Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Snow and Ice Warning : Thursday/Friday 7th/8th December

1313233343537»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Now I wish Boards had a "Bookmark Post for future reference" button.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

MJohnston wrote: »
    Now I wish Boards had a "Bookmark Post for future reference" button.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Had a few snow showers about an hour ago - not sticking though last nights bits still holding on around the edges.

Gone noticebly colder in the last hour.

South Sligo

90m asl

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭grenouille1966

Why?

Absolutely bitter in Dublin. 2 degrees here in Blanchardstown. 3 degrees max today in Portmarnock.

I would say there will be significant snow at least for a while in Dublin suburbs on Saturday night/Sunday but less or a mix of sleet/snow in city centre or by the coast.
    It looks very promising for the Midlands and East and North where it is currently coldest. High ground in Munster should get some good snowfall also (above 300/500 metres) but it will be rain elsewhere in the South including Wexford I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Absolutely bitter in Dublin. 2 degrees here in Blanchardstown. 3 degrees max today in Portmarnock.

I would say there will be significant snow at least for a while in Dublin suburbs on Saturday night/Sunday but less or a mix of sleet/snow in city centre or by the coast.
    It looks very promising for the Midlands and East and North where it is currently coldest. High ground in Munster should get some good snowfall also (above 300/500 metres) but it will be rain elsewhere in the South including Wexford I feel.

So how does that have any relevance to Clonmel's post?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭grenouille1966

fraxinus1 wrote: »
    Expecting nothing from Sunday’s event. Just back from walking the dogs and it has turned noticeably milder compared to earlier. Pleasant enough out of the breeze. Talking to a roads council worker earlier and he said that he has heard no talk of significant snow for Donegal for Sunday although they will be gritting tonight and tomorrow night for frosty and icy conditions.

I heard Siobhan Ryan on the radio earlier. I have a feeling she will regret using words like dump and significant.... we shall see. When it comes to weather I always like to be proven wrong.[/quot

Just talking to my niece in Edinburgh. 4 degrees and sunny. Not a flake. Belfast got a good covering today however

Statistically Belfast gets more snow that Edinburgh and infinitely more than London where it practically never snows.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Watching BBC news now and can't believe the amount of snow up North in the past 24 hours. A different world.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

Drove from Westport to Belfast today. Snow cover in Charlestown and a little around Sligo. Enniskillen to Belfast 2/3 inches. Serious snow coming down in Belfast. That magical thick flakes. Proper sneachta. Driving back Sunday. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,102 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Lovely rain and 3.8c here in West Clare now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Some dustings of snow on the way down to Cork today, especially in Kildare and Laois, and the Dublin Mountains. A good few snow showers as well during the journey.

Still very chilly here in Cork but mostly dry, any showers are of rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,876 ✭✭✭pauldry

Went up to 5c a while ago in Sligo town now 4.5c but still looks as if the frostless winter will continue

Is Global Warming when you have a cold spell with hail instead of snow n no frost? Or is that just marine influence?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

pauldry wrote: »
    Went up to 5c a while ago in Sligo town now 4.5c but still looks as if the frostless winter will continue

Is Global Warming when you have a cold spell with hail instead of snow n no frost? Or is that just marine influence?

You will get frost soon, can't contribute what you alone are experiencing to global warming, what you are seeing now will likely be the problem come Sunday for coastal east coast I.e the Marine influence you mention.
    Currently 0.5c here in Dublin and all iced over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Sunday and monday could end up being a snowfest ❄️❄️❄️❄️

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Can make out the snow covering in today's Sat Pic from NASSA

QPuUK7X.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

The whole northern third of the country looks to have been affected, pretty good for a north westerly and definitely more than I was expecting.

Had a light dusting here in north Kildare but nothing interesting and it quickly melted, March 2013 still the last time I've really seen any snow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Nothing here or for most of the south of the country. In fact last Friday was a much harder frost and that was nothing out of the blue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

Finally Tipperary has been mentioned by Gerry Murphy when speaking on the Six One News while listing the counties that will be affected. He just picked out Tipperary as one of the main counties that could get 3 to 4 cm of snow. Can't wait to see the first flake fall. No Sleep for me tonight. Yee Lee.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,102 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

natashaob6 wrote: »
    Finally Tipperary has been mentioned by Gerry Murphy when speaking on the Six One News while listing the counties that will be affected. He just picked out Tipperary as one of the main counties that could get 3 to 4 cm of snow. Can't wait to see the first flake fall. No Sleep for me tonight. Yee Lee.

It was mentioned in the 1pm news as well, however it's only the north of Tipperary.

This is also the wrong thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

Nothing here or for most of the south of the country. In fact last Friday was a much harder frost and that was nothing out of the blue.
    Looks like we are going to get an early Christmas present in the form of 3 to 4 cm of the white gold by tomorrow morning. Looks like the long wait is finally going to be over for us snow starved posters. Enjoy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Think I will close this one now folks , all eyes on the prize below ( Tonight and Tomorrows thread in the link below )

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=105510304#post105510304

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement