Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A sad day for pike in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭rtc

Against all the scientific evidence and surveys the IFI have done , i cant believe this has passed , just so a politician in galway can win a few votes. 25% of the freshwater in ireland will be a free for all ,for the killing of pike and now they can do it legally although it never bothered poachers doing it illegally I suppose. Irelands is extremely backwards, when it comes to the protection and management of our waterways.

http://fishinginireland.info/news/trout-reports/designated-salmonid-waters-bye-law-comes-into-operation/?fbclid=IwAR1BXuu72XVDFJ6Z_LPcKqTKyDj5ugfmq5lrL3rqpORaL-yDiqYujAvZKvE

This is a prime example of politicians doing what politicians do.It's all about votes and the party and f**k all else matters to them.This is just plain wrong and makes absolutely no sense what so ever.The Irish Pike Society have a template to communicate opposition to this.Check it out lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

I thought this was going to be another Peter Casey thread :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I thought this was going to be another Peter Casey thread :pac:

Different type of Pike....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

High Court battle looming, however funding is required.
    Please help Irish Pike Society to fight this stupid bye law by donating what ever you can. https://www.gofundme.com/fight-against-anti-pike-legislation

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭DanMurphy

Different type of Pike....

The Pikey thread is thataway :D

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭bluezulu49

Not only was the bye law declared to be annulled but the Appellants; Irish Pike Society, The Irish Federation of Pike Angling Clubs and Ian Forde; were granted their taxed costs.

It appears however that the declaration was by consent. I fear for what will be concocted next.

The mainstream media have been strangely silent on this matter. I would have thought that having a bye law struck down as a result of a legal challenge would be newsworthy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

bluezulu49 wrote: »
    Not only was the bye law declared to be annulled but the Appellants; Irish Pike Society, The Irish Federation of Pike Angling Clubs and Ian Forde; were granted their taxed costs.

It appears however that the declaration was by consent. I fear for what will be concocted next.

The mainstream media have been strangely silent on this matter. I would have thought that having a bye law struck down as a result of a legal challenge would be newsworthy.

Will be interesting to read the judgement. Although it appears the action was not defended and therefore won by default, I'll be interested to see what the grounds for appeal were. Not sure the dept will want to come back with something else - Kyne is gone now so the local pressure is off. As for the media, it's a small angling byelaw - not much mainstream interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭bluezulu49

Zzippy wrote: »
    Will be interesting to read the judgement.

Attached.

bluezulu49 wrote: »
    Attached.

I've seen that but hope they publish a full judgement, that gives no details of the grounds on which the case was taken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Zzippy wrote: »
    I've seen that but hope they publish a full judgement, that gives no details of the grounds on which the case was taken.

The state backed down and agreed to it.

The state backed down and agreed to it.

I'm aware of that, but interested to know on what legal grounds the case was taken e.g. was the byelaw incompatible with some other legislation, did the minister overstep his powers, was the public consultation process not conducted in accordance with legislation. The state obviously accepted they had no case, but some people would be interested to know what the appeal grounds were.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Flysfisher

Cant understand the problem here its only a few lakes that they are controlling pike on.

Flysfisher wrote: »
    Cant understand the problem here its only a few lakes that they are controlling pike on.

Before I start, I'm not looking for an argument. Also, I'm from the west of Ireland, and I fish Corrib/Mask for both pike and trout throughout the year.

The main problem is that the science has shown that the pike in the 7 lakes are feeding mainly on Roach rather than Trout, meaning that the pike culls on these large loughs are pointless.
    https://www.fisheriesireland.ie/Research-and-Development/pike-research-programme.html

Also, those 7 lakes, account for something like 26% of the total freshwater in Ireland.

This issue goes much deeper than just killing pike. It has become a Dublin V West issue for some anti-pike people in the west, and anybody that doesn't agree with that is fooling themselves. Over the years the Irish Pike Society and IFPAC have been campaigning to end the gill netting of pike. Some guys with very loud voices in the west are not happy with people they view as outsiders trying to remove the pike control, in what they incorrectly view as "their" lakes. The fact of the matter is, some of those "anti pike" people would love to ban all pike anglers from "their" lakes. I'm talking about a small minority here, but they have lots of clubs, TDs and Media outlets wrapped around their little finger. Also to point out, the lakes are state owned.

The same people simply choose to ignore all the science that goes against their argument, including all the scientific papers produced on Pike in Ireland over the last few years, stating that they are native, and how their diets have changed since the explosion of Roach. Instead they choose to give examples of where Pike are indeed invasive, like in Wisconsin in the United States, and try to imply that the same pike extraction methods are required on "their" lakes. I must hand it to them, they really have the propaganda machine in full flow, with their signs at the side of the road, blocking all people on social media that asks valid questions, getting lots of air time on local radio, and local news papers.

The whole situation is just toxic, to the point where a new club set up this year in the west, that tried to unite anglers (trout and pike) was slated by these same anti pike people! The club offered to raise money for stream enhancement, and they were accused of fraud as a result. This wasn't just limited to facebook posts, a local newspaper even wrote an article warning people about this new club!

The real threat to salmonids are water quality, invasive species (such as Lagarosiphon major, zebras, asian clams, dace...), and the quality of the spawning streams. The sad part is that if all anglers were able to get along, there would be no shortage of man power to help remove Lagarosiphon major on corrib and help enhance the spawning grounds every year. Instead, the whole "Pike are Predators" campaign has created a divide that may never bridged, due to some of the toxic posts on social media on BOTH sides of the argument, including IPS, and TAFI. Some of the posts from TAFI in particular are shocking, considering the amount of anglers they represent. Lots of foul language and name calling, just look at posts from earlier than Aug 2018.

Some people may believe that the bye law getting thrown out is the end of this, this is not the case. Unless both sides are able to come to some sort of agreement, I really worry for the future of angling in Ireland.

Advertisement