Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Learning Irish/General Queries Thread.

• 19-11-2010 3:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭

Tá curtha ina n-iarrfaidh cothrom cúpla ar chomhairle cabhair/maidir le foghlaim na Gaeilge le déanaí.
    There have been a fair few requests for help/advice with regard learning Irish recently.

Seo roinnt leideanna agus naisc más main leat an Ghaeilge a fhoghlaim
    Here are a few tips and resourses if you want to learn Irish,

Ranganna Classes.

Conradh Na Gaeilge.

GaelChultúr

Foras na Gaeilge

Ciorcal Comhrá Conversation Group

Creidim go bhfuil Ciorcal Comhrá an rud is fearr nuair a bhíonn tú Gaeilge a fhoghlaim. Is féidir leat éisteacht le daoine eile ag caint ar an teanga agus is feidir leat do focail nua a úsáid.
    I have found one of the most helpful things when Learning Irish is a Ciorcal Comhrá(Conversation Group). You can listen to others speaking the Language and can use new words you have learned.

Is Leor Beirt

Foras na Gaeilge

Leabhair Books.

Tá go leor leabhair chun cabhrú leat Gaeilge a fhoghlaim
    There are many books out there to help you learn Irish.

Buntús Cainte

Teach your self Irish

Naisc Idirlín Internet Links.

Learn Irish with Liam

BBC

Tá i bhfad níos mó ná seo. Más main leat chuie suas rud ar bith gur chaill mé
    There are many more resourses than this. Feel free to post up anything I missed.

Go n-eirí an t-ádh leat.:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭AWard

www.talkirish.com

They have Buntús Cainte in a format for your iPod, iPhone, iPad, i.....whatever....

60 lessons, seems to be pretty good so far... not as interactive as the web-based sample...?

And thanks again to all the kind souls who have been helping me with this project of mine :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 mulvihill67

My concern is, is it better to send a 10 year old to a residential course or to the course where they live with a family, this will be his 1st outing to an Irish college and I'm unsure what to do and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this, more than likely he will be going to a Munster based Collaiste as this is the type of Irish we learned ie Baile Bhuairne in Cork run by Geal Linn, any thoughts really apprecialte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 mulvihill67

Thanks again deise go deo, B

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭dhayashi

Does anyone here speak Irish and want to practice on Skype? I would looooove that! Pretty please? Message me your username if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Toyota_Avensis

Tá Facebook ar fáil trí gaeilge...Tá sé ann leat chun do gaeilge a úsaid!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭dhayashi

My Irish is horrible, but I am guessing that you're saying that Facebook has a Gaeilge group that I could/should join?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

dhayashi wrote: »
    My Irish is horrible, but I am guessing that you're saying that Facebook has a Gaeilge group that I could/should join?

It means that Facebook is available through Irish

If you go into settings and go to the languages section, you can choose to display Facebook through about 30 different languages, Irish is one of them.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Bob123123

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Asry

Is é seo go maith do ghramadach?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 phatrat1982

Hello everyone I am new here and I am a total newbie to the Irish language. I currently live in the US in Nebraska, and my family and I are all learning Irish. Part of the reason I found this place was in my search for Irish speakers. My goal is to become completely fluent as much as possible and pass it on to our kids. I am currently teaching my nieces and nephews as I learn but since I am a beginner myself I am always worried I could be saying things wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

There's an "as Gaeilge" forum too if you're up to it http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=904

Mind me asking how you're all going about learning it? Do yous use books, or is there a Gaeilgeoir among you?

Right now we are using the internet mostly. We listen that BBC program Giota Beag and I have all the mp3s from Talk Irish 365 on my ipod and there is BYKI, um let's see we have been checking out other websites also, Youtube has been helpful. As for starting out it's all kind of rough at the moment, we got the kids saying please and thank you in Irish and we taught them their colors so far that's it for the kids since we're all learning also it's kind of rough at the moment.

Hm I thought this was the forum for learning maybe I got lost there are so many forums on this site.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

The one I linked to is for posting in Irish only in a discussion-style. This one is for asking about the language and is more of a Q&A.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,622 ✭✭✭eire4

Translate.google.com

Is féidir a bheith cabhrach google translate.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Google Translate is a fecking disaster. Seriously.

Ok I guess I misunderstood so I was in the right board ok. I am a long ways away from being able to read and write anything right now I can listen and understand some and I can sort of say a few phrases and words but nothing really useful yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Aodh Rua

Anybody who has not yet downloaded the free An Gum Irish-English/English-Irish dictionary to their android/Samsung phone yet, can do so here:

http://www.samsungapps.com/topApps/topAppsDetail.as?productId=G00005726168

It's quite excellent, although the difference between 'dílse' and 'dílseacht' in it is the reverse of the difference between both words in Ó Dónaill so I'm not sure which of those words is correctly 'loyalty' as in 'love and loyalty'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Are there any free Irish classes in or around Ranelagh/Rathmines area or in the centre of Dublin that I could attend ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭SONIC2008

Hi,

The name Collins in Irish I believe is O'Coileáin.
    If I want to speak of a female, do I write Máire Ní Choileáin or Máire Ní Coileáin. I just dont know if the Ní always adds a h behind the second letter of the surname when it begins with a consonant.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10 sunshine2007

Hello,
    I am looking for a private teacher of Irish. Do you know anyone who delivers 1 to 1 classes or where can I ask?

thank you.

Sunshine2007

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Best thing to do is go to your local Library and find the nearest Ciorcal Comhrá, then ask there
    Hello,
    I am looking for a private teacher of Irish. Do you know anyone who delivers 1 to 1 classes or where can I ask?

thank you.

Sunshine2007

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Darth Rabbit

Hey, I'm interested to know how everyone is getting on. Im in my 'mid 30s' and have recently began trying to refresh my leaving certificate Irish. For the majoriy of my time in school I wasn't interested in Irish because outside of school it had no practical use but toward the end of my secondary schooling and through a greater understanding of Irish history I began to appreciate this language. Having been abroad numerous times and see other live here whom are comfortably bi-lingual I wanted this for myself :) We have an Irish station I would like to be able to properly understand without subtitles and when I visit those remote parts of Ireland I want to be more confident engaging in conversation as Gaeilge.
    At the moment I'm using the book Gaeilge Gan Stró and have one of the CDs in the car. I'm amazed how quickly it is all coming back to me and how I'm expanding my vocabularly. If this is what I'm seeing after 1 month I can't can't wait to see where I'll be in 1 year so I'm interested to see how other people have got on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Hey, I'm interested to know how everyone is getting on. Im in my 'mid 30s' and have recently began trying to refresh my leaving certificate Irish. For the majoriy of my time in school I wasn't interested in Irish because outside of school it had no practical use but toward the end of my secondary schooling and through a greater understanding of Irish history I began to appreciate this language. Having been abroad numerous times and see other live here whom are comfortably bi-lingual I wanted this for myself :) We have an Irish station I would like to be able to properly understand without subtitles and when I visit those remote parts of Ireland I want to be more confident engaging in conversation as Gaeilge.
    At the moment I'm using the book Gaeilge Gan Stró and have one of the CDs in the car. I'm amazed how quickly it is all coming back to me and how I'm expanding my vocabularly. If this is what I'm seeing after 1 month I can't can't wait to see where I'll be in 1 year so I'm interested to see how other people have got on?

I'm using duolingo at the moment. It's helping me at the moment.You could go to a ciorcal comhrá once and a while too.

AWard wrote: »
    www.talkirish.com

They have Buntús Cainte in a format for your iPod, iPhone, iPad, i.....whatever....

60 lessons, seems to be pretty good so far... not as interactive as the web-based sample...?

And thanks again to all the kind souls who have been helping me with this project of mine :)

The focal an lae link in there is a great one I enjoy as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭castlebarian

I have very basic irish I just about passed ordinary level in my leaving cert 10 years ago . I never had the intrest in it at a younger age but as of recent i would like to learn it and be able to speek it . I travel a 2 hour commute everyday and think this could be a good time to try learn it as I just listen to the radio anyway im just wondering is there any MP3 or CDs in which I can get to help me start all over again and learn the language. Id like to start from scratch. Even though I know words and responses I can't put a sentence together or use the right form of a sentence can anyone advise me on my best options ?

Thanks

I'm using duolingo at the moment. It's helping me at the moment.You could go to a ciorcal comhrá once and a while too.

I am using dulolingo now as well and highly recommend it. Very easy to use and enjoyable way of learning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Rabo Karabekian

I was just wondering if anybody could recommend or advise on podcasts that might help with the Irish. I'm taking classes, but was thinking that it might be an idea to listen to some (preferably basic!) podcasts as Gaeilge on the commute into work. I've had a look around the iTunes store, and am really only seeing language classes or podcasts specifically for the leaving cert. Any ideas? I'm learning Connacht Irish (I think: Connemara).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

What's the difference between dá and má?

Advertisement