Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skipping exams

• 12-09-2018 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭

Hi all

My daughter is in her 3rd year of fiddle/violin. She's 9 now so has one year of school based fiddle classes and then we moved so one year of more formal violin lessons. I've been very clear with the school that I wish to foster her lifelong love of music rather than do the grades exams. Is it OK to insist that we skip them. Am I missing something that exams would add to her experience. She's naturally musical but shy and would find exams stressful. I don't play an instrument. Opinions welcome :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

the grades are a good solid training scheme.

we all need to face exams and interviews in life, so its good experience, and the examiners aren't monsters!

Higher Grades also count (in UK anyway) towards UCAS university entrance points.

Between my 4 kids we have grade
    8 cello
    6 piano
    5 french horn
    5 piano x2
    3 piano
    1 piano
    1 flute

if she ever wants to play in a real orchestra, she'll need grades.

My son has had paid cello gigs (live and studio) and they ask what grade........

for fun, and folk, and sessions, not so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

the grades are a good solid training scheme.

we all need to face exams and interviews in life, so its good experience, and the examiners aren't monsters!

Higher Grades also count (in UK anyway) towards UCAS university entrance points.

Between my 4 kids we have grade
    8 cello
    6 piano
    5 french horn
    5 piano x2
    3 piano
    1 piano
    1 flute

if she ever wants to play in a real orchestra, she'll need grades.

My son has had paid cello gigs (live and studio) and they ask what grade........

for fun, and folk, and sessions, not so much!

We would be going down the fun folk sessions route. I was thinking she could practice for the exams but not take them until she is older and sure she wants to go that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Maybe she'd like to take the exams? Or at least give one a go, if she doesn't enjoy it at least she knows. She might love it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I would be of the opinion that exams are worthwhile but not at the expense of learning to actually play for fun. A balance in lessons really is invaluable. I'd just talk to her teacher, if its going to be a case that she wants her to just learn 3 pieces a year for the exam that may not appeal to you. If however she will be learning her favourite pop song as well as the exam material for example I'd consider it a better balance.

Personally I didn't start exams until age 13 in piano and started with grade 3, skipped to grade 5 and continued through to grade 8. I also learnt a ton of music I enjoyed to play, played for the school choir and a church group and am one of the only people who continued to play piano for life. I did the grade 1 through to 8 in singing and honestly it didn't do a huge amount for my confidence.

I would be of the opinion that exams are worthwhile but not at the expense of learning to actually play for fun. A balance in lessons really is invaluable. I'd just talk to her teacher, if its going to be a case that she wants her to just learn 3 pieces a year for the exam that may not appeal to you. If however she will be learning her favourite pop song as well as the exam material for example I'd consider it a better balance.

Personally I didn't start exams until age 13 in piano and started with grade 3, skipped to grade 5 and continued through to grade 8. I also learnt a ton of music I enjoyed to play, played for the school choir and a church group and am one of the only people who continued to play piano for life. I did the grade 1 through to 8 in singing and honestly it didn't do a huge amount for my confidence.

This resonates with me because all my peers who did music dropped it after grade 6, 7 8. The pressure got to them or something but they lost their love of playing. So sad! Age 13 sounds about right to begin exams but to be honest if she never does an exam I wouldn't care. If she can read music, play and tune her instrument and enjoy herself while doing so, what do I care? I know my child and currently she would be very stressed to be assessed on her musical ability /prowess. I have her in creative drama to help her shyness but as she matures and grows in confidence maybe exams will appeal to her at age 13 :) I will talk to her teacher but she's so young, maybe 21, she's a lovely baby!

• Advertisement

Grawns wrote: »
    This resonates with me because all my peers who did music dropped it after grade 6, 7 8. The pressure got to them or something but they lost their love of playing. So sad! Age 13 sounds about right to begin exams but to be honest if she never does an exam I wouldn't care. If she can read music, play and tune her instrument and enjoy herself while doing so, what do I care? I know my child and currently she would be very stressed to be assessed on her musical ability /prowess. I have her in creative drama to help her shyness but as she matures and grows in confidence maybe exams will appeal to her at age 13 :) I will talk to her teacher but she's so young, maybe 21, she's a lovely baby!

Definitely talk to her teacher, they are best placed to discuss their approach to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

Its never too late to do the exams, even as an adult.

My wife's maths teacher took up the piano at 50.

he was on grade 8 by the time he was retiring from teaching.

when he went for his grade 1 exam, he took his 14 yr old with him for moral support.

one of the other younger kids asked why the 14 yr old was only on grade 1...........

let the child decide, but like I said earlier, Id encourage it.

Grawns wrote: »

It’s a personal anecdote but if she’s anything like me and you can get her accompanying or playing in a group it will do more for her confidence than anything else. Learning that a mistake isn’t a big deal but keeping going and joining back in ASAP so it doesn’t become a big deal was one the things that really made it easier for me to be confident

It’s a personal anecdote but if she’s anything like me and you can get her accompanying or playing in a group it will do more for her confidence than anything else. Learning that a mistake isn’t a big deal but keeping going and joining back in ASAP so it doesn’t become a big deal was one the things that really made it easier for me to be confident

Good advice I will look into this. I've decided to ask her teacher to give her a couple of show off songs to. A Christmas one and a pop one. I'm going to say no to exams at the moment but I'm not saying neverðŸ˜. My prejudice against the exams probably stems from us having moved from a trad gaelscoil environment to classical accidently. (we moved house) I was very clear with the school that i wanted a trad emphasis but they don't seem to grasp this. I will have a good chat with the teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

As someone who has played guitar for 20 odd years and recently took up piano, I'd strongly encourage doing the exams.

It will give a great understanding of music theory and classical training is a huge advantage even if the intention is for fun.

I've learnt more about music in the last 5 months learning piano than I did in the previous 20 with the guitar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,221 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Just for clarity.

Grade exams are not required to play in any orchestra. Audition and preparation of set excerpts would be the usual route.

Thanks everyone. I don't see a music career for her unless that's what she wants. I certainly won't push it. I have tiger mum tendencies but the real tiger mum was a fascist to her children where music practice was involved. The kids were biting the piano in frustration! No playdate practice practice homework homework etc...

The school wanted her to do grade 3 without having done 1 or 2 so skipping not an issue. Next year she can skip grade 4 hopefully :)

Anyway I talked to the teacher explained our wishes and while still practicing classical pieces and reading music she is learning the Rattlin bog. She happily practices 15 to 20 mins 6 nights a week. Happy days.

Thought I'd resurrect this thread to give an update. Turning 14 and other than one theory exam in 2018 has done no exams so far but is starting on book /grade 5. We found a great trad teacher so her playing by ear is impressive (all group work) and she continued with classical too. Now we're talking about exams in the distant future. Still no pressure. We had to invest in a good violin and bow. €1500. And the cost of lessons over the years has certainly added up (thanks to grandparents needed here) but the confidence she has gained from music is immeasurable. She's also doing music in secondary school and acing every exam. Her Dad has bought her an electric guitar for her birthday and she's teaching him theory. So cute the pair of them. 😁

So skipping tbe exams has done no harm whatsoever IMHO

Advertisement