Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAMSAT 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Celestial12

Guidance wrote: »
    Okay, it's coming along (I think!).

Yes, that sounds good. If you're stuck for time just stick to the ACER material. It's probably your best bet. :-)

Have you done the Acer practice tests yet? I've heard the purple one is harder than the green one, I'll find out soon enough! :P I'll have enough time to do the Des tests and the Acer ones anyway.

Got the ticket this morning. I'm in the Blackrock Examination Centre, UCD Graduate School of Business. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Guidance

Have you done the Acer practice tests yet? I've heard the purple one is harder than the green one, I'll find out soon enough! :P I'll have enough time to do the Des tests and the Acer ones anyway.

Got the ticket this morning. I'm in the Blackrock Examination Centre, UCD Graduate School of Business. :)

Yes, I recently did the Purple booklet under timed conditions. Section I went fairly well but section III was disheartening to say the least. I struggled with the timing on section III. I need to practice more under timed conditions and come up with a sensible strategy for that section.

I'm also in UCD for the exam. :cool:

Yes, I recently did the Purple booklet under timed conditions. Section I went fairly well but section III was disheartening to say the least. I struggled with the timing on section III. I need to practice more under timed conditions and come up with a sensible strategy for that section.

I'm also in UCD for the exam. :cool:

I wouldn't worry, you've still got two weeks. On PagingDr I saw someone say they scored in the 30's for section III on the purple paper and then got 60 something on the day. There's a thread there on predicting scores, and in general they say that your GAMSAT score is your raw score +10 i.e. If you go 55/110 right on the day you'd get a score of 65. Section I works out about the same too I believe. People tend to do better in that section overall (as in they get more questions right, so the standard is higher), which makes it difficult to score well there. 58/75 might get you a score of 68 on the day. Something like that.

If anyone wants the Des O'Neill prep series, let me know. I have PDF's of the 2014 edition. :)

I wouldn't worry, you've still got two weeks. On PagingDr I saw someone say they scored in the 30's for section III on the purple paper and then got 60 something on the day. There's a thread there on predicting scores, and in general they say that your GAMSAT score is your raw score +10 i.e. If you go 55/110 right on the day you'd get a score of 65. Section I works out about the same too I believe. People tend to do better in that section overall (as in they get more questions right, so the standard is higher), which makes it difficult to score well there. 58/75 might get you a score of 68 on the day. Something like that.

Thanks for the reassurance. I was hoping to do better though, but hopefully with some more practice it will come good.

Did you look at either yet?

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reassurance. I was hoping to do better though, but hopefully with some more practice it will come good.

Did you look at either yet?

Haven't looked at either yet. I think I'll do them the weekend before the exam. That's been my plan for weeks, I just had intended on doing other practice tests before then... Hasn't worked out! I'm quite last minute with exams a lot of the time, but I got a 1.1 undergrad so it still hasn't hit me that I might do really badly in the GAMSAT. :P

If I don't get it this time, then I'll spend a lot more time doing practice questions for the March exam. I'll get through the ACER and Des O'Neill ones this time around.

Haven't looked at either yet. I think I'll do them the weekend before the exam. That's been my plan for weeks, I just had intended on doing other practice tests before then... Hasn't worked out! I'm quite last minute with exams a lot of the time, but I got a 1.1 undergrad so it still hasn't hit me that I might do really badly in the GAMSAT. :P

If I don't get it this time, then I'll spend a lot more time doing practice questions for the March exam. I'll get through the ACER and Des O'Neill ones this time around.

Ok, hopefully you'll do fine. Did you do a science or science-related degree?

Ok, hopefully you'll do fine. Did you do a science or science-related degree?

Yes, biology based undergrad and I'm doing a PhD now - hence limited time to prepare for the GAMSAT. :P What about you?

If you've any problems with the links, let me know. :)

Yes, biology based undergrad and I'm doing a PhD now - hence limited time to prepare for the GAMSAT. :P What about you?

If you've any problems with the links, let me know. :)

Wait what!? Fair play. So you will hopefully finish your PhD soon? I've just completed a molecular biology undergrad.

Wait what!? Fair play. So you will hopefully finish your PhD soon? I've just completed a molecular biology undergrad.

I finished my undergrad last year, so I'm still in the first year of the PhD. If I get a suitable GAMSAT score then I'll probably ask to switch to a research masters and finish up by the end of July next year. I don't think there'd be any benefit to putting in the extra years to get the PhD, so I'll finish with the masters all going well. Hoping to get a few publications out of this anyway. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Junegirl

If anyone wants the Des O'Neill prep series, let me know. I have PDF's of the 2014 edition. :)

Hi Celestial12, I was just wondering if the offer still stands about the Des O'Neill prep series? I'm sitting the exam in September and I'm freaking out a bit, I don't feel prepared enough at all!

Junegirl wrote: »
    Hi Celestial12, I was just wondering if the offer still stands about the Des O'Neill prep series? I'm sitting the exam in September and I'm freaking out a bit, I don't feel prepared enough at all!

Yes, I'll send you them now. :)

Don't worry! They say having a positive mindset is half the battle. With the exam being so long, nobody will be at their best. Just do what you can from now until the exam and fingers crossed you'll get what you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Yes, I'll send you them now. :)

Don't worry! They say having a positive mindset is half the battle. With the exam being so long, nobody will be at their best. Just do what you can from now until the exam and fingers crossed you'll get what you need.

Hi Celestial, Likewise, I was wondering if you still have the Des O'Neill notes that would be great.

Would appreciate a PM.

Hi Celestial, Likewise, I was wondering if you still have the Des O'Neill notes that would be great.

Would appreciate a PM.

Sure, no worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 si1234

Celestial12, could I possibly get that material aswel? I'd be very grateful :)

Also is anyone sure of the location? I am also in the Blackrock Examination Centre in UCD Smurfit but it looks slightly off the Smurfit campus. Just wanted to double check with someone?

si1234 wrote: »

Also is anyone sure of the location? I am also in the Blackrock Examination Centre in UCD Smurfit but it looks slightly off the Smurfit campus. Just wanted to double check with someone?

I'm not sure of the location, I'm heading to Dublin on the Tuesday though, so I might check it out if I have time. If not I'll head in extra early on Wednesday morning to make sure I'm on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 si1234

I'm not sure of the location, I'm heading to Dublin on the Tuesday though, so I might check it out if I have time. If not I'll head in extra early on Wednesday morning to make sure I'm on time.
    Thanks so much!

Yes, I am going to go up on Tuesday too. Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

si1234 wrote: »

If it is where it was last time, then its just at the entrance to Smurfit Business school to the right of the main gate as you drive in. Ample parking there all day also.

Best of luck to everyone doing it.

If it is where it was last time, then its just at the entrance to Smurfit Business school to the right of the main gate as you drive in. Ample parking there all day also.

Best of luck to everyone doing it.

Thanks for the information! I was wondering about that as well ðŸ˜႒

Do you have any insights or tips for the exam day, including any related to the venue?

Thanks

I just did the first Des O'Neill practice test for section III, and scored horrendously (54/110). Not sure if there's much I can do within the next week!

I hope the preparation is going well for everyone else.

• Advertisement

I just did the first Des O'Neill practice test for section III, and scored horrendously (54/110). Not sure if there's much I can do within the next week!

I hope the preparation is going well for everyone else.

You can learn a lot from doing the two ACER tests and, crucially, going through the solutions (the GS YouTube page for instance).

Moreover, you can certainly improve if that was your first test under timed conditions. :-)

You can learn a lot from doing the two ACER tests and, crucially, going through the solutions (the GS YouTube page for instance).

Moreover, you can certainly improve if that was your first test under timed conditions. :-)

That's a good idea, do they take long to go through? How are you feeling about the exam now? (^_^)

Yes, it was my first test. I did terrible in the biology section (24/44), so there's definitely room to improve! Made loads of really carless mistakes.

That's a good idea, do they take long to go through? How are you feeling about the exam now? (^_^)

Yes, it was my first test. I did terrible in the biology section (24/44), so there's definitely room to improve! Made loads of really carless mistakes.

Okay. They can take a while to go through - I usually played them at 1.25X in order to speed them up! I also only watched a select few.

Keep going with the practice material and you should improve your score!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭ilovesmecounty

Hi gang,

I've been lurking but not posting all summer, and after attempting another sample paper today (took me 6 hours to get through S3!) I have accepted that next Wednesday will be a trial run for March. I don't mind, it's good experience and will hopefully have me prepped. I had to learn all science subjects from scratch (didn't do any science for my Leaving) so I'm consoling myself that I've come on in leaps and bounds over the past 3 months.
    Is anyone part of a study group, or would anyone be interested in kicking one off from October? I'm Dublin-based and have tried to find something similar, but to no avail. Obviously, I'll be no help in the science, but I'm pretty good with words, especially the essay writing. Good luck all!

Hi gang,

I've been lurking but not posting all summer, and after attempting another sample paper today (took me 6 hours to get through S3!) I have accepted that next Wednesday will be a trial run for March. I don't mind, it's good experience and will hopefully have me prepped. I had to learn all science subjects from scratch (didn't do any science for my Leaving) so I'm consoling myself that I've come on in leaps and bounds over the past 3 months.
    Is anyone part of a study group, or would anyone be interested in kicking one off from October? I'm Dublin-based and have tried to find something similar, but to no avail. Obviously, I'll be no help in the science, but I'm pretty good with words, especially the essay writing. Good luck all!

What score did you get in section III? A girl on PagingDr posted that she got 50/110 in the purple paper, and 56/110 in the green paper (ACER's sample papers that is), and ended up getting 65 on the day. Don't give up!

If you're good at the first two sections, then you could get in based on those alone. Somebody posted a thread about that a few weeks back... He got an offer in UL based on his SI and SII scores, for SIII he just but down the same letter each time.

This is a copy of the post for anyone interested:
    I said I wasn't going to share my results earlier because I was concerned about the complete opposite of what I was expecting skewing any results but I thought in the end I would share it, if nothing else to give hope for people who are doing as dismally in S3 as I was at the beginning.

My final results at GAMSAT March 2015 were:
    S1 - 56
    S2 - 65
    S3 - 65
    Overall: 63

Here is the list of practice exam results - I had no idea I had done so many practice exams until I went through them all. FYI, I have a science degree but it is 10 years old and I couldn't even remember the difference between a proton, neutron and electron! I had virtually zero physics experience and redid year 12 physics and chemistry via a fast tracked program at a mature age high-school. This gave me the momentum to learn how to study again and set up my science foundation, it was the second best preparation strategy I used in my view. The first being a study group - those guys were invaluable and are the reason for a S3 score I never imagined I could have gotten.

Des:

Test 1 (December 2014)
    S3 - 51/110 (46%)

Test 2 (February 2015)
    S3 - 64/110 (58%)

Test 3 (January 2015)
    S3 - 53/110 (48%)

Test 4 (March 2015)
    S3 - 65/110 (59%)

Des Bonus Humanities Test (February 2015)
    S1 - 52/75 (70%)

Acer:

Purple (March 2015)
    S1 - 48/75 (64%)
    S3 – 50/110 (45%)

Blue (first attempt – August 2014)
    S1 – 25/35 (71%)
    S3 – 23/56 (41%)

Blue (second attempt – February 2015)
    S1 – 28/35 (80%)
    S3 – 32/56 (57%)

Red (second attempt - old version – some questions the same as new version but not all February 2015)
    S1 28/38 (74%)
    S3 34/55 (62%)

Red (first attempt – new version - some questions the same but not all – August 2015)
    S1 – 27/35 (77%)
    Not sure where S3 went?

Green (first attempt – September 2014)
    S1 – 52/75 (69%)
    S3 – 42/110 (38%)

Green (second attempt – February 2015)
    S3 – 56/110 (51%)

Others:

MedPrep Diagnostics Test (1/2 Length - January 2015)
    S1 - 28/38 (74%)
    S3 – 34/55 (62%)

Griffiths GAMSAT Review (Sept/Oct? 2014)
    S1 – 38/75 (50%)
    S3 – 33/110 (30%)

Gold Standard GAMSAT (March 2015)
    S1 - 42/75 (55%) (This was 90th percentile apparently?)
    S3 – 52/110 (47%)

Grad Ready Live Exam (March 2015)
    S1 – 48/75 (64%) – 70th percentile
    S2 – 58 – 38th percentile
    S3 – 60/110 (54%) 38th percentile

EDIT: These were my scores using the above predictor:

Section 1: 58 (48-69)

Section 2: 78 (73-84)

Section 3: 51 (33-69)

Overall:

60 (47-72)

To be honest, they're exactly what I would have predicted for myself, hence why I was so surprised with the end result. It's a great tool - thanks for making it Ches!

Seems that you need to do quite well in section I to score well, whereas an average raw score in section III can result in a higher GAMSAT score.

I'm starting from such a low base. I had to learn the composition of an atom etc etc. That's ok, though probably should've given myself more than two months to go at it!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭GrabTheCREAM

How did everyone get on with the official practise questions from ACER? (yellow book) I got about 21/50 which would translate to about 46/110... feeling a bit disheartened :(

Snap GrabtheCream. I got the exact same score! Sigh. Maybe we'd be better off studying than hanging around here. Though Celestial is very motivational!

• Advertisement

Nope, haven't done the practice questions yet. Going to do them this weekend along with the other ACER papers. Going through the Des material first. I have 3 more Des Section III tests to do, and two section I tests. I've also been using Examkrackers for section I, their tests seem to be a lot easier... Not sure how reliable my scores there are!

Best of luck!

This score predictor is supposed to be fairly accurate: https://timon.fearthecow.net/gamsat/

Advertisement