Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

who do women dress for?

Options
  • 19-11-2018 5:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭

This beauty was in the letters section of D'Paper today (dont judge me, long day, very bored)

"It may come as some surprise, but women actually dont always dress to impress men, sorry guys, its not all about you"
    Eve, Dublin 8

Seeing as most men i know would describe their wife/girlfriend/partner etc. as having worn "something kinda black", or "a red dress thing", and if pushed wouldn't really care what she wore as long as she was happy and looked nice. I'm at a loss as to this presumption.

Only recently i discovered a skirt is actually different from a dress.

I always assumed women "dress" for themselves, make themselves look nice, for themselves.
    I certainly never assumed it was for a man.
    (If in the context of the Thong/rape thread , thats over there>>)

Have i got this arsëwisë?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

This beauty was in the letters section of D'Paper today (dont judge me, long day, very bored)

"It may come as some surprise, but women actually dont always dress to impress men, sorry guys, its not all about you"
    Eve, Dublin 8

Seeing as most men i know would describe their wife/girlfriend/partner etc. as having worn "something kinda black", or "a red dress thing", and if pushed wouldn't really care what she wore as long as she was happy and looked nice. I'm at a loss as to this presumption.

I always assumed women "dress" for themselves, make themselves look nice, for themselves.

I've read your post twice and still don't know what it's about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Women dress for other women.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,529 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I don't think so, Always thought women dress for themselves, wear what matches their mood. Thought it was the same with lads dressing to make themselves look good and feel good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Really?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I dress for myself. I wear what flatters me and is comfortable.
    When I'm getting dolled up for a night out I'll wear what makes me feel most confident - sometimes, that could be a face full of make up, a tiny little dress and high heels, and sometimes it might be a ponytail, jeans, boots and a warm comfy jumper.

What random men or women might think of my outfit would never enter into my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

To not be cold or not arrested for being naked?

As if all women are the same. Some for male attention some for other women, some couldn't give two ****s and just have to wear them outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,361 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Only sexy undies are worn for someone else to view and take off, the rest is about comfort unless its an occasion. I often envy men going to a wedding new shirt a nice tie and they are grand no more thinking about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

I can't relate to the "Women dress for other women" thing - do we? I also can't believe women who say they dress up for themselves exclusively. Of course the environment (including the people) has an influence on what they wear. This is why we don't wear our comfy leggings and hoodie on a night out.

Women do dress in a way to make ourselves feel good but part of this is other people thinking we look good. For me, those other people are men - and i don't see why this is something women feel they have to hide. Couldn't give a toss what women think though. Maybe women who are really into current fashion do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

A woman dresses up for herself 9/10 times. The one time she dresses up for her man is when they're going on a date. There is nothing wrong with this, Eve. Get over yourself and stop being a <beep> by implying men explicitly expect women to dress up for them all the time.

That being said, I don't mind it when women do dress up for men. It's often a visual treat :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Comfort and warmth?

Maybe some day...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,361 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I can't relate to the "Women dress for other women" thing - do we? I also can't believe women who say they dress up for themselves exclusively. Of course the environment (including the people) has an influence on what they wear. This is why we don't wear our comfy leggings and hoodie on a night out.

Women do dress in a way to make ourselves feel good but part of this is other people thinking we look good. For me, those other people are men - and i don't see why this is something women feel they have to hide. Couldn't give a toss what women think though. Maybe women who are really into current fashion do.

I think it is more the linking of feeling good with being looked at or admired, in this case, a man admiring them, instead of linking feeling good with the idea that are grand as they are without external admiration or validation of what they are wearing from a man.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,656 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Everyone who can dress themselves, dresses for themselves. For some people it matters to them how they are perceived by other people, for other people it doesn’t matter to them how they are perceived by other people.

I don’t think there’s any basis for assuming the above is limited to one sex or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Probably different answers for different people.
    Comfort, warmth, culture, social context, environment etc etc.
    Maybe a few dress to impress men sometimes. On a date for eg. Maybe not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

I've read your post twice and still don't know what it's about.

Ah heor, should i open a remedial thread!
    Pretty self explanatory i thought

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

God's eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

As I posted in the other thread, I think the bashing of some young guys for misunderstanding this is a little unfair, because most young lads don't give a bollocks about their appearance in any context other than trying to be attractive. It's understandable that they assume this cuts both ways, even if that's a misunderstanding, and isn't evidence of being arrogant or obnoxious or anything like that. Certainly as a non sports player and as someone who knows very little about fashion, my approach to looking good is pretty much entirely about sex appeal. I don't really care what other lads or family members think of me like :D:D:D

It's one of those unfortunate instances where a simple and understandable mismatch has been amped up into an all out vitriolic culture war in the age of the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

It is a myth that it is men's fault for women feeling pressure to dress as they do. Most men couldn't care less what a woman is wearing. In reality, men would just give a look if a girl was showing a lot of skin or looked particularly sexy but only because we are easily distracted with these things.

If this is deemed to be men influencing what women wear than clearly the issue is the women who like to attract the gaze of men versus those women which hate that women will dress just to get looks from guys.

If individual guys had a preference for women to dress a certain way then that's their preference - some women like their guys to dress a certain way. But the vast majority don't care. Eve in Dublin 8 needs to get over herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

I do dress with other women in mind as well as what I like myself. I notice how well other women are dressed so assume they are doing the same about me. (However this has no bearing on the people I like. Some people dress awfully but are fabulous and great to be around.) The men I know don't give a hoot so long as you look reasonably ok in their company. But if I was going on a special date type of thing I would like to know I was a total knockout.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Subconsciously, everything we do is to attract the opposite sex to find a suitable partner to breed or to protect our young.

• Advertisement

Subconsciously, everything we do is to attract the opposite sex to find a suitable partner to breed or to protect our young.

Thanks Sigmund Freud.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,656 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Really Richard?

How does that theory pan out for people who are sexually attracted to people of the same sex as themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I've often heard women say this: that they dress to impress other women. Or for fear of being criticised by other women (very common)

I'd say that those who dress "for men" would be the minority -- and some of the other women would criticise them for that, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Palmach

Most men couldn't care less what a woman is wearing.

Nonsense. Most men are attracted to well dressed women. It is an Irish thing for women to not bother. This has been noted by many non-Irish women I know. If you don't bother to dress up you give off vibes that you don't care. My wife who is non-Irish nearly always wears a skirt because I think she looks good in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Mrsmum wrote: »
    I do dress with other women in mind as well as what I like myself. I notice how well other women are dressed so assume they are doing the same about me. (However this has no bearing on the people I like. Some people dress awfully but are fabulous and great to be around.) The men I know don't give a hoot so long as you look reasonably ok in their company. But if I was going on a special date type of thing I would like to know I was a total knockout.

If I were to say that I, as a lad in his late twenties, pretty much only thinks about "will this make me more likely to get hit on when I go out clubbing on Saturday" when I'm working out or deciding what outfit to wear before the aforementioned sesh, would this come as a big surprise?

Again, I know that women don't think this way, but in my view it's not surprising that some lads assume that their approach to these things is mirrored in the opposite sex. Generally, men and women behave different in these instances, but projecting one's own worldview and assuming it's a universal thing is a fairly standard human trait. I don't see it as malicious or inherently offensive, it's just the classic "I see a candlestick, there's no way anyone could see it as two faces" issue of human bias.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

I've asked this to a number of female friends and every one of them said that they dress for other women, not men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Alun wrote: »
    Really?

It wasnt my finest hour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Even men who care how women dress don't have a clue what they're talking about when it comes to clothes.

"I love a woman in heels". They're not heels, they're high heels. All womens shoes have a heel. If they didn't they'd be walking around with no skin on their feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

Who do men dress for?

Do all women have this hive mind that I'm somehow being left out of? How do I apply to be part of the collective? What will happen to me if I don't fall into line?

• Advertisement

Palmach wrote: »
    Nonsense. Most men are attracted to well dressed women. It is an Irish thing for women to not bother. This has been noted by many non-Irish women I know. If you don't bother to dress up you give off vibes that you don't care. My wife who is non-Irish nearly always wears a skirt because I think she looks good in them.

If by well-dressed, you mean "sexy" then you are correct about what most men are attracted to. If a girl doesn't want to feel pressure to dress up for a guy then quite simply if she doesn't look sexy, most guys won't care to look at her and she can achieve what she wanted.

I would agree that your opinion as to what she looks good in is fine, but it is unlikely to be "pressure" from you to wear this. Therefore, the key point is that this talk of men creating a "pressure" on women to dress a certain way is a myth; any "pressure" really does come from other women.

Advertisement