Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

HTTPS

• 31-01-2015 2:30pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Could you enable HTTPS site wide please. I would be much obliged. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,856 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

+1. Hopefully in a few years, unencrypted protocols like HTTP will be a rarity, if not a thing of the past entirely.

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

+1. Especially with the PM section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Boards.ie: Chris

It's on the list. Infrastructure there's and ready to go (I even have SPDY/whatever-buzzword-they-have-for-HTTP2.0-now support I want to roll out), but unfortunately the vBulletin codebase has not made it a simple task. I'll try and prod it up the list a little bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭obsidianclock

Yes please.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭digitalninja

it should be at the top of the list.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

+1 please.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

it should be at the top of the list.

No it shouldn't.

Any information you on boards is in the public domain. With exception to the PM system and even then the most personal information you should be posting there is an email address or on rare occasions a mobile number.

Boards would be exceptionally low on the list of targets for eavesdroppers.

Far more important things for the guys/gals to be working on, like further boxing vBulletin into its long awaiting coffin.

This is a nice to have but by no means a "top of the list feature"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭obsidianclock

No it shouldn't.

Any information you on boards is in the public domain. With exception to the PM system and even then the most personal information you should be posting there is an email address or on rare occasions a mobile number.

Boards would be exceptionally low on the list of targets for eavesdroppers.

Far more important things for the guys/gals to be working on, like further boxing vBulletin into its long awaiting coffin.

This is a nice to have but by no means a "top of the list feature"

Particularly given when you close your account your posts remain!

As you can see from here, I (and others) requested that they fix this over a year ago. They still haven't got to it. In my opinion that means they don't care about privacy at boards.ie http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=87836009

As you can see from here, I (and others) requested that they fix this over a year ago. They still haven't got to it. In my opinion that means they don't care about privacy at boards.ie http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=87836009

It is on the list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Particularly given when you close your account your posts remain!

it's a discussion forum, ripping out posts from people whom close their accounts would be like ripping out pages of a novel.

doesn't mean that at all and you know it. Boards is a small company with tons of technical debt (vBulletin) if you have any experience with vBulletin you'd know that it really doesn't play well with things like this. This isn't a simple flick the switch and it's on everywhere type of problem.

Boards has HTTPS where it matters, sign up and sign in. I'm sure they'll get to having HTTPS on the rest of the site when they can.

shouldn't have said "don't care" it just doesn't seem very high on the priority list, that's a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Boards has HTTPS where it matters
    Debatable. I'm pretty sure Boards is vunerable to cookie hijacking i.e. I grab your authentication cookie (sent in the clear with every HTTP request), put the cookie on my machine, on my next request I'm logged in as you.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Bit of a bump on this. Recent announcements from wikipedia and reddit that they're going HTTPS only. Any chance we could see boards add HTTPS?
    28064212 wrote: »
    Debatable. I'm pretty sure Boards is vunerable to cookie hijacking i.e. I grab your authentication cookie (sent in the clear with every HTTP request), put the cookie on my machine, on my next request I'm logged in as you.

I'm almost certain that's the case, but I haven't tested it.

but if you've nothing to hide, why on earth would you need HTTPS?
    Better to throw resources at building adverts.ie.

but if you've nothing to hide, why on earth would you need HTTPS?

This is flawed on many levels. Privacy and security should be the norm, not the other way around. Here's a good article on the "I have nothing to hide" fallacy.

Obviously I disagree here. :)

your sarcasm detector is malfunctioning :)

HAHAHA. BALLS. You got me good. :o

Khannie wrote: »
    Bit of a bump on this. Recent announcements from wikipedia and reddit that they're going HTTPS only. Any chance we could see boards add HTTPS?

The new front end is being built with this as one of the core considerations. It's hoped we can get that rolled out in the very near future.

Adverts.ie hasn't been a part of Boards.ie for a number of years and neither has it's development concerns.

The new front end is being built with this as one of the core considerations. It's hoped we can get that rolled out in the very near future.

Great. Thanks. :)

• Advertisement

Bump.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

The Responsive Site is all HTTPS. The Legacy Site however uses Javascript files that are only available on HTTP. It doesn't seem likely that Legacy will be ported to HTTP.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement