Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Project: Payment for altering taglines.

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I don't like the idea of blocking people out from certain forums because they aren't paying members.

I'd agree that all members of boards should be able to post on every forum. Boards.ie premium could supply some other ancilliary services such as e-mail addresses etc.
    reduced admission price at boards beer events?

And I'm sure that the premium members would be the ones most eager to donate a few quid to boards cause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭deco

Originally posted by Bard

Changing other people's taglines shouldn't be a part of these "premium services" - believe it or not, this, as an option, could possibly drive people away from the site.

• Personalised (pre-approved by admins) avatar

Have to agree completely...

But personalised avatars?

customavatars.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by deco

Have to agree completely...

But personalised avatars?

customavatars.jpg

well- if they're paid-for, it gives the admins a reason to take the time to actually approve/deny said particular avatars, doesn't it? I can't see this generating too much extra work for them, tbh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ Halle Nervous Cockroach

Custom Avatars/locked Avatars

You could pay money for exclusive use of one avatar.....

i pay 4 euro per year and my avatar is what ever i want it to be and no one else could use it but me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Agree with Searrard, I would pay so that nobody else could use the fish avatar. Do not agree with the changing other peoples tagline idea, this could bring flaming to a whole new level. Would also agree with those in a private board paying for the service.

It's not as if peeps are asked for much here and a couple of yoyos every now and again isn't gonna break the bank.

Could you make this service payable also by Laser ?
    What would the company name that this is billed to on our statements ? Wouldn't want [glow=3]Hot nekkid women dancin'[/glow] appearing on any of my bills - Joint accounts and all that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by Thanx 4 The Fish
    Agree with Searrard, I would pay so that nobody else could use the fish avatar. Do not agree with the changing other peoples tagline idea, this could bring flaming to a whole new level. Would also agree with those in a private board paying for the service.

Is there not any provision in the license terms of vBulletin that prohibits you from re-selling it? If so, surely charging for private boards would contravene that...

Mind you I could be wrong of course, I'd just imagine it'd be a standard clause..

What would the company name that this is billed to on our statements ? Wouldn't want [glow=3]Hot nekkid women dancin'[/glow] appearing on any of my bills - Joint accounts and all that ;)

"Spin Solutions" surely?

or... isn't there a "Boards.ie Ltd."? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Dazzer

Boards.ie I imagine as it is a registered company with directors and a company secretary en all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Originally posted by Bard
    Is there not any provision in the license terms of vBulletin that prohibits you from re-selling it? If so, surely charging for private boards would contravene that...
    Reselling the software, not access to your forum.

Otherwise Somethingawful.com would be in a fair bit of bother.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

hmmm some interesting ideas...

The idea with the "changin others tagline" is that it would "encourage" people to protect their taglines by subscribing.
    If the tagline means so much to someone then 5 euro isnt a lot to ask for that privilege. We might look at protecting new users until they are 6 months here first!

Mail and other "premium" services...
    In general we are all committed to keeping boards free and all normal boards would (as far as I am concerned) remain free, of course. The only one I have ever thought about turning into a subscribed zone is Admin, but we have currently decided against that. (the thinking behind that was "why should you get to have a say how the site is run if you arent willing to support it").
    Anyway, I dont think that will happen.

as regarding: Mail and Webspace and the like... Yes this is more of what we were thinking. Mail and webspace would have to be tied to your boards account. Imagine if Thanx For All The Fish and Bard were both called "Simon"... now who gets first refusal on simon@boards.ie??

Anyway, any shenanigans and we'll just remove the account and keep the money. :)

Any other premium services we could offer? More webspace?
    Higher PM limit?

We're going to do this as an all or nothing package too, you are either in for the lot or not as its too much work to do otherwise (I think...)

Also, premium membership would get you into Boards Beer bashs I reckon (have to think about that! depends how many we do etc)

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

If I pay for premium membership I want a flashy ID card to go with it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Originally posted by DeVore
    The idea with the "changin others tagline" is that it would "encourage" people to protect their taglines by subscribing.
    If the tagline means so much to someone then 5 euro isnt a lot to ask for that privilege. We might look at protecting new users until they are 6 months here first!

Hmmm, still don't think it's a good idea....but..
    as regarding: Mail and Webspace and the like... Yes this is more of what we were thinking. Mail and webspace would have to be tied to your boards account. Imagine if Thanx For All The Fish and Bard were both called "Simon"... now who gets first refusal on simon@boards.ie??

Mail
    Custom Tagline
    Extra/Inscreased Webspace
    Custom Avatar?
    Higher PM's limit.

Yeah, the whole name thing would cause a problem - administration would be a nightmare - might be best to link it to your Boards name.
    Also, premium membership would get you into Boards Beer bashs I reckon (have to think about that! depends how many we do etc)

Woo hoo - if I ever go :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

• Custom Avatar (must be checked by admins)
    • Custom tagline (nothing obscene or offensive)
    • Extra webspace
    • Boards mail
    • reduced prices for boards events
    • discount in the boards store

this can be offset with a 10-20 yoyo per year membership

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Right that sounds like a good bit to get started with. I have confirmation from VBB that we can give you the DB structure (just not the code, which is ok since we want to write our own rather then hack theirs...)

Only thing we are waiting for it VB3 as it changes the DB structure (I bet) and we might as well code for that rather then for this one... I'll have a think about that.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

would €5 a month be too expensive?

and how would payments be made: postal order, credit card??

How about subscriped members can get their name on t-shirts from the Boards store?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Small suggestion.

You could 'pay' to have a pop3 @boards.ie mail account, with say a 5, 7, or 10 megabyte limit (though what you'd be doing with a 10 meg email waiting is anyone's guess).

(or)

If you have diskspace and raid, you could think about providing IMAP. Washington University do a neat IMAP server.

Of course the outbound mail would have to be web-based as you couldn't disjunct 'vaild' as opposed to invalid ips to relay SMTP.

Unless of course you fancy becoming an ISP.

Mods of course for their selfless devotion to boards would get free email accounts. : -)

/oh yeah.

This is where I bags stud@boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Agree with Jaggeh

€10 a year sounds reasonable...

Id prefer to give the money in cash TBH. Im very paranoid with my CC number. If DeVore could give me a postal address, I'd send it straight away.

I wouldnt necessarily want anything in return...I'm just happy to contribute.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Originally posted by Typedef
    You could 'pay' to have a pop3 @boards.ie mail account, with say a 5, 7, or 10 megabyte limit (though what you'd be doing with a 10 meg email waiting is anyone's guess).

I sorted a mail problem for someone the other day which resulted from them having received a 42meg .wav file in the mail.
    If you have diskspace and raid, you could think about providing IMAP. Washington University do a neat IMAP server.

Hrm, imap on a large scale on the same machine as the webserver makes me shudder for a few reasons. Bandwidth needs to be plentiful for IMAP, and if lots of people used it I could see the web server's response times suffering (due to performance reasons as well as bandwidth).
    Of course the outbound mail would have to be web-based as you couldn't disjunct 'vaild' as opposed to invalid ips to relay SMTP.

We are not an ISP (yet at least ;) ), so I would see it being up to the user to just configure outgoing smtp to use their ISPs mail servers. Another option is pop before smtp as a form of weak (but practical) authentication.

I'm sure a web interface to mail would be popular, but they make my skin crawl even more than web based bulletin boards :p

Anybody suggest any that sound good in terms of both features and security?

Perhaps this should be a separate thread.

[ edit to fix quotes ]

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭zenith

Just a suggestion: companies like Zamano have a framework whereby you can use a premium text message to 'pay' for a piece of content. They have an algorithm that you use to validate a passcode sent to an individual phone. Rates go up to EUR1.25 at the mo, I think. Your cut is 50% of that.

Gets around the CC issue, and can be used multiple times to top up for a more expensive service. Everyone's got a mobile phone now.

Actually, now that I think about it, I think The Corinthian's firm does this too, so ...

Saves all the CC integration, allows you to get on with coding: then all you have to do is write the PHP that does the inserts on the db to make the changes, and store accumulated credit in another db.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Just to make my feelings known..

I think letting people change others tag-lines would be a Bad Idea™.

Im all for.. (in order of preference from most wanted to least)
    Couldnt let it pass without having my say ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭ironbrew

Riteo, so has this happened yet, or has DeV changed is mind and decided to scrap the idea altogether.

It seems like an excellent idea.

One thing though, people below 18 like myself don't have credit cards, so this could be a problem for some youth, but not for me as i stole ma's credit card number ages ago,plus she wudnt mind!

*Please don't ate the head off me if i have picked up on something wrong or missed sometihng whilst reading the thread!!

Havent forgotten it, but we are looking at options currently regarding the supporters pack and a few other things came up (like the Boards Trek and the server move!)

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ Haylee Faint Tricycle

Hey DeVore, looks like there are a lot of people tagging along

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

So, u gonna have 3 to protect against 2, and 2 does 1, so wot equivical matter protects 1? and why does Mr Monkey man follow me in my head. Aaaaa the monkey man. Ohhhhhh.

As you can see I really have no idea wot ur on about. :?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The only folks ever able to change *OTHER* users stuff should be Admins...

Oh I do like SQL... All that nice Set Theory.

In a brief moment of insanity I even considered forking out 50 Euro myself, but due to postal Strike thingy in Dublin the Impulse had time to wear off.

Would have been bad if the page after the mega -agreement had had a place to order at once via Credit card.

Perhaps someone needs to give me a pair of sissors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

oldposts.jpg

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

FFS Sposs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement