Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council House Cork

• 11-06-2019 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Can anyone help me with my situation

My mom suffers from arthritis since she was 8 and was on waiting list for hip replacement for years and now is coming up to have it done but we are renting for the last 19 years 1,100 a month she is the only source of income in the house I am in college and my dad is not able to work due to mental health issues they applied for a mortgage years back and have been declined and recently have again my mom has worked threw out her pain and always went in when she thought her days were going to be impossible! I don’t know how we are going to find it to keep up with the bills when my mom has this surgery or will she able to work again. we are in the process of apply for a council house but I know the waiting list is years long and just wondering has anyone ever been in the same situation or who I could talk to? Someone said I should go to my local TD but I don’t think that would works?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Why on earth do people just put any question at all in this forum? How is that feedback? Surely it's not hard to see that "feedback" means opinions regarding Boards.ie

People have given up bothering with the tiniest bit of research.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Emma_995

Lol I’m new here you take a lot of offence in this Jesus my life mustn’t be so bad after all 😊 get a LIFE
    Why on earth do people just put any question at all in this forum? How is that feedback? Surely it's not hard to see that "feedback" means opinions regarding Boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

How about being someway considerate to someone who is asking for advice. You could have pointed them to a better forum, but I’m sure it felt better to give out to them.

OP - I’m moving your thread now to see if we can get you some practical advice.

dudara

Thank you very much

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭whampiri

Going to your local TD won't hurt, but you're right, the likelihood of it helping is minimal.

Have you checked out cheaper places to rent? Applied for social welfare payment? Dropped into your local health service for advice/payment?

It may be that you'll have to move out of the city and I to a smaller house/apartment in Middleton or further out.

Have you applied for a part time job?
    Lastly, depending on the size of the house you're living in, have you thought about subletting a room?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Fol20

You will have a long road ahead of you if you just applying for a council house now. When talking to your local td, i would point out to them your mums health problems and your dads mental health issues to see if they can prioritize you in any way.

Are you able to work and contribute a few hundred a month to the bills. Even if you worked a day a week. It could be as much as 300 a month towards your familys rent.

Yes we have looked for cheaper places and there is not much out there cheaper if not more also who accepts dogs as they can’t go any where else we have no family here and are apart of family! Yes I receive a payment and help out with bills ect...but unfortunately doesn’t help as much

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭corks finest

whampiri wrote: »
    Going to your local TD won't hurt, but you're right, the likelihood of it helping is minimal.

Have you checked out cheaper places to rent? Applied for social welfare payment? Dropped into your local health service for advice/payment?

It may be that you'll have to move out of the city and I to a smaller house/apartment in Middleton or further out.

Lastly, depending on the size of the house you're living in, have you thought about subletting a room?
    Cluid housing association,white st ,Cork will look at your situation with empathy,but first need to go to the council and advise them( when on list) that you want to be coopted onto the Cluid list,as the other op stated- need to contact ( with proof of situation in hand) your lica TDs/ councillors/ doctors,/ citizens advice and ASAP as the lists are growing longer each passing day,good luck girl- feel for ye

I help out at home already I pay 500 euro a month with payments I receive put just won’t help enough! I am just stressed because as she will never get a mortgage how will I ever be able to get on with my life if she can’t get a house now she will never able to!
    Fol20 wrote: »
    You will have a long road ahead of you if you just applying for a council house now. When talking to your local td, i would point out to them your mums health problems and your dads mental health issues to see if they can prioritize you in any way.

Are you able to work and contribute a few hundred a month to the bills. Even if you worked a day a week. It could be as much as 300 a month towards your familys rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭corks finest

Cluid housing association,white st ,Cork will look at your situation with empathy,but first need to go to the council and advise them( when on list) that you want to be coopted onto the Cluid list,as the other op stated- need to contact ( with proof of situation in hand) your local TDs/ councillors/ doctors,/ citizens advice and ASAP as the lists are growing longer each passing day,good luck girl- feel for ye
    Laziness and stupid questions bug me.
    Maybe a bit of empathy,you might have been responding to a young girl with little or no experience of life and only on here as a last measure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭whampiri

I don't envy your position. Try the cluid housing as advised however (and I hate to say this) you may have to look at getting rid of the dogs in order to get a roof over your head .

Before anyone says it, I have had dogs before however there are priorities. Maybe a friend could look after them for a while until your situation improves?

Yes I do understand that if it comes to that I’m sure we will find away... I just wonder will it be better if I apply for housing or her? Or would it not matter? Or even if Cork has rent to buy life would be so much easier!
    I don't envy your position. Try the cluid housing as advised however (and I hate to say this) you may have to look at getting rid of the dogs in order to get a roof over your head .

Before anyone says it, I have had dogs before however there are priorities. Maybe a friend could look after them for a while until your situation improves?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭Old diesel

If your parents meet social housing criteria then they should also qualify for HAP..

It has its issues - and landlords aren't keen on it.

But it IS worth looking into if you are struggling with affordability.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

OP, are you working yourself or are you on social welfare? If not you might be able to claim HAP to contribute towards the rent if your landlord is agreeable?

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭lcwill

Emma_995 wrote: »
    Yes we have looked for cheaper places and there is not much out there cheaper if not more also who accepts dogs as they can’t go any where else we have no family here and are apart of family! Yes I receive a payment and help out with bills ect...but unfortunately doesn’t help as much

No offence but I wouldn't say anything that could give the impression that you need a council house because houses with cheaper rent don't accept dogs.....(I had dogs most of life, so not a dog hater by any means).

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

By the sounds of it you will likely need separate housing applications your parents on one and you on the other if your an adult ,
    Cluid won't deal with people directly you have to be referred by the council once you or your parents are accepted to the housing list and even at that you could well be looking at a 10 + year wait to be housed by them

• Registered Users Posts: 25,594 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Gatling wrote: »
    By the sounds of it you will likely need separate housing applications your parents on one and you on the other if your an adult ,

I had a very similar thought while pondering this situation. what's more, if the OP is now in college, they may be deemed as not having a housing need if they are able to pay €500/month rent-equivalent at the moment. However if it could be shown that they need to live in the house to care for a sick parent, that could change things.

My first question would be: what is the parents plan for dealing with the situation, and indeed for housing themselves once the mother retires. They may well have a plan (eg using savings) that hasn't been shared with the OP as yet, and may not regarded it as the OP's business, even. Some families won't see it that way, but some definitely will.

Next: what income is the mother earning? We don't actually even know if they meet the social housing criteria - though obviously they will short term while she recovers from the surgery. (Have the doctors given any indication of how long recovery is likely to take? Since the mother has been working, she will most likely qualify for Illness Benefit, and will get a qualified-adult payment for the father, too. Whether or not there's a top-up for the OP depends on his/her age, I think.

Who can help? Citizen's Information is one obvious port of call. They have information about benefit rates and approaches. Threshold may have a local office. Vincent de Paul also help with cash / food sometimes. It is worth approaching local voluntary housing associations (Clúid, Respond, etc) - many of their properties are let via the council - but some aren't. Make sure that you have information about the mother's disability, because there are council / social houses which are available to older/disabled which aren't available to others.

Advertisement