Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Increasing Muscle Mass

Options
  • 11-06-2019 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

Howdy! My BMI is 23 and my body fat is estimated at about 10% or thereabouts. My weight is at around 78 kg and my height is 182 cm. I haven't done any kind of weight training in the last 1-2 years. But I'd like to start again. I want to start working on my abs and chest. I don't know a whole lot on the subject, being honest. But as far as I know, the amount of reps and probably sets are important for best results.

So... taking ab crunches and dumb bells for example, how many reps/sets would you recommend for muscle mass?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Not being smart but calories are important for best results.

The right amount of calories and big compound lifts is a good place to start. If you do heavy compound lifts and know how to engage your core properly then you won't have to do ab workouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Cake Man

As above, to build muscle you need to gain weight which essentially means being consistently in a calorie surplus. What does a typical days eating look like for you and how many calories does that equate to? What is your TDEE?

Tbh, you'd be wasting your time just doing chest and ab exercises. You'd end up with maybe a slightly developed chest but your back would be weak as sh!t and twigs for legs. Without trying to sound like a d!ck, don't be that guy who comes to the gym who only does chest and arms - i.e. the disco muscles. They don't know what a squat or deadlift is. These types of people are a meme in the fitness industry.

If you're serious about it, get on a proper program that incorporates all compound lifts like Mars Bar said above, not just bench press. You could do a lot worse than doing a few sessions with a PT to learn the movements properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

To add, if you want to gain muscle mass you need to be in a calorie surplus.
    If you want your abs showing, then you’re going to need to shed weight, so pretty much be in a calorie deficit.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Resistance training + Food

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭rowanh

Mellor wrote: »
    Resistance training + Food

Resistance training (with consistent tracked progress) + (Enough)Food (to gain weight at a steady pace)

The first program I really followed was 5x5 Stronglifts. I think it is good to start out with because you get a spreadsheet that tells you exactly how to progress from workout to workout. Unlike a lot of programs where you will just be given exercises with sets and reps and you need to try and figure out what weight to start with and how to progress.

I would say a few things that are key

Over each week you should be doing your full body as mentioned, not just chest and abs..
    Put effort into really learning the movements properly. Squat, deadlift, bench/overhead press and some kind of rows are the main ones.
    You need to eat enough that you are steadily gaining weight, if you are not you are not building muscle.
    If you are 10% bf and not doing a lot of training you may find it hard to gain weight, you likely will need to put as much effort into eating as lifting. Try and maximise the amount of unprocessed food you are eating. You are literally made out of what you eat..
    You need to constantly progress in your workout, increasing something, this can be weight, reps, sets, exercises, change in tempo etc. But if you do the same exact thing over and over again you won't keep gaining muscle.
    Find a program and do it for at least a few months.
    If you can find someone to work out with it can make things a lot more enjoyable and easy to do. It is good to have someone holding you accountable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭jma

Haha disco muscles :D
    I was asking about upper body because I need to catch up to my legs. Side effect from years of playing football, running and cycling.

But appreciate all the advice. Thanks, guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Gottanage

Standard. For power I'll advise you to do till 5x5, for bodybuilding 4x8 reps. But it's the highest count of reps till you want to loose some weight. You need tio be at least 82 kg.

Advertisement