Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seeking Advice - Speaker System

• 28-05-2018 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am just looking for some advice/tips/recommendations for the following setup:

Multi-speaker system.
    All speakers must play the same music from a centrally controlled device that can be controlled by a smart phone - if possible!
    Wireless.
    Bluetooth or Wifi controlled from central device.
    4-6 speakers required.
    Budget isn't an issue, but not looking to spend ridiculous money.
    Decent quality speakers.
    Speakers would be set up in multiple rooms across two floors (ground and first).

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Villan11

Anyone any opinion on this?
    Looking for something similar for a friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Pepsie

You need to be a lot more specific about what you want a system to do;
    Mono or Stereo,
    How many rooms,
    Budget, etc, etc....

Pepsie wrote: »
    You need to be a lot more specific about what you want a system to do;
    Mono or Stereo,
    How many rooms,
    Budget, etc, etc....

Thanks Pepsie,

My mates project is 5 speakers, in three zones:
    One outdoor
    And two indoor pairs

Ideally would like to be able to control as much as possible remotely through smart phone. i.e. music streaming, radio station, which zones are on/off

Low budget job. Speakers are already purchased. Just need amp.

Budget about €250

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Pepsie

Hello Villan,
    It was suggested to you, to be very "SPECIFIC" about your requirements, which you were not, so assumptions have to be made here.
    OK, You say you need at total of; 5 speakers, in three zones + One outdoor zone + And two indoor pair zones.
    Label as follows:
    * Room 1: Five speakers - (5.1 Cinema).
    * Room 2: Five speakers - (5.1 Cinema).
    * Room 3: Five speakers - (5.1 Cinema).
    * Room 4: Two speakers - (Stereo sound).
    * Room 5: Two speakers - (Stereo sound).
    * Room 6: Outdoors: One speaker - (MONO sound).

This means that you require a total of 20 channels for the Amp or Amps to supply. (Or an Amp with 20 channels, which will be Mega expensive, plus of €3.5k).
    You say that you want the following;
    * 5.1 Cinema surround in Rooms 1, 2 & 3. (Purchasing 3 separate 5.1 Cinema surround Amps, one for each room & not linked or Zoned, would be the best option for 3 cinema rooms).
    * Stereo sound in Rooms 4 & 5.
    * MONO sound in Outdoor Room 6.

Multi channel Amps, are normally of the Stereo variety. They are not designed to provide a mix of; Stereo, Mono & 5.1 cinema out-puts.

Sorry, but in all frankness, a budget of €250 will only get you one decent Stereo Amp (2 channels).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Pepsie wrote: »
    Sorry, but in all frankness, a budget of €250 will only get you one decent Stereo Amp (2 channels).
    I agree.
    For that budget just throw a Google home mini in each room.

• Advertisement

Pepsie/Idleater,

My apologies! Clearly wasn't clear on what was required here.

The project is for one open plan room leading to garden. The total of all speakers is 5. i.e, one speaker outside, two in dining/kitchen area and two in seating area.

So let's say zone one = kitchen (2 speakers)
    Zone 2 = living area (2 speakers)
    Zone 3 = garden (1 speaker)

Ideally he wishes to be able to have some control over what zones are on/off. For example Zone 1 on, 2 & 3 off. Zone 1 & 3 on, 2 off...... etc.

I don't think there would be any issue with 3 mono zones, where the speakers in zones 1 & 2 produce the same mono output and not stereo in pair.

Apologies again and thanks,

Cian

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Many av receivers now have powered zone 2 and 3, something like https://www.uk.onkyo.com/en/products/tx-rz730-149155.html

No idea on price

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Paddy_Whack

I just received an Onkyo A-8420 Amp. The speakers l have connected to them are very basic. Without getting too complicated, could someone recommend a suitable set of speakers, or one main speaker, with a good level of base? 4Ohm or 8Ohm inputs. I removed a surround sound system to accommodate this but the sound is only 10% of the quality of the previous system. TIA!

Advertisement