Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Childminding

Options
  • 30-09-2018 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi, a friend of a friend wants me to mind her three and a half year old for 3-4 days a week at 45€ a day. I have to collect him at 12 from preschool which is about a 25-30 minutes round trip. I asked her to pay me on monday for the week and also confirm on saturday or sunday about her schedule for the week, since last week (the first week of minding), her schedule changed everyday. Firstly, on monday morning she asked me that she will collect him at 6:15, then messaged that she will be two hours late and her friend will collect him. On wednesday, i kept him again till 8:30. On thursday morning, she told me at 9 that she is off today and will need minding till 8:30 on friday. i’m not a registered childminder, just a stay at home mom with a degree in medicine from outside EU, studying for some exams and both my little ones are in school till 2:30. I have a full clean driving license and EU passport.
    So basically, when i requested these two things, she got really angry that I’m asking advance payment and also that she is a nurse so her schedule is uncertain. Its not cooperative of me to ask for the whole week’s schedule. She would rather prefer someone more flexible.
    So i’m at a loss of words. A little cash in hand was really helpful and needed and her little boy is lovely, thought boisterous as expected of his age. Should i apologise to her now or let her go?
    Sorry for the long post. Please advise. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

She should have a roster at work so should have some idea of her schedule in the week/s ahead.
    I dont understand you being paid in advance its not usually like that.
    Plus if the hours are longer you will need to be paid more.

If you want to continue to do this id suggest drawing up a contract with her. Have her state the hours rate and exactly whats expected.
    Its not fair of her to expect you to cobstantly change your day to suit her.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Serra

Oh so maybe thats y she got so angry at my suggestion that she pay on monday for the week. (I feed the child everything from milk, fruit to lunch and dinner and he is a big eater which i’m certainly glad for but just telling for info).
    For some reason she says being a nurse at victoria ear and eye hospital, her job has no confirmed hours and on her way to train station in morning, she got a text that she is off today, hence she told me and that i should be flexible for these things 🀷*♀️

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

It's not acceptable that she gives you such short notice of late collection. What happens if you had planned to go somewhere and she rings that day to say she'll be late? Personally I could not mind kids under these circumstances. It's not unreasonable to expect to know what days and what hours you are needed for the week in advance. Payment in advance is probably not common though and if you ended up keeping the child later than expected she'd still owe you for the extra time. I'd be inclined to let her find someone more flexible. Surely late collection impacts you own children's schedule which I'm sure isn't ideal.

Thankyou so much. I’m relieved i can discuss it here. Actually i didn’t ask for advance payment the first week but i got insecure after constant changed in schedule that if she leaves me in the cold after i’ve drove about 30 min to bring her kid home from preschool and fed him all his meals, I’ll be miserable.
    You are right about the schedule. My youngest’s bed time has been pushed to 9 from 7:30 because her child is collected around 8:30 unscheduled. God knows when that poor child himself goes to bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

I think you are best to find another family to mind for if you wish to continue minding kids. You may be lucky to find children in your own children's school who would be collected at the same time each evening. At the end of the day the loose arrangement you have with your friend could well end up causing more resentment as time goes on and affecting your friendship.

• Advertisement

Thankyou. Yes i think this would be for the best, and she isn’t a friend. A sort of acquaintence to a friend of mine is more like it, and you are right, better to leave it here. Its not going to benefit anyone, least of all that little boy if his mum and I don’t get along well. It’s just sad because I had worked so hard to get him to settle here and i promised her I’d look after him like one of mine and i did, and the boy responded so well, like all kids do to love and attention and structure.
    Anyways, no point in all that now. I’ll just let him and her go.

Thankyou. Yes i think this would be for the best, and she isn’t a friend. A sort of acquaintence to a friend of mine is more like it, and you are right, better to leave it here. Its not going to benefit anyone, least of all that little boy if his mum and I don’t get along well. It’s just sad because I had worked so hard to get him to settle here and i promised her I’d look after him like one of mine and i did, and the boy responded so well, like all kids do to love and attention and structure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 uccstudentmom

Serra wrote: »

Yes if it was me I would let her go, I worked as a childminder for five years and would get a roster of my hours every 3 months and I would never have him outside of these days. She would sometimes take a day off work but would tell me as soon as she knew. It was honestly a great experience and we really clicked with each other and still remain friends so what I would say is maybe let this family go but try again maybe for a child that goes to the same school as your children that way you're able to study during the morning!

Advertisement