Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Insurance / no claims - towing a camper van

• 12-11-2018 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭

I have an issue, my camper has broken down, I am insured through AXA - Dolmen, Does anyone know does invoking breakdown assist affect my no claims discount ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

6541 wrote: »
    I have an issue, my camper has broken down, I am insured through AXA - Dolmen, Does anyone know does invoking breakdown assist affect my no claims discount ?

If it has breakdown then it does not affect your no claims.

Breakdown is their as a sweetner to the payment for policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭6541

Thanks so much.

Out of interest what how does this work - insurance firms must be loosing millions on this, what is the back story here ?

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

6541 wrote: »
    Out of interest what how does this work - insurance firms must be loosing millions on this, what is the back story here ?

Typically only covers towing you to the nearest garage, how often do you actually use it. Ive had breakdown cover on 2 vehicles for 6 years and camper and 2 vehicles for the next 12 years and used it twice. Based on estimated retail cost of €180 for one recovery and €120 for the other the average cost over time to the insurers was €6.25 per year and they probably pay significantly less than the retail cost and can probably write it off against tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,855 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You still need to inform the insurance companies when renewing that you made a claim for recovery, I've had a few windscreens replaced and they came up on the renewal letters, but as said they don't have any affect, it's just to make sure if you do need to make a bigger claim they don't have an easy get out clause.

Breakdown cover is now a cost option on most policies, I checked for 3 different people this year and most companies had it as an extra, but still cheaper than the AA/RAC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭clionaricho

They will tow you something like 50 miles. This does not affect your no claims
    Plenty of experience :confused::confused:

They will tow you something like 50 miles. This does not affect your no claims
    Plenty of experience :confused::confused:

Lol !

Advertisement