Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sky Reps asking for passwords

• 31-10-2018 6:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭

There's a thread over in the Sky forum where the reps apparently ask you for your password. https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057924392

Am I missing some thing? I'd always thought passwords would never be stored as is, but always hashed. maybe with salt.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

There are two 'passwords' on a Sky account. Your password for logging in to your account, e.g. R4ndom$tring0fL3tt3rs, and a customer support password, which is more like a codeword, e.g. place, thing, mother's birth name, things like that

I'm assuming the rep was looking for the latter, not the former

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Huntline

tricky D wrote: »
    There's a thread over in the Sky forum where the reps apparently ask you for your password. https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057924392

Am I missing some thing? I'd always thought passwords would never be stored as is, but always hashed. maybe with salt.

You already got your answer in the other thread. Why bother making a new one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Huntline wrote: »
    You already got your answer in the other thread. Why bother making a new one?
    That answer was after I started this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

tricky D wrote: »
    That answer was after I started this.

It wasn't :pac:

Advertisement