Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Snow and Ice Warning : Thursday/Friday 7th/8th December

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,781 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I'm still seeing very little snow on the cards Thursday/Friday for all but the uplands in the North and Northwest, mixed precip or dry altogether and a bitter breeze across the bulk of Leinster and Munster.

The best chance for widespread snow is for a few hours Saturday when the fronts try to break through. It will be icey and dicey pretty much anywhere though from Thursday to Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I'm still seeing very little snow on the cards Thursday/Friday for all but the uplands in the North and Northwest, mixed precip or dry altogether and a bitter breeze across the bulk of Leinster and Munster.

The best chance for widespread snow is for a few hours Saturday when the fronts try to break through. It will be icey and dicey pretty much anywhere though from Thursday to Sunday.

Looking at the charts it does seem to be a northern/ northwest affair. We usually get showers in west Munster but could be the dreaded sleet. Still time for snow upgrades I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,781 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Yeah agreed, its on a knife edge as it tends to be with airmasses over Ireland, but it wouldnt take much modification either way for it to be a decent pasting or a common or garden cold damp few days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Most affected in this order should be Ulster Connaught west Munster and north Leinster
    That’s from the showers
    Disturbances on the end of the front may at least bring snow to high ground in eastern areas

The showers may well be enough to get through and give a covering in Dublin
    If it’s happened before it can happen again
    I’ve seen lepordstown races called off due to northwesterly snow and I’ve even seen them get down to Arklow but don’t expect the southeast to see much if any this time

Exciting in the run up and seeing what happens nonetheless for weather buffs

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Whatever the snowline, a northwesterly rarely gives us a decent quality of snow at low levels. Oul cheap Atlantic muck, not the like that from an easterly. With ground temperatures bound to be high from the couple of mild days to come now any snow will have a hard time remaining during daylight hours.

• Advertisement

Probably and I’d agree until I see -10 (and every other cold stat that would naturally come along with that) uppers from that direction
    But there will be snow in all those areas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Looks like a short but reasonably potent North/North Westerly. Pity the progged thicknesses aren't great. Reckon people on higher ground in the North and West (like mountainy man) should see around 10cm of snow. Should be a decent covering at lower levels also. For Dublin best case scenario is for a dusting of snow obviously due to the unfavourable wind direction - am just expecting dry cold tbh. Post cold snap is very uncertain but still decent potential.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

I wouldn't be too hopeful of any snow in Waterford but the last few occasions we have had snow here it was from a NW flow. NW is a lot better than a Northerly for our chances anyway. Uppers temps are the lowest we will have seen here in a few Winters so all is to play for. An interesting week ahead with a big change in Temps from Wednesday to Thursday

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

not expecting much if any snow around these parts, maybe a dusting if we're lucky. The only way we will see measurable snow is a polar low/organised disturbance rather than showers, but for that the temperatures and dp's would have to be low enough to support falling and lying snow.

I am still holding out for an easterly this winter as that is the real deal with proper cold and snow trains, then again not all easterly's are unsettled affairs either.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rodar08

Gonzo wrote: »
    not expecting much if any snow around these parts, maybe a dusting if we're lucky.

What parts? Ireland as a whole? Your specific location? As a moderator I wouldn’t have thought you of all people would do that. It always makes it a pointless post completely except for the people who know where you live. The rest of us just have to waste time reading about conditions/forecasts for an unknown place. See what I mean here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Rodar08 wrote: »
    What parts? Ireland as a whole? Your specific location? As a moderator I wouldn’t have thought you of all people would do that. It always makes it a pointless post completely except for the people who know where you live. The rest of us just have to waste time reading about conditions/forecasts for an unknown place. See what I mean here?

Em... his handle clearly states he lives in Dunshaughlin, Co. Meath.... That specific enough?!?:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

when I said around these parts I was referring to near where I live, which is written under my name. It won't become clear where will see snow until Wednesday. Generally Atlantic/Northerly's produce very little for much of the east and south of the country unless something more organised happens.

Going on past experience Atlantic or northerly cold spells rarely cause severe widespread disruption due to snow as it usually results in showers that weaken as they travel and die out on their journey. Frost and black ice can be a problem as always in set ups such as this.

But, there has been rare occasions where such cold spells do deliver widespread snow cover across the country, but so far it's looking nothing like that.

Predicting snowfall can be a nightmare, even more so during an easterly with the Isle Of Man and Wales shadows changing as the wind direction changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

What parts of Dunshaughlin will see snow?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Northwesterly cold is cold that doesn't deliver for us in the Sunny Southeast anyway but looks interesting for some northern areas.

Saturday will be interesting to follow, GFS and ECM are not in agreement.

Anyway at least some colder weather ahead for a couple of days better than the mild muck of Wednesday but I wouldn't be getting excited if you live in the East.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rodar08

It says moderator under your name. No location.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

It says moderator under your name. No location.

You're using the mobile site, many issues with that, your location doesn't show, which is why most users try to put in their location when making weather reports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

when I said around these parts I was referring to near where I live, which is written under my name. It won't become clear where will see snow until Wednesday. Generally Atlantic/Northerly's produce very little for much of the east and south of the country unless something more organised happens.

Going on past experience Atlantic or northerly cold spells rarely cause severe widespread disruption due to snow as it usually results in showers that weaken as they travel and die out on their journey. Frost and black ice can be a problem as always in set ups such as this.

But, there has been rare occasions where such cold spells do deliver widespread snow cover across the country, but so far it's looking nothing like that.

Predicting snowfall can be a nightmare, even more so during an easterly with the Isle Of Man and Wales shadows changing as the wind direction changes.

To be fair, the sacred easterlies don't usually cause widespread disruption either but since a big chunk of the population live near the east coast it seems like it does

A typical easterly leaves the majority of the country bone dry

JCX BXC wrote: »
    You're using the mobile site, many issues with that, your location doesn't show, which is why most users try to put in their location when making weather reports.

didn't realize location doesn't show up on mobile devices, I'm old school and use a desktop pc/monitor 98% of the time!.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

didn't realize location doesn't show up on mobile devices, I'm old school and use a desktop pc/monitor 98% of the time!.

It doesn't, probably one of the most annoying things about the mobile site!

kod87 wrote: »
    To be fair, the sacred easterlies don't usually cause widespread disruption either but since a big chunk of the population live near the east coast it seems like it does

A typical easterly leaves the majority of the country bone dry

it depends on how decent the easterly becomes. We have had dry easterlies before where the Irish sea fails to deliver. I have seen really good easterlies deliver proper snow right into the heart of Ireland, even east Galway as well as much of the north and south of the country.

The Atlantic/northerlies can bring snow past the midlands, but even in the west, it's often only an inch or 2 at most and of the very wet variety with mainly high ground and Donegal/Northern Ireland receiving the lions share of lying snow. I think Christmas Day 2004 was the last successful attempt for most of the country?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

it depends on how decent the easterly becomes. We have had dry easterlies before where the Irish sea fails to deliver. I have seen really good easterlies deliver proper snow right into the heart of Ireland, even east Galway as well as much of the north and south of the country.

The Atlantic/northerlies can bring snow past the midlands, but even in the west, it's often only an inch or 2 at most and of the very wet variety with mainly high ground and Donegal/Northern Ireland receiving the lions share of lying snow. I think Christmas Day 2004 was the last successful attempt for most of the country?

Well I have lived in this location for 30 years and not once has a snowflake fallen from an easterly sourced cold ( guess i'm unlucky ) but on average we get 2/3 mornings a year of snow cover from a north westerly. It's not much but in the south midlands it's our only real prospect of snow cover unless we get an exceptional easterly ( once in a hundred year type event )

Certainly here in Cork there have probably been 10 occasions since 2004 when a NW delivered snow of any variety (lets say that lasted an hour, usually at 7am) - but with possible exception of a half day / overnight in and around Jan 2015, I'm not sure any successfully lay for more than 4 hours. Only proper snowfall in that period was Jan 2010 (from the south as part of the Dec 2009/Jan 2010 cold) and 17 December 2010 (at the start of that northerly).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭compsys

I’d say over 60% of traffic on boards comes from mobile now so when talking about your location you should never presume people are on desktop and know where you are.

kod87 wrote: »
    Well I have lived in this location for 30 years and not once has a snowflake fallen from an easterly sourced cold ( guess i'm unlucky ) but on average we get 2/3 mornings a year of snow cover from a north westerly. It's not much but in the south midlands it's our only real prospect of snow cover unless we get an exceptional easterly ( once in a hundred year type event )

Aye
    My milk in December 2010 was being brought from Arklow to the Glanbia ballyragget plant in Kilkenny where our Lorry driver said there was no snow
    The staff down there couldn’t believe what he was telling them about conditions up our way
    Here’s a pic attached of us clearing (again) the lane down into the yard so the lorry could get in
    We were successfull as per the 2nd pic
    The piles of snow we created lasted until the end of January!

That was on Dec 22nd,it snowed heavy again on the 23rd and 24th

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I'm glad kod87 and George Sunsnow mentioned it in passing because I was beginning to wonder was my old noggin going off a bit. Everyone talks about 2010 but in my neck of the woods - near Roscrea Tipp it was a fairly unremarkable event snow-wise. Sure there was snow but checking through my old photos, I can see the grass on my lawn through the snow (the fact that I only took a handful says a lot). I travelled regularly to Galway without difficulty.

The COLD though folks I'll never forget..

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

iconnh-0-138.png.d433ea4ca270257b4024de46bd3bcf21.png

Lots of rain in that chart should it materialize Ronnie I should imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

12z GFS just rolling out, looks somewhat less promising (less blocked, more rainy, still fairly snowy) but let's see what the ECM has to say...

We've seen worse than the below chart 4 days away (albeit I know the GFS precipitation chart is awful)..

90-574UK.GIF?04-12

• Advertisement

just seen RTE's latest forecast on RTE News Now and it's not particularly great. Very mild on Wednesday, possibly reaching 14C in places. Thursday they have nationwide rain, hail and sleet showers, they mention possible dustings and temps of 3-5C.

Friday they show showers of sleet and snow along the west and mostly sunny elsewhere but colder and temps around 3C.

Saturday and Sunday they are showing a dry and mostly sunny setup nationwide with temps starting to recover.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement