Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Conor McGregor

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Looks like he has a new friend in kenflo aswell going by twitter :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,472 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

scudzilla wrote: »
    No chance on him being a main event, and rightfully so, let him have a couple more fights first.

Ah yeah, he better be on the main card at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Let's not get ahead of ourselves lads. A fight v Korean Zombie is a HUGE step up. Nothing wrong with him having a couple more fights in the division before starring to go up against the big boys.

One thing is for sure, Zuffa know they have a star on their hands. Not only a guy with skills, but a guy who is extremely marketable! And a guy who has the potential to become the best combat sportsman to have ever come from this island. (So much for not getting ahead of ourselves :p )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

" The Boston event is a UFC on Fox booking, which guarantees a larger viewing audience due to the lack of pay-per-view fees. Should McGregor's bout be aired, he will be available to over 90 million homes. "

http://www.espn.co.uk/ufc/sport/story/201185.html#

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Dave 101

" The Boston event is a UFC on Fox booking, which guarantees a larger viewing audience due to the lack of pay-per-view fees. Should McGregor's bout be aired, he will be available to over 90 million homes. "

http://www.espn.co.uk/ufc/sport/story/201185.html#

cha-ching!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭alanrebelsw

Ken Egan got chewed out on twitter as well as some jorno who c mc said i will see u soon...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,908 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

The way i can see it is he'll fight on the Boston Card in August, if he comes through that fine then a much higher profile fight in December. Then if he wins that, i reckon we could have a title fight here in Dublin around March/April time

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭nino1

The way i can see it is he'll fight on the Boston Card in August, if he comes through that fine then a much higher profile fight in December. Then if he wins that, i reckon we could have a title fight here in Dublin around March/April time

calm down there with the premature title fight call!
    He has a long long way to go before a title fight should even be mentioned.
    He had an awesome preformance but the way some people here are getting carried away with themselves talking about fighting aldo next and title fights is ridiculous!
    He has only been tested on the ground twice in his professional career and been subbed pretty easily.
    Now, thats mainly because he has been ko'ing people left right and centre and it was 3 years ago but much will depend on how much his ground game has come on since then.
    With any luck the UFC will give him very gradual step ups in class and baby him a bit like they did with jon jones.
    Very cool to see an irish fighter coming through with such promise but lets not lose the run of ourselves!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Yeah march 17th obv!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,908 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

nino1 wrote: »
    He has a long long way to go before a title fight should even be mentioned.
    He had an awesome preformance but the way some people here are getting carried away with themselves talking about fighting aldo next and title fights is ridiculous!
    He has only been tested on the ground twice in his professional career and been subbed pretty easily.
    Now, thats mainly because he has been ko'ing people left right and centre and it was 3 years ago but much will depend on how much his ground game has come on since then.
    With any luck the UFC will give him very gradual step ups in class and baby him a bit like they did with jon jones.
    Very cool to see an irish fighter coming through with such promise but lets not lose the run of ourselves!!

Why calm down? I've been saying for a LONG time that he's a future UFC champ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Why calm down? I've been saying for a LONG time that he's a future UFC champ

The standard at the top is way way higher than he's been near so let's give him a chance to keep evolving and reach his full potential, then we'll see what he can do.

As it stands now he's on the ladder and that's great, would be amazing to see an Irish champ but let's get a win v a top ranked fighter before we start putting unnecessary pressure on him.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Getting Aldo over for a title fight is very optimistic. He is a very popular fighter and the UFC keep those fighters for fights on US time.

Ireland could get a title fight but I think it would be the flyweight or bantamweight title fight. It all depends on who is champion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭EvanCornwallis

Clearly you know nothing whatsoever about Irish sport.

London-Olympics-2.jpg

Wow, one gold . I do apologize , and we all know the depth talent and importance of women's sports.

After ur aldo next comment how do u expect anyone to take u seriously...rofl

• Registered Users Posts: 12,186 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I think there's a bit of a green mist descending around here, talk of a title shot within 2-3 fights!

Fair enough FW isn't that stacked, and I'm as much a McGregor fan as anyone. But we really need to answer the question that faces every fighter from this side of the water. How good is his wrestling?

Let's not forget that the likes of Clay Guida and Frankie Edgar are in the same division. I know Frankie has been better known for standing and trading lately, but he still has the wrestling to change to a smothering tactic if he was getting beaten in the standup. And Guida has sadly become a complete blanket of a fighter lately.

I don't think we can claim McGregor as a title contender until he has faced off against one of the high level wrestlers in the division.

I would love nothing more than seeing him with the belt, and if he gets to a title shot I'll beg, borrow or steal to make it to the event wherever it may be. But people need to let the buzz settle and look at this without bias!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Wow, one gold . I do apologize , and we all know the depth talent and importance of women's sports.

One gold? Try 5 world and european titles..Taylor would match any guy at her weight. She's as dedicated to boxing as any male professional boxer. Cop on to yourself.

Regarding the McGregor victory, great show from Conor. Delighted for him and wish him all the success in the world. Bit early for talks of a title shot though lads!

After ur aldo next comment how do u expect anyone to take u seriously...rofl

That was a sarcastic comment. You're not very bright ,

Rolf .

As you'd put it.

ElChe32 wrote: »
    One gold? Try 5 world and european titles..Taylor would match any guy at her weight. She's as dedicated to boxing as any male professional boxer. Cop on to yourself.

Regarding the McGregor victory, great show from Conor. Delighted for him and wish him all the success in the world. Bit early for talks of a title shot though lads!

Yes, one gold medal for your country. Is that a fact or did I miss another ?

Ha easy to say now,and no I'm not very bright, I'm extremely bright :)

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭feelpablo

Im still not sure Brock wasnt fighting at the weekend by the way things are on this forum at the minute :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭UncleChael

nino1 wrote: »

His ground game has come on immensely in that timeframe, he's a purple belt now and seems very focused on that aspect of his game, he also choked out Dave Hill which was a huge indicator of how much his ground game has developed.

I completely agree with you though that he should not be rushed, I think he'll be champ aswell someday but all in good time!

• Yes, one gold medal for your country. Is that a fact or did I miss another ?

Was feeling good reading this thread until you started to talk

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

What's the story with the lack of civil debate in this place the last few days?

Conor had an impressive debut but people talking of Aldo fights are delusional. He's had 1 fight that lasted 60 seconds.. A long way off I think.

Will be looking into getting tickets for Boston though so would be nice to see his talent continue!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Absolutely delighted for him and his performance.

I was one of the more cautious people having seen Brimage fight in Toronto against a hyped Jimmy Hettis, I knew Conor had the talent but there was always the danger with all the hype and pre fight stuff.

I think it would be interesting against a higher ranked wrestler, maybe Clay Guida?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭p to the e

I think Andy Ogle is a good shout for a next opponent. Both young fighters with lots of exposure (Andy was on TUF) and both coming off a win. Diego Brandao who was on the same card as McGregor could be a decent matchup aswell.

• p to the e wrote: »
    I think Andy Ogle is a good shout for a next opponent. Both young fighters with lots of exposure (Andy was on TUF) and both coming off a win. Diego Brandao who was on the same card as McGregor could be a decent matchup aswell.

Andy Ogle, pff would be a walkover. Brandao on the other hand would be a serious test. Clay Guida is another level up again, we dont want him doing what he did to pettis and derailing the hype train!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

I think Brandao would give him some trouble. The kid is a heavy brawler and showed incredible knockout abilities in TUF house. Black belt in Jiu-Jitsu too.

It'd be a contender for fight of the night either way but sure Conor said he didn't want that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Dennis Bermudez?

Brandao I think is hot and cold, I would fancy Conor in that fight but still a decent shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

I think there is a huge amount of pressure on him to perform which is unfair in my opinion.I've seen none of his fights before Saturdays all I seen was very one sided quick fight.

Its great to see a Irish guy do well in the UFC but I think we should get off the hype and let him train with out the pressure from the fans.

He is everywhere Dana is praising him he's on all the news sites.Its too much too fast for him I think.

Don't get me wrong I want to see him do well but I don't want to see him get fights he's not ready for and fall flat on his face.

He said he don't want fight of the nights he wants one sided fights.I don't train MMA but I would assume you need to get a good hiding at some stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Fair play to Conor, excellent performance and great to see his hard work pay off. He is a great character and exactly what the UFC needs.

I was really surprised to see Brimmage trying to stand with him. He was obviously riled up by the heckling and the weigh in but he should have known better. I thought with his wrestling skills he would throw a punch and then go for the takedown but he didn't seem to even try it. I know that Conor was moving a lot and made it extremely difficult but I thought a few times he had it set up but didn't go for it - perhaps the few knees Conor threw had put him off.

Anyhow, fingers crossed he gets another fight soon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement