Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Government to consider vote on ownership of water services .

Options
  • 20-11-2018 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭

And about time too! Bring it on so we can vote the owenership into the hands of the Irish people.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

And about time too! Bring it on so we can vote the owenership into the hands of the Irish people.

If you want ownership then be a good owner and pay for it properly, in a structured, sustainable way. Not at the whim of whatever the government at the time decides to allocate it from tax take.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Yeah, that worked out great in the past didn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,408 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Sell it to the Arabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Johnnycanyon

Yeah, that worked out great in the past didn't it.

Better we own it rather than some UK water company that would probably buy it,and end up making mega bucks on the backs of our citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Johnnycanyon

If you want ownership then be a good owner and pay for it properly, in a structured, sustainable way. Not at the whim of whatever the government at the time decides to allocate it from tax take.

I have always paid for it, but bad management over the years have left it in the state it is in now.Hopefully the water company will sort it out now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,408 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Better we own it rather than some UK water company that would probably buy it,and end up making mega bucks on the backs of our citizens.

Heard on the radio this morning thirteen billion is needed to fix water services.

One or one and a half million or whatever it is houses on the mains I don't see anybody making any kind of bock's out of it,never mind mega bucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

kneemos wrote: »
    Sell it to the Arabs.

They're only interested in sand apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

It's already fully publicly owned and maintained, with massive duplication between councils and Irish Water.

Keep it in public ownership, sure, but it doesn't matter a damn who maintains it. Anything would be an improvement on the current situation in that regard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Maybe we could also have a vote on ownership of the telecoms infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Well if everyone pays including social housing recipients and private renters I might consider a charge. But I will not be compliant with a large swathe of people not paying just because they are on payments from the State ie me and others paying for them too either.

Happened with the property tax, not going to happen again for me anyway. So there!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Well if everyone pays including social housing recipients and private renters I might consider a charge.

giphy.webp

Advertisement