Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Saving/Applying for a mortgage 2015/16/17/18/19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,146 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Yeah, BOI seem to be far more interested in lower LTV's. Their rates for 80% and under are great but the standard first time buyer territory of 80-90% is way out of line with the rest of the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

Viewed this morning and love the house, went to bank after with all our details such as recent payslips and p60 and updated salary cert for herself, the advisor said he'd send the application next week? Does this sound weird? We have the deposit saved and a small bit extra, saving 370 a week so the rest of the money will be gathered quickly. Have 15k and around 2k in current accounts so everything else will be okay

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Sure may as well join in the fun.

Got notification that landlord wants to sell the house we've been renting for past 3 yrs, however the rents for smaller properties have gone up in the area 300-500 and I swore that if we ever moved again it would be into our own house.

We've about 5k saved, have 15k gift from parent. We have a car loan that we took out last August (due to necessity) and there's no hope of paying that off anytime soon. Went to see broker and without the loan we'd get approved 170k plus, but with it the max is 147k.

Not a great selection for that price in the areas we are looking in.

So the gun is to the head but don't want to buy a house I'm not happy with just because there are no other options.

That's almost exactly what happened to us Mink except we've been renting the place for 6 years...

Luckily we had just cleared most of our debts, I recently got a decent raise and parents were able to help us out with "gifts" that amounted to enough to pay off the credit card debt and amount to a 28k deposit. Between the new salary and my annual performance bonus, we'll be able to top that up to 31k by the end of the month when our broker is going for approval for us. We're hoping to have that up to around 35k by the end of June when we'll have to move.

With Central Bank rules, even only allowing 7k of that to cover the costs of the move / any essential work on anything we buy, that limits us to about 250k which isn't much of a budget for a family home in Dublin!

We've viewed a couple of properties and there's only one we've viewed asking slightly under that which we're interested in and hoping will still be on the market when we get approval. Having to wait until the end of the month to apply is making February 2016 the longest month in recent memory for us! Mrs Sleepy is terrified the house will sell before we can even get an offer made on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

You can always apply for an exception to the 3.5*rule if you have the deposit saved, 300k opens a lot more potential in Dublin than 250k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

Simona1986 wrote: »
    You can always apply for an exception to the 3.5*rule if you have the deposit saved, 300k opens a lot more potential in Dublin than 250k

Is this not only if your (single) income exceeds €50k per below link?

http://www.mortgages.ie/go/first_time_buyers/how_much_can_i_borrow

It'd be the deposit we have (and the timeframe we're looking to move in limiting our ability to increase that) which limits our borrowing levels more than the income rules tbh but even then, I'm more comfortable in and around the 250k level.

Even leaving aside the facts that my other half is predominantly a stay-at-home mum (which leaves us effectively a single income family) and my hesitance to borrow anything beyond that which I could repay should interest rates take a sharp increase (I've been stress testing my figures at 8/9% rather than the 5/6% the banks seem to use), there's some quality of life issues too.

Wherever we buy we'll want to put our own stamp on it (even if that's just redecorating) and I'd like us to be able to do that without needing to rely on credit cards or giving up all quality of life. We don't live extravagantly but we like to be able to do stuff with the kids at the weekends and family days out get expensive pretty fast as do my two hobbies: craft beer and keeping a coral reef tank) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭kala85

Mink wrote: »
    Sure may as well join in the fun.

Got notification that landlord wants to sell the house we've been renting for past 3 yrs, however the rents for smaller properties have gone up in the area 300-500 and I swore that if we ever moved again it would be into our own house.

We've about 5k saved, have 15k gift from parent. We have a car loan that we took out last August (due to necessity) and there's no hope of paying that off anytime soon. Went to see broker and without the loan we'd get approved 170k plus, but with it the max is 147k.

Not a great selection for that price in the areas we are looking in.

So the gun is to the head but don't want to buy a house I'm not happy with just because there are no other options.

Just wondering how the car loan affects the amount you can borrow from the bank. How is it worked out?

Is this not only if your (single) income exceeds €50k per below link?

http://www.mortgages.ie/go/first_time_buyers/how_much_can_i_borrow

Nope, we are below both of those figures and we go an exception from two banks. I've not seen those figures before anywhere else except for that website.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

So I got a call from one of the agents I was speaking to last week - a house we're interested in is being shown tomorrow with an open viewing. I'm freaking out, no idea what to even ask or look out for!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

kala85 wrote: »
    Just wondering how the car loan affects the amount you can borrow from the bank. How is it worked out?

It reduces your monthly repayment capacity
    You can only borrow 3.5 times income, but as well as that you have to have X amount for living
    A car loan reduces this repayment capacity.
    As does kids

Once you have the mortgage, then go out and buy the new 5 series. Not the other way around

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

Just to jump in here guys, I'm also saving for a mortgage, I've about 7k saved so far and saving about 800 a month so I'm still miles off where I need to be and feeling like I'll never get there.

Would it be a wise move to invest 5k of my savings in some stocks or bonds (I'm clueless about investments so need to do some research) in the hope to speed things along?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Santy2015 wrote: »
    Thanks, yeah we won't be making any offer. Not until I know fully that we've got approval.

We've viewed about 10 houses in the last few weeks without getting approval. It took us longer than expected to gather all our paperwork after meeting a broker. In the meantime we've been viewing everything in the area we want in the budget broker reckoned we'd get approval on.

The agents haven't directly asked us if we're approved. They've usually asked vague questions about whether we're ready to move.

hardCopy wrote: »
    We've viewed about 10 houses in the last few weeks without getting approval. It took us longer than expected to gather all our paperwork after meeting a broker. In the meantime we've been viewing everything in the area we want in the budget broker reckoned we'd get approval on.

The agents haven't directly asked us if we're approved. They've usually asked vague questions about whether we're ready to move.
    Yeah we viewed 3 houses to day 2 with the same estate agent and one with another. The other estate agent seemed very pushy and went a bit too far in my opinion. He wanted to know there and then did we want to make an offer and I said no we'd need to think about it and he mentioned other bids, the 2 houses we viewed earlier in the day was a great experience as that estate agent was helpful answered all our questions and not once did she mention making offers or other bidders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Just to jump in here guys, I'm also saving for a mortgage, I've about 7k saved so far and saving about 800 a month so I'm still miles off where I need to be and feeling like I'll never get there.

Would it be a wise move to invest 5k of my savings in some stocks or bonds (I'm clueless about investments so need to do some research) in the hope to speed things along?

No, you need to show regular saving for starters. Stocks are akin to gambling and bond yields are low in the short term. A 30/60 day notice savings account maybe but your return will still be low

athtrasna wrote:
    No, you need to show regular saving for starters. Stocks are akin to gambling and bond yields are low in the short term. A 30/60 day notice savings account maybe but your return will still be low

Thanks, any other tips to speed things along? Feels like it's a never ending task at the moment...

Thanks, any other tips to speed things along? Feels like it's a never ending task at the moment...

Bank of Ireland have a mortgage saver account now and you get 10% added on at the end

Santy2015 wrote:
    Bank of Ireland have a mortgage saver account now and you get 10% added on at the end

Just seen that there on consumerhelp.ie. It says no breaks in savings allowed, so does that mean if I commit to saving 800 a month, I'm stuck with that for a defined period or how does it work?

Just seen that there on consumerhelp.ie. It says no breaks in savings allowed, so does that mean if I commit to saving 800 a month, I'm stuck with that for a defined period or how does it work?

I wouldn't be totally sure but a fixed amount each month for a certain period seems right like a year, 2 years etc. I'm too far along at this stage to start it but It does look a great deal for people starting out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭greenorchard

Can I ask what banks offered you an exception & was it difficult to get?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Wow never heard about this, sounds quite interesting. I wonder if it would be worth going with BOI when you take into consideration this extra 10% on savings and the 2% cash back. Will have to sit down and do the maths

Wow never heard about this, sounds quite interesting. I wonder if it would be worth going with BOI when you take into consideration this extra 10% on savings and the 2% cash back. Will have to sit down and do the maths

Defiantly worth a look, I've savings nearly done so it was too late for me to set up the account, but if I was starting it again I'd save with them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

Defiantly worth a look, I've savings nearly done so it was too late for me to set up the account, but if I was starting it again I'd save with them

Have to save for 6 consecutive months and must draw down a BOI mortgage to avail of the 10%.

Factor in the difference in rates too, the short term cash didn't sound too good when I did my numbers, I'd save much more going with a lower rate vendor with no cash back option.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

sozbox wrote: »
    Factor in the difference in rates too, the short term cash didn't sound too good when I did my numbers, I'd save much more going with a lower rate vendor with no cash back option.

Yes true, might be worth it for us though if we are at the max allowable entitlement for the 10% and the 2% cash back. Would be looking to transfer the BOI mortgage as soon as legally possible as well. Lots of small print to read and maths to do but yeah I'd be surprised if it was the better deal in the long run

@greenorchard - we applied for one with all of the banks/lenders and KBC and ebs approved us for it, the rest all approved us to 3.5 * only. No more difficult to applying as per normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

@greenorchard - we applied for one with all of the banks/lenders and KBC and ebs approved us for it, the rest all approved us to 3.5 * only. No more difficult to applying as per normal.

Do you mind me asking if this because you had a healthy amount saved (more than 20%) I would have a great cash deposit, but as I am applying as a single person 3.5 times my salary is not a huge amount. Sorry for all the questions, I just have not heard of this exemption before.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭jennyhayes123

Just for anyone feeling discouraged and like they are a million miles away keep going. Me and my husband saved for so long to be able get a mortgage for us and our 4 kids. We thought we would never get there nut we are now in our new house 4 months and living it. No thanks to our own bank BOI.
    We got it through a fantastic broker on here that was highly recommended.
    Keep on saving and you will get there

Do you mind me asking if this because you had a healthy amount saved (more than 20%) I would have a great cash deposit, but as I am applying as a single person 3.5 times my salary is not a huge amount. Sorry for all the questions, I just have not heard of this exemption before.

I applied as a single applicant and got 4 times salary. Initially approved to 3.5 but I emailed a few weeks later asking for 4 times and they emailed back saying grand.

EBS

• Advertisement

@messy tessy we have the minimum deposit with the new rules but we're both below 30 and the repayments are significantly less than we can afford.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement