcast is rapidly becoming a personal favourite of mine. It's a UK based one and, true to its title, only covers unsolved cases. Honestly, it's scary just how many unsolved murders there are. But if you're into unsolved cases and web sleuthing/disappearing down rabbit holes etc, it's great.

The 'Still at Large' podcast is rapidly becoming a personal favourite of mine. It's a UK based one and, true to its title, only covers unsolved cases. Honestly, it's scary just how many unsolved murders there are. But if you're into unsolved cases and web sleuthing/disappearing down rabbit holes etc, it's great.

I have heard this being advertised in other podcasts I have listened to, never got around to looking it up at all. Th ad's don't make it sound very interesting. But I know a few people that like it. I may add it to the list.

I am getting to the end of Dr. Death. Its a bloody mental story and well worth listening to.
    I love stories like this, I hate that they happened though.

• Advertisement

'Sword and Scale' and 'Generation Why' are good although the two guys who present Generation Why can be a bit irritating. I like Casefile too, - I think it's my favourite at the moment.
    I started off listening to Serial and got hooked on true crime podcasts after that, although I didn't enjoy the 2nd and 3rd series of Serial as much as the first.
    They walk among us (UK) is excellent too, - I like that it's not American material.
    It's great to get all the suggestions here!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭Suckler

Listening to Gladiator: Aaron Hernandez and football. Really interesting and well produced. Yes he was an athlete but its not a sports story, goes in to his life before fame and how he ended up in jail.

I am currently listening to Serial season 3. I am quite dissapointed. There doesn't seem to be any resolution to any of the stories and too many different stories being thrown around. Some stories sound similar but are not interlinked at all. Quite confusing at times.
    Compared to season 1 and 2, 3 is rubbish. Serial is what got me in to true crime podcasts.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I am currently listening to Serial season 3. I am quite dissapointed. There doesn't seem to be any resolution to any of the stories and too many different stories being thrown around. Some stories sound similar but are not interlinked at all. Quite confusing at times.
    Compared to season 1 and 2, 3 is rubbish. Serial is what got me in to true crime podcasts.
    I don't think it's about the stories themselves, just the corruption around them.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I don't think it's about the stories themselves, just the corruption around them.

Yeah that is probably the angle they are taking with this season, however they get you interested in the case and then don't go in to what happened in the end. Maybe they will do updates in the future, but they don't tell us they will.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I have a feeling the last episode will be some sort of wrap up

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Dirty John is a great podcast, I think I read somewhere that Netflix have picked up the story for a drama series.

I also love Real Crime Profile podcast. It’s three hosts who sit and have a chat about anything topical in the world of crime and the most notorious cases. The hosts are a former FBI and criminal profiler, a casting director for Criminal Minds, and another woman who is former New Scotland Yard who now runs her own stalking advocacy service. So they’re all very well informed and aren’t just a few douchebags sitting around making murder jokes (cough True Crime Garage) Those are my favourite kinds of podcasts, where you already know the story so you’re kind of just listening in on their opinions and theories. They’ve done MAM, OJ, Amanda Knox, The Staircase..
    Worth a listen.

Also just finished West Cork. I know we’re not allowed to discuss that here so all I can say is, wow :pac:

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I have a feeling the last episode will be some sort of wrap up

I hope so, it really needs to wrap all the stories up. I just wish they would tell us they plan on doing that.

Dirty John is a great podcast, I think I read somewhere that Netflix have picked up the story for a drama series.

I also love Real Crime Profile podcast. It’s three hosts who sit and have a chat about anything topical in the world of crime and the most notorious cases. The hosts are a former FBI and criminal profiler, a casting director for Criminal Minds, and another woman who is former New Scotland Yard who now runs her own stalking advocacy service. So they’re all very well informed and aren’t just a few douchebags sitting around making murder jokes (cough True Crime Garage) Those are my favourite kinds of podcasts, where you already know the story so you’re kind of just listening in on their opinions and theories. They’ve done MAM, OJ, Amanda Knox, The Staircase..
    Worth a listen.

Also just finished West Cork. I know we’re not allowed to discuss that here so all I can say is, wow :pac:

Dirty John is very good, it would be great if it was picked up on Netflix. Such a good story.
    Real Crime Profile for some reason has never caught me. I always get bored or it. But so many people love it, maybe I just havent listened to enough of it yet.

I hear West Cork is brilliant, I must listen to that soon. Cant find it on any of the podcast sites I use. Where did you listen to it?

Dirty John is very good, it would be great if it was picked up on Netflix. Such a good story.
    Real Crime Profile for some reason has never caught me. I always get bored or it. But so many people love it, maybe I just havent listened to enough of it yet.

I hear West Cork is brilliant, I must listen to that soon. Cant find it on any of the podcast sites I use. Where did you listen to it?

Yeah you either love it or you don’t. I know some who can’t stand listening to them waffling on but I like hearing their professional insights. I think their earlier stuff was the best, I’m starting to find them a bit lazy and a little inaccurate about some details in their recent ones. (Silly things like getting the name of a spouse wrong or in the Staircase calling the woman who died in Germany Michael’s ex wife. Minor details but slightly irritating! :pac: )

I listened to West Cork on audible. I think it’s exclusive to that. You can sign up for a free 30 day trial and just cancel after that.

Yeah you either love it or you don’t. I know some who can’t stand listening to them waffling on but I like hearing their professional insights. I think their earlier stuff was the best, I’m starting to find them a bit lazy and a little inaccurate about some details in their recent ones. (Silly things like getting the name of a spouse wrong or in the Staircase calling the woman who died in Germany Michael’s ex wife. Minor details but slightly irritating! :pac: )

I listened to West Cork on audible. I think it’s exclusive to that. You can sign up for a free 30 day trial and just cancel after that.

Ah perfect, that is obviously why I cant find it. I will do that so, knowing me I will have it listened to in a day or 2.

I've signed up for Audible and "purchased" West Cork, but for the life of me I cant get it to appear in my itunes. I've downloaded the audible download manager for PC (Windows 10) and followed all the instructions but it seems to go around in circles. It seems to imply that West Cork will automatically appear in my library. But it's not there. Has anyone else found the Audible site confusing....or is it just me?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,574 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

inthehat wrote: »
    I've signed up for Audible and "purchased" West Cork, but for the life of me I cant get it to appear in my itunes. I've downloaded the audible download manager for PC (Windows 10) and followed all the instructions but it seems to go around in circles. It seems to imply that West Cork will automatically appear in my library. But it's not there. Has anyone else found the Audible site confusing....or is it just me?

Why are you using iTunes?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Why are you using iTunes?

Because I can transfer from itunes to my ipod, - that's how I listen to all my podcasts. I find my (android) phone too big and awkward.
    The Audible site has instructions for downloading via itunes but it just doesn't seem to be working for me.

inthehat wrote: »
    Because I can transfer from itunes to my ipod, - that's how I listen to all my podcasts. I find my (android) phone too big and awkward.
    The Audible site has instructions for downloading via itunes but it just doesn't seem to be working for me.

I'm sorted! Looking forward to listening to it now :)

• Advertisement

Listening to Dirty John at the moment; really struggling to have any sympathy for Debra Newell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Suckler wrote: »

Listening to Dirty John at the moment; really struggling to have any sympathy for Debra Newell.

I felt the same. It's hard to see how anyone could be so weak and gullible but you'd be surprised at how much you can miss the glaring signs when you're so in love!

For such a smart woman she made a lot of daft decisions. But I prefer to view her behaviour as a judgement on how professionally manipulative he was, over how stupid she was.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Up and vanished season 1. Very interesting.

irishgeo wrote: »
    Up and vanished season 1. Very interesting.

Yes, U&V season 1 and 2 are brilliant. I am currently up to date on season 2. One of the best podcasts out there.

See they are bringing out a TV show on the Tara Grinstead case. It will probably recap the podcast but then it will continue on further than the podcast. I am really looking forward to it.

For such a smart woman she made a lot of daft decisions. But I prefer to view her behaviour as a judgement on how professionally manipulative he was, over how stupid she was.

At first yes, but she had multiple glaring reasons and opportunities to get rid of him. You can only do so much for some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,574 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

At first yes, but she had multiple glaring reasons and opportunities to get rid of him. You can only do so much for some people.

Do we know if Netflix are doing a documentary on dirty John or is it the TV show?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I need to get a Sugar Momma. You can call me Manky Mysterio (like John but with more slobbishness and less manipulating/ attempted murder).

Do we know if Netflix are doing a documentary on dirty John or is it the TV show?

Christ, I hope neither.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Not a podcast but a long read from Wired telling the story of the silk road...

https://www.wired.com/2015/04/silk-road-1/

Read that today.
    Very interesting..thanks

Advertisement