Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Landlord not fixing heating?

Options
  • 03-02-2011 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭

We are students renting a house from a Landlord in Carlow, We have always paid our rent on time and everything.

However since we have got back from our Christmas Holidays our Gas heating has packed up, due to the winter weather. Our landlord has sent an evaluator if thats what you call him to get quotes etc, but that was nearly 4 weeks ago. (10th January) So since that day we haven't had any heating in our house, bar a fire. Every week he puts it off, telling us it will be next week. We called him last night and he said he will fix it next week but we have heard it before, every week previously.

The cold in our house has been unbearable, but what can we do? 4 weeks without heating is a long time!

What can we do if he doesn't fix it soon? What are our rights for this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

4 weeks withpout heating is too long. Did he give you a reason for the delay? it is possible that he has been unable to find a plumber/ the parts for fixing it, but seems unlikely after so long. I would write a registered letter saying you want it fixed by X date or you will have it fixed yourself and deduct the cost from the rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭PcAngel

Contact threshold. A month is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Azureus

A month without heating?? Thats ridiculous and definately out of order. Contact threshold asap and they'll tell you exactly how to go about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭double GG

silja wrote: »
    4 weeks withpout heating is too long. Did he give you a reason for the delay? it is possible that he has been unable to find a plumber/ the parts for fixing it, but seems unlikely after so long. I would write a registered letter saying you want it fixed by X date or you will have it fixed yourself and deduct the cost from the rent.

He has never given us a reason, Our rent was due on the 12th January so we decided we wouldn't pay till it was fixed, Next day he called and told us when we paid the rent for the month, the heating would be fixed. That was on the 13th January. His excuses since have been, Next week, Early next week and later this week someone will come to look at it.

He said early next week someone will be here to fix the heating, if not we will definitely be taking action. Our Landlord gave us two paltry electric heaters which are somehow supposed to heat the house! Even if they are left on for a few hours they couldn't warm a room one bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

double GG wrote: »

He said early next week someone will be here to fix the heating, if not we will definitely be taking action. Our Landlord gave us two paltry electric heaters which are somehow supposed to heat the house! Even if they are left on for a few hours they couldn't warm a room one bit.

Plus you end up paying the high electricity bill due to the heaters! I'd send him an email now, saying that as per your conversation on X date, you are looking forward to the heating being fixed by coming Wednesday or you'll be organising it yourself. Follow up with a letter tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

ha sounds like my LL bar two days we have had no heating since 24th dec i am fuming with my LL
    did contact threshold but was told that they didnt want to get involved as they may make situation worse HOW THE HELL CAN IT GET ANY WORSE feel sick at the though of the electricity bill :confused::mad:

however i still recommend you contact threshold and make them file a report on it even if they do nothing there is a record of your complaint

Advertisement