Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Question about number of occupants allowed in a two-bed apartment

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,666 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What do you mean by separate means of escape? Does it not have a window?

Nope. It has a skylight in the ceiling, but a person couldn't get to. And it's heritage building so they couldn't put a window in.

Nope. It has a skylight in the ceiling, but a person couldn't get to. And it's heritage building so they couldn't put a window in.

Most older buildings would have room or structural attributes that wouldn't meet modern fire safety regs though so it shouldn't matter, well it doesn't matter if you are living in your own property anyway maybe its different for renting.

Having seen the regs for new buildings with a friend building a house at the moment the attic conversion we did in my home place would fail on multiple counts if it was modern but as far as I know its fine once it predates the rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

What if the landlord has specified non smokers and the son is, and the mother is a non smoker, invariably, no matter how much someone says they wont, at some stage most smokers are going to have a cig inside.

Just an example of how this might make the landlord unhappy other than not in forming them of another person living at the property not on the lease.

As the OP has stated the rent is below market rate, what if the Landlord just wants in effect a caretaker tenant in who will not increase wear massively and has decided on an older person (woman in this case) suits the bill, hence the lower than market rate rent.
    Not informing the landlord might piss them off if they have given a reduced rate on that basis, they might not be able to change it but the tenant would have to rectify the situation, no matter how temporary getting another job may seem, you cant count on any specific time frame to know it will be resolved, could be indefinite.

Id be informing the landlord but not be suprised if they came back and wanted to renegotiate the rent as the tenant is renegotiating the terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,869 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

cerastes wrote: »
    What if the landlord has specified non smokers and the son is, and the mother is a non smoker, invariably, no matter how much someone says they wont, at some stage most smokers are going to have a cig inside.

Just an example of how this might make the landlord unhappy other than not in forming them of another person living at the property not on the lease.

TBF any person entering the apartment could smoke indoors, or more usually on the balcony/back/front door with the smoke blowing back inside.

If the OPs brother was to injure himself in the apartment who would he sue? If it turns out he's living there temporarily there may be complications making a claim if not registered and insurance companies are fighting claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Where things can get tricky is if the LL doesn't want the person living there, and refuses permission.

Are they allowed refuse I thought they just had to inform like what seamus said above
    16.—In addition to the obligations arising by or under any other enactment, a tenant of a dwelling shall—
    (n) notify in writing the landlord of the identity of each person (other than a multiple tenant) who, for the time being, resides ordinarily in the dwelling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

I would hate to rent from you. Why don't you just install cameras inside the place to keep an eye on the tenant vermin.
    That depends on the LL. I check my place personally about every two months (with all the required notice, at a convenient time) seeing as I don't necessarily trust tenants to tell me in a timely manner that there is a damp patch growing, or the gutter is leaking and dripping inside the wall, or that there is a problem which fs fixed immediately would be preferable for all. It would be pretty obvious if there is someone living (rather than just a guest staying) in the spare room....unless they moved everything out every few weeks, which is an awful lot of effort just to keep something from the LL

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

OP here, thanks for all of the info guys, I discussed it again with my mother and she will speak to the landlady when she calls around next for bills, she will ask her if it's ok rather than inform her that she's doing it. My brother still has another month on his own lease so plenty of time to sort it out. If the landlady wants to up the rent she can't for another 11 months, so my mam is a little afraid that the LL will think she purposely waited til straight after the rent review before bringing it up but that's just not the case. But as I said, their relationship is very good so hopefully she will be ok with it, seeing as it is not a permanent situation (although the timeline is of course vague)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 380 ✭✭macyard

percy212 wrote: »
    I would hate to rent from you. Why don't you just install cameras inside the place to keep an eye on the tenant vermin.

A check to make sure the house is ok from damp/taken care of and check gutters every two months with notice before hand is not excessive

I would find it excessive and inconvenient, and impeding on my quiet enjoyment of my abode.
    macyard wrote: »
    A check to make sure the house is ok from damp/taken care of and check gutters every two months with notice before hand is not excessive

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 380 ✭✭macyard

I would find it excessive and inconvenient, and impeding on my quiet enjoyment of my abode.

Mine does it every 3 months it's a quarterly check, while doing it he will clean the gutters if needed. We keep the place nice so he is here for 5 minutes most times, around the end of Sept check he fills the oil tank with 200l and bleeds the boiler if it got air locked and gives us a hamper for Xmas.

It's never an inconvenience and gives us a weeks notice

• Advertisement

That is great service. I would be happy if mine came quarterly to do repairs. As it is I have to chase and chase for serious things like leaky plumbing.

Del2005 wrote: »
    TBF any person entering the apartment could smoke indoors, or more usually on the balcony/back/front door with the smoke blowing back inside.

If the OPs brother was to injure himself in the apartment who would he sue? If it turns out he's living there temporarily there may be complications making a claim if not registered and insurance companies are fighting claims.

Unless the landlord has advertised for non smokers and has expressly stated they dont want any smoking in the house, Ive come across plenty of non smokers that either live in their own homes or with others and dont smoke indoors, because of either children, a partner/others doesnt want it or because it adheres to every place. Im not opposed to smokers, but it does add to the cleaning up and a place definitely needs to be repainted sooner when smokers have lived in a place.

Every month up till 6 months, thats a definite, probably for at least the first year, maybe every two months after that.
    macyard wrote: »

This, stops things getting out of hand, an example is mould, that no one ever thought might be a problem, things many tenants dont seem to understand how they occur (usually through how someone lives).

You find it excessive and inconvenient for this to happen once a month?
    That is great service. I would be happy if mine came quarterly to do repairs. As it is I have to chase and chase for serious things like leaky plumbing.

eh? this is in contrast to your previous posts?

Why do you care? With a weeks notice I would find it acceptable to inspect quarterly. Anything else would be overbearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,239 ✭✭✭✭Victor

tenant vermin.
    Let's avoid comments like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

Geez. How much do you hate landlords!!!?

Realistically I am probably in Ireland once a quarter. Quarterly is a perfectly acceptable inspection period. And I've fixed things that the tenant has just been leaving. Which is good for everyone

Why do you care? With a weeks notice I would find it acceptable to inspect quarterly. Anything else would be overbearing.

I dont think there is any specific requirement on the notice period, would you decline 48 hours if it wasn't inconvenient to you and that suited the landlord?

What if there was something urgent you needed the landlord to attend to? would you wait a week? or insist on an urgent response?

I dont see how a monthly check is an imposition, landlord probably doesnt want to have to do it, but problems noticed, from being checked in time can usually be fixed easier, quicker and cheaper. Generally tenants dont pay heed to the kind of things that a landlord may be quick in spotting from previous experience, that or they may get out of hand. Its the opposite approach to tenants complaining they cant get a hold of a landlord to fix problems.
    If I couldnt gain access and a problem developed at least one that could be seen by me, then I would put the blame on and charge the tenant even if they didnt cause it, if they didnt notice a problem themselves where I would have or just left it unreported, where it could have been dealt with easier earlier on. If that costs me, Im passing that on.

having a regular inspection is a good thing for a tenant, because they are off the hook for any developing problems or almost any responsibility to even report them.

It just seems like the view here that people will oppose you no matter what you request or say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

OP here, just an update if anyone is interested. The landlady visited yesterday to collect bill money and my mam asked her would it be ok if my brother stayed with her for a few months until he gets a job. She was really cool about it, said that it was no problem. She did however say that if he finds work and for some reason ends up staying with my mam long-term she will up the rent a bit, since they could afford it then, cos she is paying well below market rate (2 bed apartment by a train station in Blanchardstown for €850, identical apartment next door was recently advertised for €1150!). Mostly I think she was just happy to be informed. Thanks everyone for the advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

cerastes wrote: »
    I dont think there is any specific requirement on the notice period, would you decline 48 hours if it wasn't inconvenient to you and that suited the landlord?

What if there was something urgent you needed the landlord to attend to? would you wait a week? or insist on an urgent response?

I dont see how a monthly check is an imposition, landlord probably doesnt want to have to do it, but problems noticed, from being checked in time can usually be fixed easier, quicker and cheaper. Generally tenants dont pay heed to the kind of things that a landlord may be quick in spotting from previous experience, that or they may get out of hand. Its the opposite approach to tenants complaining they cant get a hold of a landlord to fix problems.
    If I couldnt gain access and a problem developed at least one that could be seen by me, then I would put the blame on and charge the tenant even if they didnt cause it, if they didnt notice a problem themselves where I would have or just left it unreported, where it could have been dealt with easier earlier on. If that costs me, Im passing that on.

having a regular inspection is a good thing for a tenant, because they are off the hook for any developing problems or almost any responsibility to even report them.

It just seems like the view here that people will oppose you no matter what you request or say.

Once a month is excessive and the two ideas are compatible. ie yes is a problem develops of course it needs fixing and as we live in the house we do notice. My current landlord has been in the house once in nearly three years and trusts me to instigate emergency repairs. He respects my privacy; the one time he was in the house was a medical emergency and he was making sure the local unreliable medical services arrived.

Advertisement