Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fading Good Looks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Thomyokk

Couldn't get a look at a woman in my 20s

Literally getting propositioned every day of the week now

It's mad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

The fading looks thing doesn't start until long after your ages. Thought the George Clooney years were 40s onwards.

George Clooney was best-looking in his ER years, his early to mid 30s.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I'm entering the middle aged phase for women where we are invisible.

It's great. I don't get chatted up any more and therefore don't get called an unfriendly bitch or c*nt when I point out that I'm not single.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,354 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Neyite wrote: »

It's great. I don't get chatted up any more and therefore don't get called an unfriendly bitch or c*nt when I point out that I'm not single.

Challenge accepted .

"How you doin ?"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,354 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Thomyokk wrote: »
    Couldn't get a look at a woman in my 20s

Literally getting propositioned every day of the week now

It's mad

Yeah , I hear it's rough in Mountjoy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Anyone notice that 40's does seem to be new like late 20's. To think guys like Andy Samberg are 40.(Not saying he's particularly good looking but he looks mid 20's) Maybe it's style, a lot of people don't dress like old lads anymore so look younger.

I saw a picture of John Mayer and he was dressed like a hypebeast but it didn't look weird or anything. Kanye West is a style icon(somehow) and actually influencing and creating trends and is 40 plus. I'm late 20's and look pretty much the same as I did at 20, can't imagine my face changing that much without getting really fat or some ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Neyite wrote: »

Oooh look at me, I have a fella.......cúnt!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

I don't think I've gotten better looking in that I look older, the odd wrinkle, a fair bit of grey. I'm male in my 30's. However I do seem to be more appealing to the opposite sex now vs. my 20's. I'm not single so it's inconsequential really (in case they're reading this :pac: ).

I think it's just a case of if you're still in decent shape, still have hair on your head and make a modest effort into your appearance to the outside world then you're ahead of the pack in your 30's. Versus your 20's when that description fits the majority of guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Anyone notice that 40's does seem to be new like late 20's. To think guys like Andy Samberg are 40.(Not saying he's particularly good looking but he looks mid 20's) Maybe it's style, a lot of people don't dress like old lads anymore so look younger.

I saw a picture of John Mayer and he was dressed like a hypebeast but it didn't look weird or anything. Kanye West is a style icon(somehow) and actually influencing and creating trends and is 40 plus. I'm late 20's and look pretty much the same as I did at 20, can't imagine my face changing that much without getting really fat or some ****.

Neither can anybody, but then it happens! Everyones face ages, shouldnt be that big a change between late twenties and 40 if you look after your looks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,346 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

It has to be said I have seen good looking people get preferential treatment both in work and socially. It normally wears off if the person isn't nice.
    At the same time you get people who were good looking trying to get the same preferential treatment. It usually back fires. Nothing worse than somebody you don't find attractive flirting with you actting as if you think they are gorgeous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

• Registered Users Posts: 36,083 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Wibbs wrote: »
    It;s been my general observation that if a guy doesn't go to seed, or started out pretty seedy, his 30's are his "peak" of overall attractiveness to women. The point where he has the most choice and range. I couldn't get arrested in my teens and twenties, :D, but my thirties were a total game changer. Like a switch was flicked. Mad. Hell my forties were streets ahead of my twenties.

I'm mid thirties and this has been my experience. I'm consistently surprised tbh, as I drew little or no interest in my 20's from the opposite sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Thats interesting about guys getting more attention in their 30s . Its definitely the opposite way around for gay guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

northgirl wrote: »
    Not sure. Alot of my hair fell out. I felt invisible. It's growing back now and I'm starting to feel better about myself and consequently putting more effort into how I look day to day.

It could be my perception that may not be reality.

I've been told I look 10 years younger than I am so that's a bonus.

It's a very common thing with men but it's rarer and probably more devastating for a woman but also more common than people realise. Don't feel too bad though, I've found as men move into their later 20's their priorities change. They want someone who actually makes them happy. I've seen plenty a beautiful girl without hair inside and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

I'm 38 and sometimes get lazy and let the back and side hairs from my male pattern baldness grow out. My hair is greying rapidly and when it grows out I look much older.

Then I get it shaved to the bone and with 3 day grey tinged stubble, I look 10 years younger and transform into a very sexy bastard*. Think a stubbly Jason Statham with glasses.

jason_statham-667.jpg

* according to my OH....and me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Fair play to the lady on this thread who lost a lot of her hair but soldiered on and got her groove back. THAT'S a tough one.
    This is the best thing I have ever read on Boads. I wish I could thank this twice.
    What's so brilliant about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Cleopatra_

I was one ugly teenager and then I was alright looking at 16, until I put on 5 stone. I lost a lot of weight at 25/26 so I think 27 was my peak attractiveness but I was still no stunner. Now I'm 30 and have put all of the weight back on. Back to the minger pile I go.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,346 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

wakka12 wrote: »
    Thats interesting about guys getting more attention in their 30s . Its definitely the opposite way around for gay guys

Yeah my brother discovered that a bit late. Had people really interested in him and then he got older. It all dried up and he lives a very solitary life.

• Site Banned Posts: 75 ✭✭Lillybloom

rusty cole wrote: »
    I don't get the thread really. do you notice people treat you differently because you used to be attractive? how would this play out? is it to imply that you are now taken seriously being less attractive? or are you now passed over in a bar, were once this was not the case? or do friends smile to your face but laugh behind your back because you no longer make them feel bad about themselves?

In what context OP??

I don't see what's confusing about the thread. It's about people's accounts of how others treat them differently as they lose their good looks. All contexts are open for discussion, this isn't an exam question.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

jimgoose wrote: »
    I'm 46 and like fine whiskey, the older I get the more attractive I am. I'm your tall, well-built, ruggedly handsome type. Somewhat but not entirely tangentially, I think a lot of women benefit greatly from a few laps on the clock and a little lining and wrinkling, gives 'em lovely, attractive character.

Half my kingdom is yours! <3<3<3

Also, undying gratitude and appreciation: what a fine taste and discriminating palate we see here!

>grins<

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

From the neck down, I look better than I did at 30. From the neck up, not so much...

Lillybloom wrote: »
    I don't see what's confusing about the thread. It's about people's accounts of how others treat them differently as they lose their good looks. All contexts are open for discussion, this isn't an exam question.

I know things about people lilly, (famous movie quote from someone who aged like wine) and someone you certainly would not treat differently

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Challenge accepted .

"How you doin ?"

;)

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Really good-looking people's looks don't fade until they're actually old (actually old, not 35) unless they do a Brigitte Bardot and cook themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

wakka12 wrote: »
    Depends on the person. I know 25 year olds how look absolutely haggard, male and female

Speaking of ageing well des bishop looked so good on rte last night. I never thought he was attractive before and he looks so different now but way better with a bit of ageing, definitely suits some people and others not so much
    Noticed that too about Des Bishop.

I would have never considered him as handsome before.

The greying hair really suits him.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

...unless they do a Brigitte Bardot and cook themselves.

Amazing. For one of the most beautiful creatures in the World at one point, she appears to have managed to turn into a somewhat less attractive version of Donald Trump:

Brigitte-Bardot-696x464.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

The wall is real :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Day Lewin wrote: »
    From the neck down, I look better than I did at 30. From the neck up, not so much...

I wouldn't necessarily be too sure. For an example of a woman who remained white-hot, bow-chicka-wow-wow attractive into her 80s and crow's feet be buggered, check out one Betty Joan Perske, better known as Lauren Bacall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Noticed that too about Des Bishop.

I would have never considered him as handsome before.

The greying hair really suits him.

Giving up the drink was probably a big part of it. If you live healthy then aging gracefully is on the cards, less so if you don't. At the other end of the spectrum look at all the mad session merchants looking like obese stroke victims once they pass 35/40.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Des Bishop was a model when he was younger. He just didn't come across as handsome, if you look back though he actually was.

Advertisement