Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Water bill being passed onto Landlords

• 02-02-2015 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭

I know this had been talked about before here but Lorraine Higgins was on Morning Ireland this morning and stated that

"We expect that there’ll be legislation brought in over the course of this month where it’ll be possible to put a charge on property. It’ll also be possible for landlords to bill their tenants and take it out of their deposits"

Now this is completely different to what had previously been thought, and basically means they are using Landlords as their money collectors, also likely means landlords will be increasing deposits to cover themselves for this, which is fair enough.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

They haven't a clue what there doing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Lorraine Higgins
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭mel123

I rent and this would make me furious. It takes away my right to choose just because I rent and its just another way for them to rake in more money from people who are not signed up and have no intention of paying.
    But the whole thing has been a shambles from the beginning - as in the organisation of it all - so I wont stress over it because it probably will never happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

cruizer101 wrote: »
    I know this had been talked about before here but Lorraine Higgins was on Morning Ireland this morning and stated that

"We expect that there’ll be legislation brought in over the course of this month where it’ll be possible to put a charge on property. It’ll also be possible for landlords to bill their tenants and take it out of their deposits"...

Its like someone asking for a bucket of steam on their first day of work.

Its got nothing to with a LL how much electric, gas, water a tenant uses.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

cruizer101 wrote: »

"We expect that there’ll be legislation brought in over the course of this month where it’ll be possible to put a charge on property. It’ll also be possible for landlords to bill their tenants and take it out of their deposits"

Now this is completely different to what had previously been thought, and basically means they are using Landlords as their money collectors, also likely means landlords will be increasing deposits to cover themselves for this, which is fair enough.

The landlords in the country should be writing to their TDs, particularly the Labour ones, making it clear that this is not acceptable.

If they are going to charge for water as a utility, they need to stop behaving as though it's a tax. A charge on the property suggests it's a tax, not a utility charge.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

If someone wrecks a place and doesn't pay their Water Bill it's not fair for a LL to be penalised twice as the deposit won't cover the water bill and repairs.

Advertisement