Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Peter Casey's beliefs of Travellers' ethnicity Part II

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

Lisdoonvarna was ignored in favour of some hotelier who agreed to take them in.

Next Septembers matchmaking Festival might be interesting.

It is often remarked that 'diversity' is the unwanted present that the middle classes bestow onto the working classes.

Here, the Elites bestow all their half-baked & ill thought out pet projects/issues onto the very people that brought back this country from the brink.

The Coping Class. The people who do the right thing,pay their taxes & try to raise the few kids they have the right way.

And for what?

To pay for a whole shower of self entitled wastrels, to do as they like with zero consequences.

This is why Casey got my vote.

I really hope the tide is turning against the 'Entitled Ones'.

**** them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 mikhail gorbachev2

It is often remarked that 'diversity' is the unwanted present that the middle classes bestow onto the working classes.

Here, the Elites bestow all their half-baked & ill thought out pet projects/issues onto the very people that brought back this country from the brink.

The Coping Class. The people who do the right thing,pay their taxes & try to raise the few kids they have the right way.

And for what?

To pay for a whole shower of self entitled wastrels, to do as they like with zero consequences.

**** them!

FYI The lisdoonvarna Project has been a all round success
    some women form Clare married refugees
    Ireland is an open progressive modern EU country

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

And for what?

**** them!

Well said.

FYI The lisdoonvarna Project has been a all round success
    some women form Clare married refugees
    Ireland is an open progressive modern EU country

Ireland is an open progressive modern EU country with an inordinate amount of wasters sucking at the teat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 mikhail gorbachev2

Ireland is an open progressive modern EU country with an inordinate amount of wasters sucking at the teat.

well if refugees can integrate in clare they can integrate anywhere, like in Rooskey,
    open your borders fellow irish brothers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,073 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Edward M wrote: »
    They have to go somewhere I know.
    My point is that for any social outings, like say swimming, cinema, virtually any form of entertainment outside the hotel, they'll have to be brought to Longford or Carrick on Shannon.
    I don't know how much freedom they are allowed, but in Rooskey there's nothing.

From the 'warzones' they left Rooskey would be like Las Vegas.

well if refugees can integrate in clare they can integrate anywhere, like in Rooskey,
    open your borders fellow irish brothers

Are you working, paying taxes & in general contributing to society Mikhail?

Just to put us all in the picture like.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Here's a question from a leftie who has no beef with travellers generally: What the hell is the point of "traveller specific accommodation"? I've never understood this one. The definition of a traveller surely involves travelling nomadically - in which case, the provision of halting sites etc makes total sense. But the whole "settled traveller" thing is entirely lost on me, tbh. If a traveller decides to give up the nomadic lifestyle, permanently or otherwise, surely that individual just becomes a non-travelling Irish person, and therefore if he or she doesn't have the means to buy a house on the market, should apply for a council house like everyone else in that position?

The existence of concepts such as "traveller specific accommodation" and "settled travellers" are part of the problem IMO. As someone who has nothing against travellers, I do find the whole concept of the Traveller "identity" (Traveller with a capital "T") moronic - they should be regarded for the sake of policy as Irish people who choose to live a certain lifestyle, rather than that lifestyle being a core part of one's identity. It's not like a demographic attribute, a sexuality, or a disability, for example - ideally it should be considered something which anyone can choose to adopt, and likewise anyone can choose to give up. A nomadic lifestyle - nothing more, nothing less.

In my view, a lot of the issues around this would cease to be viewed in the same way if being a traveller was regarded as a lifestyle attribute rather than a demographic one. The state should facilitate the lifestyles which people in it choose to live, via, for example, providing places for people to park mobile homes and so on, but I for one don't think the state should regard it as a fundamental aspect of identity politics, and provide (to take one obvious example) segregated "traveller specific housing" for travellers who no longer want to be travellers. They should be considered part of the general social housing list.

The concept of Travellers with a capital T is something I regard as contributing nothing but conflict and unhappiness to the world. Live and let live, absolutely, but sub-divisions of the Irish identity are unnecessary when we're just talking about lifestyle choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭mattser

Just in from work and nothing's changed.

Here's a question from a leftie who has no beef with travellers generally: What the hell is the point of "traveller specific accommodation"? I've never understood this one. The definition of a traveller surely involves travelling nomadically - in which case, the provision of halting sites etc makes total sense. But the whole "settled traveller" thing is entirely lost on me, tbh. If a traveller decides to give up the nomadic lifestyle, permanently or otherwise, surely that individual just becomes a non-travelling Irish person, and therefore if he or she doesn't have the means to buy a house on the market, should apply for a council house like everyone else in that position?

The existence of concepts such as "traveller specific accommodation" and "settled travellers" are part of the problem IMO. As someone who has nothing against travellers, I do find the whole concept of the Traveller "identity" (Traveller with a capital "T") moronic - they should be regarded for the sake of policy as Irish people who choose to live a certain lifestyle, rather than that lifestyle being a core part of one's identity. It's not like a demographic attribute, a sexuality, or a disability, for example - ideally it should be considered something which anyone can choose to adopt, and likewise anyone can choose to give up. A nomadic lifestyle - nothing more, nothing less.

In my view, a lot of the issues around this would cease to be viewed in the same way if being a traveller was regarded as a lifestyle attribute rather than a demographic one. The state should facilitate the lifestyles which people in it choose to live, via, for example, providing places for people to park mobile homes and so on, but I for one don't think the state should regard it as a fundamental aspect of identity politics, and provide (to take one obvious example) segregated "traveller specific housing" for travellers who no longer want to be travellers. They should be considered part of the general social housing list.

The concept of Travellers with a capital T is something I regard as contributing nothing but conflict and unhappiness to the world. Live and let live, absolutely, but sub-divisions of the Irish identity are unnecessary when we're just talking about lifestyle choices.

Apparently, there entitled to keep their pets along with them.

It doesn't matter if there's Horses, Antelopes, Loins or if they choose to keep a Hippo in their property.

Herds or wild weildebest roaming through the plains.

IT. ALL. HAS. TO .BE. SORTED.FOR .THEM.

Why?:confused:

Just let them go somewhere else that will take them.

IT'S THEIR RIGHTS!!!! Godamit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭questionmark?

only 9.9% voted for casey

Am ya thats incorrect and you know it. Official results show a completely differant result.
    If you claim this based on turnout it's just as easy to say if everyone voted the percentage split would be the same in other words stop making up **** to suit your agenda. And no I didn't vote for Casey.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Apparently, there entitled to keep their pets along with them.

It doesn't matter if there's Horses, Antelopes, Loins or if they choose to keep a Hippo in their property.

Herds or wild weildebest roaming through the plains.

IT. ALL. HAS. TO .BE. SORTED.FOR .THEM.

Why?:confused:

Just let them go somewhere else that will take them.

IT'S THEIR RIGHTS!!!! Godamit.

But even if this was the case, why the concept of "traveller specific accomodation" as opposed to merely being on the housing list with the aforementioned criteria? Again, if a traveller chooses to settle, then by definition they are no longer a traveller. I have no issue with halting sites, and I have no issue with settled travellers being on the council list for social or affordable housing if they need it, but I don't understand the concept of building houses or flats and saying "these ones are specifically only for this particular demographic". That in and of itself, in my view, is a problem - it contributes to the ongoing segregation of travellers from Irish society by accepting, rather than challenging, the notion that they're fundamentally different as people from the rest of us, as opposed to being - as in my view and I'm sure in many others - merely Irish people who live a particular lifestyle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

only 9.9% voted for casey

Only 0.005% of people in the entire world voted for Casey.

Am I doing this right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

An ESRI report published last month highlighted the “extreme disadvantage” suffered by Travellers across a range of indicators, including health, housing, education, employment and mortality.

Recognition of Traveller ethnicity “could be of considerable benefit in ensuring respect for the cultural identity of Travellers in the context of targeted services,” it said.

Those disadvantages are brought on by themselves and continue because of themselves.
    Omackeral wrote: »
    The last paragraph you put up is literally an opinion piece and the first two words are ''ubiquitous racism''. So that's bollox on two counts. The main body of the text lists consanguineous marriage as one of the main factors of them being distinct. Basically, that means they're riding their cousins. Cry about that if you want, that's a crude but factual definition of it. So being inbred is essentially one the main reasons why we're all supposed to say they're a different ''race''. Fantastic.

Just quoting this post so people will open their eyes up a bit to the farce.
    Cousins marrying each other is to be protected but then they're also whinging about their health?! There's a reason why inbreeding is discouraged, frowned upon, disgusting.
    It's not the fault nor should it be the responsibility of the rest of us that the children of 2 travellers, who are related, have serious health problems caused by the fact that their parents are related.

erica74 wrote: »
    Cousins marrying each other is to be protected but then they're also whinging about their health?! There's a reason why inbreeding is discouraged, frowned upon, disgusting.
    It's not the fault nor should it be the responsibility of the rest of us that the children of 2 travellers, who are related, have serious health problems caused by the fact that their parents are related.

Around 40 percent of Traveller marriages are between first cousins, which, over generations, can lead to a wide range of congenital defects. But this is also part of the "Traveller culture" that the likes of Tubridy now regard as sacrosanct.

Suggest that Traveller girls should not be marrying their first cousins at age 16 and you're likely now to be called a racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Omackeral wrote: »
    The last paragraph you put up is literally an opinion piece and the first two words are ''ubiquitous racism''. So that's bollox on two counts. The main body of the text lists consanguineous marriage as one of the main factors of them being distinct. Basically, that means they're riding their cousins. Cry about that if you want, that's a crude but factual definition of it. So being inbred is essentially one the main reasons why we're all supposed to say they're a different ''race''. Fantastic.

You missed the follow up piece from the same author.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/when-will-there-be-an-official-apology-to-the-traveller-community-1.3634335

Agenda perhaps? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,335 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Ri_Nollaig wrote: »

Such a terribly written partisan piece of trash with no basis in reality. I think I'm less intelligent after reading it. This person is describing travellers as "indigenous", we're all Irish, the "settled community" didn't invade traveller land and impose its lifestyle on them. Their "culture" only stretches back a couple of hundred years.
    The victim mentality and abdication of responsibility outlined in that article are central to the travellers mentality and the problems they create for themselves.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

Absolutely dreadful pointless article.
    Its the child pschycologists fault for trying to get official diagnosis for travellers so they can access learning support, ie treat them the same as other children thus giving them equal opportunity.

Maybe the author could acknowledge if children are coming to school dirty then they need to be showered for the sake of the other children and staff, its not all about traveller children, other people in the school have rights too.

Wouldnt all travellers have medical cards so whats with the moasning about appalling health treatment. As an inbred group you will have serious health problems, you have been told marrying first cousins is not good breeding practice but you dint want to integrate so you continue to do this and then place a huge cist on the health service.

I am sorry I clicked on this article, such a navel gazing essay in self pity.

I have nothing to apologise to the travelling community for and I want to be asked for my opinion should the State apologise on my behalf.

I have never heard traveller spokespeople apologise for the terrorism they have committed on elderly people.

Lets have a conversation about that, are you listening editor of The Irish Times.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,720 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Around 40 percent of Traveller marriages are between first cousins, which, over generations, can lead to a wide range of congenital defects. But this is also part of the "Traveller culture" that the likes of Tubridy now regard as sacrosanct.

Suggest that Traveller girls should not be marrying their first cousins at age 16 and you're likely now to be called a racist.

Know a lad working in the prison service asked me if I ever saw a traveller that had really obvious congenital defects. He said there was 'a reason' you don't. I'll let people draw their own conclusions.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,043 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

tretorn wrote: »
    Absolutely dreadful pointless article.
    Its the child pschycologists fault for trying to get official disgnoses fir travellers so they can access learning support, ie treat them the same as other children thus giving them equal opportunity.
    Maybe the author could acknowledge if children are coming to school dirty then they need to be showered for the sake of the other children and staff, its not all about traveller children, other people in the school have rights too.
    Wouldnt all travellers have medical cards so whats with the mosning about appalling health treatment. As an inbred group you will have serious health problems, you have been told marrying first cousins is not good breeding practice but you dint want to integrate so you continue to do this and then place a huge cist on the health service.
    I am sorry I clicked on this article, such a navel gazing essay in self pity.
    I have nothing to apologise to the travelling community for and I want to be asked for my opinion should the State apologise on my behalf.
    I have never heard traveller spokespeople apologise for the terrorism they have committed on elderly people.
    Lets have a conversation about that, are you listening editor of The Irish Times.

Those stults won’t listen tre, but I’ll tell you this,those in power better listen to Middle Ireland, and take heed of the jump Mr Casey got in the vote when he did some straight talking,and stopped pussyfooting around issues.

Otherwise these honchos will be gonzo, and they know that.

• Advertisement

mgn wrote: »
    What happened to all the do-gooders that were going to give them rooms in there houses and give them houses or flats the were not using?
    Shower of muppets.Its okay to say open up the borders and welcome everyone in as long as there not beside me. Send them all down the west out of our sight.

They discovered AirBnB

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/when-will-there-be-an-official-apology-to-the-traveller-community-1.3634335

The article, see linked was published prior to people getting out and voting the way they did.

These articles provoke people, the cheek asking us to apologise to travellers when they engage in intimidation and aggravated burglary against people who work hard for the possessions in their homes and fit alarms so these few bits and pieces wont be robbed while they are at work. Its terrible to think your first thought is gratitude that none of your family were at home before these gangs high on drugs and alcohol arrive.

Im not sure the like of this partisan article will be published in future, you cant ignore 347,000 potential customers of your rag of a paper and the Irish Times like everyone else(except Francie) can no longer ignore the feelings of the general population.

There should be a comment section under partisan article like this giving people a right to reply.

The travellers certainly dont have a minority status when getting access to having their self pitying articles published in the Irish Times, enough already.

Do Pavee Point have halting sites? Ones where nomadic travellers can move around the country without having to illegally park up on private land. Surely with the funding they get aswell as the money specifically set aside for travellers accommodation, they could purchase land and maintain it themselves privately.

And I agree with hatpatrick, once travellers choose to reside in long term fixed abodes, they shouldn’t be treated any differently to everyone else or receive special treatment ie: houses built just for them. Join the list like anyone else who requires social housing.

Oh, if any of you want to forget about the woes of daily life for a week may I suggest signing up to a game of werewolf. It’s completely mad but loads of fun. https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057925031/1

• Registered Users Posts: 21,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I watched the late late show appearance of Casey, finally, last night.
    By god I'm glad he didn't win.

As someone who voted for Casey I'm glad my vote achieved what I wanted (bringing these issues to the discussion table) but equally now I've seen his "performance" on the LL I'm glad he didnt win!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

tretorn wrote: »
    I suppose it wil send a message to other people planning to come that they will end up in the middle of nowhere with limited broadband.

The streets won’t be paved with gold, they will be muddy three hundred days of the year and asylum seekers will be sitting in a grotty hotel all day everyday.

How much is this costing us, probably sixty to eighty million.

I don't think that really comes into the thinking tbh. Dept. Justice sees asylum as a problem to be managed and not encouraged which is the reason we have direct provision. It allows the state to meet it's international treaty obligations without creating a pull factor. The establishment of this policy saw numbers of asylum seekers collapse overnight. Places like Roosky offer cheap, readymade accommodation, with willing owners ready to rent. The department has yet again acted extremely cynically though, announcing this publicly at the 11th hour. The process for acquisition of this property you'd be looking at close to a year minimum, given how fast the civil service operates.

On a broader note, there does seem to be a concerted effort in some quarters of the media to dismantle what had been a successful policy of direct provision through a distortion of the facts around it. Anyone in the system more than 18months has had their case heard and is appealing the decision arrived with regards to their status.

They have purchased up Rathkeale and are approaching homeowners there to buy even more land.

I cant even give my child money tfor a deposit for a house without questions being asked by Revenue re tax and yet the minority group can buy houses for cash.

How can I get minority status, we have ginger hair in our genes and we are smaller than average. Could that qualify me for ethnic status.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Know a lad working in the prison service asked me if I ever saw a traveller that had really obvious congenital defects. He said there was 'a reason' you don't. I'll let people draw their own conclusions.

Know a nurse in The Coombe who could tell you stories that would rot your balls right off about this very thing. Its not so much "cleansing" as "ah just leave it for the state, its not right".

Prosecutions? Hahahahahahaha yeah.

nullzero wrote: »
    Such a terribly written partisan piece of trash with no basis in reality.

Written by someone who spent ten years working for Pavee Point, btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,489 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Mod: FrancieBrady's threadban lifted after discussion on condition that the 10% electorate vote will not be brought up again

• Advertisement

:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement