Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No water protesters

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I think the relavent word is 'wants'. Is there an onus on the LL to respond?

I would imagine the landlord 'wants' to not be held liable for his tenants water charges. If that's the case, the landlord and IWs wants appear to be aligned.
    listermint wrote: »
    None of this corroborated with current data protection legislation and its amendments since 2008.

And its not like IW to get it all completely wrong exactly the misinformation they were giving out last year.

Id love someone to explain to me how handing over personal information that is not yours to a private utility without that persons explicit consent be it by lease or contract mirrors what is contained in legislation. Unless of course it has been modified recently? Was there some late night Dail sessions I missed honestly looks like they are hanging landlords out to dry.

Id be very careful about this. IW don't care an ounce.

Regardless of the IW position, I've no reason to disbelieve an email from the ODPC unless you have more recent contradictory information from the ODPC.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Graham wrote: »
    I would imagine the landlord 'wants' to not be held liable for his tenants water charges. If that's the case, the landlord and IWs wants appear to be aligned.
    Read the thread. The LL cannot be held liable to his tenants water charges. The same as any utility bill.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Read the thread. The LL cannot be held liable to his tenants water charges. The same as any utility bill.

True, all the landlord needs to do is prove he is not 'the occupier'. However you like to dress it up, the easiest way to do this appears to be the provision of the tenants name to IW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

listermint wrote: »
    None of this corroborated with current data protection legislation and its amendments since 2008.

And its not like IW to get it all completely wrong exactly the misinformation they were giving out last year.

Id love someone to explain to me how handing over personal information that is not yours to a private utility without that persons explicit consent be it by lease or contract mirrors what is contained in legislation. Unless of course it has been modified recently? Was there some late night Dail sessions I missed honestly looks like they are hanging landlords out to dry.

Id be very careful about this. IW don't care an ounce.

Just to give some clarification on this I have read the 1998 -2003 act and its amendments through and unless i am missing a section there isnt anything there to allow a private individual to hand over another private individuals Name and Address to another private entity, IW are not covered under the legislation under entities payable to the state equally as the ESB would not be.

Even their topical questions section and i can imagine this has been a very topical question over the last year doesnt have an ounce to say on the matter

right here for anyone who wishes to view

http://www.dataprotection.ie/viewdoc.asp?m=&fn=/documents/FAQ2012/Topical_Data_Proctection_Issues.htm

It just looks as if everyone is hoping it wont pop up or no one challenges it in court, sure they can say they gave no explicit direction on it either way.

You would have to cover it explicitly in your lease and thats the be all and end all of it.

How do you explain the mail I received from the ODPC? They know more about this sort of thing than you do.

Are they lying to us?

Seriously, just put your hands up and admit when you are either wrong or lying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

garhjw wrote: »
    How do you explain the mail I received from the ODPC? They know more about this sort of thing than you do.

Are they lying to us?

Seriously, just put your hands up and admit when you are either wrong or lying.

Will you stop accusing posters of being liars. You already have sanctions against you in this thread.

/Mod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

What a total and utter shambles this whole IW thing is. It seems that IW will NOT be allowed to cut off water to non-payers (according to that IT article) and that IW will instead seek to get a charge added to a property....BUT if a property is rented, the owner is not liable, so effectively IW will have absolutely no sanction which it can apply in the case of non-paying tenant customers. Only in Ireland.

Advertisement