Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

banie01 wrote: »
    Genius Idea!

@HDMI, thanks for the idea.
    An email and an additional $40 and I have best of both :D
    Should be here in early January and I'm bloody chuffed but no longer left buy any more watches without moving 1 on 1st now :pac:

Haha glad you got what you wanted - I'll still try tempting you with a Starlight later in the year though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,435 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Haha glad you got what you wanted - I'll still try tempting you with a Starlight later in the year though :D

I'll give you my wife's email and you can explain to her that I need it :P

In all seriousness, I will very likely buy...
    But I'm only a poor student/invalid pensioner these days.

Thanks a million for the heads up on HKed too, delighted to have found him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

I've a bit of a dilemma about an orange monster I bought in the early 2000s. I gave it a right knock and now its runs slowly and stops regularly. I wore it daily for years and particularly when diving so it has sentimental value.

As you can see, its well scratched up and the epoxy on the bezel is worn off.

440096.JPG

Do I try and get it repaired by replacing the movement?, the dial rotates slightly in the case now so I suspect the dial feet may have sheared. I see now the 7s26 movement can be replaced with a 4r36 if I don't want a straight swap.

The other option is to buy a replacement that hasn't had such a hard life, prices seem to vary wildly on ebay anything from 400 to 800 euros, are they that sought after ?

what to do repair or replace with another?

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

njburke wrote: »
    what to do repair or replace with another?

Repair, replacement will cost way more.

Pick up an NH36 and throw it in, about £30 from Cousins UK or $40 on eBay. They are set up out of the factory for a 3 o'clock crown set so you would need change the day wheel to match a 4 o'clock crown position. Not an issue if the dial feet are broken just use some sticky dial dots.

Other option for the movement is look for a cheapie watch with a Seiko movement that already has the crown at 4 and just swap it straight in.

I may need some input from you good people!
    Thanks to Thirdfox, I found HKED and his line of Bundeswehr Homage watches.
    The latest model gets released on Monday and there are 4 dial options and 2 bezels, whilst the blue sunburst and panda dials are nice.
    For me it will be the sterile black dial variant, that much I am certain of.
    But I've just learned there will be 2 bezel variants, black and steel.
    The black is the classic of course, but I have the black bezeled U2 so I am leaning towards the steel.
    What say you good folk?
    [IMG][/img]https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=494847&d=1573306990

So I managed to get my own one of these ordered on Sunday as Ed have me an early in as birthday present.
    Watch will be delivered in early January with both the original Black bezel and the silver as a spare ;)

It also ships with a Fulco Rally strap, which is tbh far better quality than I was expecting.
    Will do a detailed and hopefully we'll photographed review when it arrives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,369 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Any of you dudes ever buy from Japanese ebay sellers?

Things like elady

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/elady05/m.html?item=264362920211&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

They keep popping up in my saved searches and the prices look really great. (Even with the potential import VAT added on) - they had an Omega Seamaster 300m quartz with replacement strap for £671 BIN.

Have done a bit of browsing on some watch forums and folks seem to reckon they're legit (some autos might just need a service)

OmegaGene wrote: »

Might make an interesting trip! Thanks OG....

That's a bit unexpected gangsta too :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭barrier86

Think This is the right thread.

16 month old tag aquaracer had to be sent back to tag today. I took it off me over the weekend and went to wind it today but it was really stiff when I unscrewed the crown to wind it. About 4 rotations later the it becomes really easy to turn, but it wasn’t winding the movement.

Back to weirs today with it and they sent it off to tag.

Quite annoying as it’s still fairly new and within warranty.
    Hopefully this isn’t a sign of things to come from it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Have many people here owned a mechanical watch with no second hand? I always thought it was a bit of a waste to not be able to see the sweeping hand, but I've taken a shining to one that I think looks better than the model with a second hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

barrier86 wrote: »
    Think This is the right thread.

16 month old tag aquaracer had to be sent back to tag today. I took it off me over the weekend and went to wind it today but it was really stiff when I unscrewed the crown to wind it. About 4 rotations later the it becomes really easy to turn, but it wasn’t winding the movement.

Back to weirs today with it and they sent it off to tag.

Quite annoying as it’s still fairly new and within warranty.
    Hopefully this isn’t a sign of things to come from it.

I've my Aquaracer 10 years now and i've never had a single issue with it. I think you might have just gotten unlucky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 IamNew

I like the Arsenal sign off OmegaGene :)

A general question for anyone willing to offer their experience:

What options to I have for marking a secure payment when buying face-to-face? I don't want to pay cash. Bank transfers can take a few days so I guess that's ruled out. Is PayPal my only instant payment option?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Meet in your bank branch maybe? There's usually somewhere you could both sit down. Withdraw cash, do the exchange then and there in the branch.

If ye both have Revolut, transfers are free and instant.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    I asked Revolut if a transfer could be reversed for a sale I was doing and she could say yes or no so without feedback/history I wouldn’t accept it as a payment method

I've previously been advised that transfers between Revolut customers are treated as direct SEPA transfers/deposits and only reversible with consent.
    Would wonder if that's changed with what you were advised.

Eoin wrote: »
    Have many people here owned a mechanical watch with no second hand? I always thought it was a bit of a waste to not be able to see the sweeping hand, but I've taken a shining to one that I think looks better than the model with a second hand.

I think there would need to be a pretty special reason for me to accept a mechanical watch without a seconds indicator - the only one that comes to mind would be an ultra thin watch where literally adding a seconds hand would add a few tenths of a millimetre and a large proportional increase in size.

Even in those cases often the seconds hand can be fitted in a subdial without an effect on thickness.

The second hand allows easy visual confirmation of a watch is running, and gliding hands are, as you point out, one part of the attraction of mechanical watches.

Thanks for the feedback all. We're talking €4k. The buyer said he's happy with Revolut so I'm going to open up an account with them and that should work.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

Revolut is grand for picking up a bit of daily shopping and using on holiday but i wouldnt be using it for a 4k private transaction like that, cash all the way.

Hi, I know modding a Rolex is probably considered sacrilegious but I was reading a thread were a few people had fitted 114270 (36mm Explorer) handset to a modern 116000 Oyster Perpetual (369 dial). I think it looks pretty awesome. Anyone know of a watch maker in Ireland (preferably in Dublin or the North East) who could source and fit the handset?

Eoin wrote: »

What was the watch in mind btw?

This is what I mean btw - even most modern ultra thins have a second hand somewhere (and hey if you're a billionaire you can get a minute repeater and flying tourbillon thrown in too)
    https://manofmany.com/fashion/watches/10-thinnest-watches-in-the-world

The Rado in that link doesn't have a second hand - but it's a (relatively) "affordable" ultra thin at 4.9mm and automatic………

Huh just looked into it more and the link is wrong(!) The 4.9mm version is the quartz one - the automatic one is around 7/8mm - still pretty good for thin and minimalist...but 8mm is getting close to 9...which is close to my Sólás baby haha which will have date, seconds etc.

The solas starlight is going to be between 9.4mm and 9.8mm btw - two factories gave competing designs with different specs but for example I would have only considered going without seconds hands if they could offer sub-8mm thickness like the Rado here.

Thirdfox wrote: »
    What was the watch in mind btw?

This is what I mean btw - even most modern ultra thins have a second hand somewhere (and hey if you're a billionaire you can get a minute repeater and flying tourbillon thrown in too)
    https://manofmany.com/fashion/watches/10-thinnest-watches-in-the-world

The Rado in that link doesn't have a second hand - but it's a (relatively) "affordable" ultra thin at 4.9mm and automatic………

Huh just looked into it more and the link is wrong(!) The 4.9mm version is the quartz one - the automatic one is around 7/8mm - still pretty good for thin and minimalist...but 8mm is getting close to 9...which is close to my Sólás baby haha which will have date, seconds etc.

The solas starlight is going to be between 9.4mm and 9.8mm btw - two factories gave competing designs with different specs but for example I would have only considered going without seconds hands if they could offer sub-8mm thickness like the Rado here.

It’s actually a large watch, so size isn’t the issue (Panerai base logo). I’m not wild on the small seconds dial on the other models and I surprised myself by liking the simplicity of just 2 hands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Cienciano wrote: »
    Great macro shot of a Grand Seiko on reddit today

The finishing detail on that is phenomenal, my Rolex doesn't look half as good in a macro shot

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

^^ That's sharp.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

There's a good few clocks up for auction next week if anybody is interested

http://www.victormitchell.com/

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

I made a post a while back about re-luming my Sinn as it'd had been left in a drawer by its previous owner for nearly the entirety of its life and the hands in particular had serious issues with dead spots and blotching.

Wibbs, our doyen of tinkering re: lumes did advise how difficult a job it could be.
    I thought with quite a bit of modelling and electronic soldering experience, that it couldn't be "that" tricky!

I was wrong!
    I've a head mounted magnifier/illuminator, I went and bought some extremely fine brushes and disassembled the watch to get to work!

Wibbs is right, its an absolute bollox of a job to to right!
    No matter what method I tried, brush marks in particular were a pain in the hole!

Then I hit upon an idea, the lume I'm using came in a syringe.
    I have some precision application tips for syringes, usually used for glues.

Tried it, and it worked :)
    For precise fill, excellent control and no brush marks.
    In dials with recessed lume location or with defined areas with a border, it gives an in my inexperienced opinion at least a great alternative to us poor brush handlers.

The tips I'm using are usually used for precision glue application in medical device construction.
    I have a pile of them, if anyone needs or wants any?
    Drop me a PM and I'll post some on.

Draw some of your preferred Lume into a syringe, fit the tip and drip, drip away...

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

All the watches James Bond wore in the films, pretty cool vid -

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

its an absolute bollox of a job to to right!
    Oh yes it is B. Hence I only ever attempt lume that was originally done by hand in the early days of lume(or hands, they're easy). At least then if it goes badly it looks like the original painter had a bad day. :) The precision application tips is a great idea.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Oh yes it is B. Hence I only ever attempt lume that was originally done by hand in the early days of lume(or hands, they're easy). At least then if it goes badly it looks like the original painter had a bad day. :) The precision application tips is a great idea.

I just had the Mrs bring home a box of the extra fine ones today so I have a surfeit of them if anyone wants one ;)

The kinked tip on the dispensing tip gives great control of the fluid, it really is an ideal tool for "flood" application.

Happy to share as I have more than I'll ever use.

496173.jpg
    496174.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Wrecked my Casio W753D-1AV tide graph at work, too much steam and IPA alcohol I think. Cheapo but it lasted 8 years, loved that watch. I went into Argos to get a cheap Casio while waiting for a proper G-Shock tide graph bargain to appear but decided to push the boat and get this for the extra fiver:

https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9106967/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CJewellery+and+watches%7C14416987/c_2/3%7Ccat_15701267%7CMen%27s+watches%7C14417316.htm

Bargain! Looks really good on my hand. I got rid of the horrible World Time and Illuminator wording by scrubbing it with IPA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

By the way how often do G-Shocks with tide graphs or G-Shocks in general pop up as bargains or should I just bite the bullet and pay the going rate?

Advertisement