Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Civil Engineering

Options
  • 28-04-2018 3:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭

Hello!

Question - which undergraduate institutions in Ireland are best for Civil Engineering? My son is interested and while we have some years before Uni yet, I'd like a provisional look at the options. (Germany is also a possibility, but of course that's more tricky logistically).

We are in Limerick, and I know that UL and LIT do it, but the question is the level... Which ones are considered really good, across the entire country?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

From my experience (NUIG circa 2004) wasnt great. Excellent college for life experience but course was light on practical work.

We had a large group of people transfer into our course from the ITs to do the final 2 years of their degree with us (continuation of higher certificates in the ITs) and immediately you could see they were well ahead of us in terms of knowledge. Maybe this would be a good option.

Nuig has built a massive Enginnering building so maybe this has improved. They also have undenominated enginnering so you do a broad range of Enginnering sujects in year 1and choose your stream (civil, mech, biomed etc) in year 2.

Also most ITs now have full degree courses.

I would bear in mind that Civil Eng is a tough life. It doesnt hold the esteem of the financial, legal or IT sectors despite the quality of graduate that would get an Hons Degree. It is something Enginneers Ireland are working on promoting however as such, wages in Ireland often cannot compete with other sectors. As a career, I love it but I could not say I am paid on par with other sectors for my experience and the level of work involved, especially if you want to stay in Ireland.

When its good, its good but when its bad Enginnering companies and consultancies are ruthless so he should note that if he wants to earn proper money he would have to be prepared to follow the work (ie) globally!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭dfader

ITSligo have a great reputation for Civil Engineering. They're honors degree is accredited by Engineers Ireland for chartered membership which is fundamentally important in Engineering, particularly Civil. There are other non accredited Civil courses in the country that may have easier entry requirements but in the long run would make progression very difficult in a company. Also their graduates are highly sought after.

Civil is a good and very rewarding career if you're prapared to be flexible and move into whatever aspect of the industry has work. Civil in sligo has a good history with water. Lots of work in that area at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Athlone IT has a great practical course also a new engineering building with new labs and equipment. It also has a follow on masters programme if required (which is if you want to be a chartered Civil engineering).

The University courses are more theory based, I.T.'s may not seem as "sexy" as Universities but when it comes to the practical side the I.T.'s win out, also I find the I.T's have a better support structure for students.

I say this as a former A.I.T. and UCD student

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭bennyineire

dfader wrote: »
    ITSligo have a great reputation for Civil Engineering. They're honors degree is accredited by Engineers Ireland for chartered membership which is fundamentally important in Engineering, particularly Civil. There are other non accredited Civil courses in the country that may have easier entry requirements but in the long run would make progression very difficult in a company. Also their graduates are highly sought after.

Civil is a good and very rewarding career if you're prapared to be flexible and move into whatever aspect of the industry has work. Civil in sligo has a good history with water. Lots of work in that area at the moment

Do you not require a Master's now if you want to be a Chartered Engineer ?

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭MichaelR

Well people here write that one should be prepared to follow the work globally. Would something like an IT Sligo degree work in places like Germany?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

There's a reciprocal agreement between Engineers Ireland and many of the worldwide engineering bodies with regards to recognition. It's called the Washington Accord. Link below:

http://www.ieagreements.org/accords/washington/

This is one of the reasons why it's vital to choose a course that has the appropriate recognition with Engineers Ireland.

Aha - so even if they never heard of IT Sligo but he becomes an accredited member of Engineers Ireland this works internationally.

Then it becomes critical to understand which courses provide a path to accredited membership? I found this: http://www.engineersireland.ie/Services/Accredited-Courses/All-Programmes.aspx , it has Sligo courses as well as both Limerick institutions, but all of them are just up to 2018?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭dfader

Do you not require a Master's now if you want to be a Chartered Engineer ?

Benny,
    Yes, but if you do an honors degree that's accredited by EI as on the path for chartered membership then your level 9 masters can be unaccredited like project management or something and it's a lot easier become chartered.
    Chartered membership is fundamental in Civil. You cannot practice independently and certify works without it.

Also it's internationally recognised so yes it would mean your degree is recognised in Germany and everywhere else around the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

MichaelR wrote: »
    Aha - so even if they never heard of IT Sligo but he becomes an accredited member of Engineers Ireland this works internationally.

Then it becomes critical to understand which courses provide a path to accredited membership? I found this: http://www.engineersireland.ie/Services/Accredited-Courses/All-Programmes.aspx , it has Sligo courses as well as both Limerick institutions, but all of them are just up to 2018?

That lists all accreditations that Engineers Ireland give out. They accredit different courses to different levels so you need to understand Cert Vs Diploma Vs Pass Degree Vs Honours Degree and how each pertains to both chartership and the various international agreements. The courses have to be accredited on a regular basis (every X years) so 2018 may be a review year for some of the listed courses.

As per the above it would be very advisable to select a route that can lead to Chartered Engineer status in the long run. The rules have changed substantially on this in recent years and I'm not up to date with them so I'm no help there.

Thanks! So the idea is, in his final Secondary year, if he still wants Civil Engineering or any other Engineering, we need to give a call or email to Engineering Ireland and ask which undergraduate courses in his chosen form of Engineering are accredited to Chartered Engineer level in Limerick and a few other selected places?

Probably no need to decipher the details of current rules as they might change again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 sk777

Tell him not to do civil engineering. Awful career. NUIG is best in your area though.

sk777 wrote: »
    Tell him not to do civil engineering. Awful career. NUIG is best in your area though.

What's wrong with civil engineering?

In comparison to other careers it is more difficult and far worse paid. For example, newly qualified accountants earn around 65k. It will take you 15 years to get to that as a civil engineer. Also, that accountant will have benefits such as health insurance, pension, etc. You will receive none as an engineer. It is a very precarious career too. Not to mention how much it consumes your life in college when other students are partying.

I don't think he is very interested in accounting, though, and I don't think he'd make a good one. He likes material working things, which is why he is looking at civil or mechanical engineering. Are there any better-paying careers around this kind of stuff?

If he likes materials, etc. then maybe he would like engineering. Civil focuses more on materials than mechanical, electrical or computer engineering. Geotechnical engineering may be of interest to him. NUIG are strong in this area. From your post he may also be interested in civil engineering on the contractor (site) side, in which case any civil engineering degree would be suitable, and regarding where he gets the qualification, NUIG is generally considered the best for engineering on the west side, although it doesnt matter much where he receives his degree. I work in engineering and wouldnt place much importance on where someone received his or her degree.

If he has not done transition year yet I would suggest work exxperience in one of these to see if he likes it. It would be difficult for him to get site experience. The paperwork and workload usually suck the enthusiasm out of engineers!

Advertisement